PDA

View Full Version : Diet and muscle gain

Homz
08-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Aright, I'm 16 and have been lifting for 6 months, give or take. The first few months I was essentially starving myself, and I'm surprised I kept what little muscle I had then, let alone developed more. After I figured that one out, I jumped straight into overtraining, and for a week or two gained a bit of strength and size, and then I stayed there for three more months. Now, I've figured out WHY I'm an idiot, and I'm eating enough and doing a routine that actually gives me some of that fabled "rest" stuff. Problem is, I was always the little chunky kid on the playground. I dropped 60 pounds last year, which was a good start, and couldn't go down past 160. No big deal. Now I'm up to 170, and I've still got that infamous spare tire. I'm considering going on the Atkins thing (it's what worked for that first 60 pounds), but I'm not sure how it'll work out with my lifting. I mean, I hear everywhere it's impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. What do you think?

(sorry about the size of the post, I get carried away)

Ğragons
08-16-2004, 09:10 AM
id never go on the atkins, apart from the health problems, id like to keep some muscle too :p

it probably is difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, thats why people bulk or cut, but u can maintain the muscle u have, while you lose that "spare tire" and then see what ya wanna do, iff u get your diet sorted and consume 1g / 1.5 g protein per lb(bodyweight) u should be ok, calorie controlled of course.

im cutting atm, and im maintaining the muscle i have quite well, still lifting the same ammount as i did say 2 months ago, but the fats coming off, and the muscle is still staying or atleast it looks like it is :)

greetz,

Cris

Paul Stagg
08-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Atkins isn't a good choice for a lifter. I also think it's not such a good choice for a teenager.

I would suggest a more well rounded diet.

Homz
08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Well, as I've said, I've already lost enough of my opportunity to actually gain strength... I don't want to just maintain, I just started squatting, resting enough, all that. I just dunno what to do.