PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein for me... Lab Results..

frankm007
08-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Turns out that one can ingest a little too much protein... i got my lab results and my BUN was 22 (normal range was 6-20).

"BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen): BUN is a waste product derived from protein breakdown in the liver. Increases can be caused by excessive protein intake, kidney damage, certain drugs, low fluid intake, intestinal bleeding, exercise, heart failure or decreased digestive enzyme production by the pancreas. Decreased levels are most commonly due to inadequate protein intake, malabsorption, or liver damage."

I am 5'9-5'10 175lbs and i was ingesting anywhere from 277g to 280g (?30% total calories) of protein... i will lower this to 26 or so... my health over muscle anyday!

Shao-LiN
08-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Or maybe you don't drink enough water, or exercise too much =P.

pu239
08-16-2004, 09:35 PM
How old are you? I'm 25. I recently got my blood tested and the acceptable range (according to this lab) was 5-26. Mine came back at 25.

Paul Stagg
08-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Is that also one of those numbers that can fluctuate wildly?

min
08-17-2004, 05:06 PM
I thought the amount of protein you take in should be at about your weight or just a little more

isn't 260 still too much?

darkdan
08-17-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure it's dependant on the amount of water you're drinking.

I went to give plasma once and they told me the protein in my blood was too high. So I sat there for an hour or two and drank water. Next time they tested it I was okay. They told me to drink more water next time before I came in.

manowar669
08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm a med tech by profession (blood work, etc.) for almost 15 years. I wouldn't sweat BUN until its over 50. I certainly wouldn't change anything in your life based on one set of lab results. If it worries you, get retested in 3-4 months. Keep in mind these "normal ranges" are derived from huge population pools, and should be called "average ranges", and are by no means ideal. Have you seen the "average" american? Walk around Wal-mart sometime and look at them. These are the same people whose blood determines what is considered "normal".

Holto
08-17-2004, 08:27 PM
start drinking *clean* water religously

get retested

and if you have to take protein down to 175g/day don't sweat it

I'm around 200lbs and I only take 100-120g/day

migs
08-18-2004, 05:04 AM
I'm pretty sure it's dependant on the amount of water you're drinking.

I went to give plasma once and they told me the protein in my blood was too high. So I sat there for an hour or two and drank water. Next time they tested it I was okay. They told me to drink more water next time before I came in.

Do you think water just flows into ur blood that easily ? When you drink alot of water dont u go and piss to get rid of it ? There are only degrees to which one can dilute his blood, the way u make it sound is the more water u drink the more dilut ur blood becomes which is wrong. You can only have a certain amount of fluid running in your CVS or else you'd get overload and heart failure. Why do you think they measure the amount of blood in transfusion ?

sublime99
08-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Migs where do you get your information?

hemants
08-18-2004, 08:41 AM
At 175 lbs there is no study to support a protein requirement above 160g per day or so.

ie. any more than that and there's no evidence that it will improve your nitrogen balance Translation : any more than that and it's probably being converted to glucose

adrio
08-18-2004, 10:11 AM
haha, the post about to much water was glorious... i mean, i understand how drinking to much water can feel you up and stuff, but nothing bad to your body... The more water you take in the better. Your whole body is mostly water anyways so the more you take in, the better your muscles function, and longer you stay hydrated and all that good stuff!!! I don't think its going to destroy your heart or anything!!!

-MILLER-

Manveet
08-18-2004, 10:15 AM
start drinking *clean* water religously

get retested

and if you have to take protein down to 175g/day don't sweat it

I'm around 200lbs and I only take 100-120g/day

How many calories do you consume in a day?

darkdan
08-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Obviously you can't drink until your heart is pumping clear liquid through your vains.

But mild dehydration will raise the numbers and could possibly skew the test results to look bad.

pu239
08-18-2004, 03:04 PM
haha, the post about to much water was glorious... i mean, i understand how drinking to much water can feel you up and stuff, but nothing bad to your body... The more water you take in the better. Your whole body is mostly water anyways so the more you take in, the better your muscles function, and longer you stay hydrated and all that good stuff!!! I don't think its going to destroy your heart or anything!!!

Actually, if you drink too much water your brain can swell and you can die, but I don't know what that amount it. It's a lot, but it has happened. I believe it's called water intoxication (hyponatremia).

TBone4Eva
08-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Do you think water just flows into ur blood that easily ? When you drink alot of water dont u go and piss to get rid of it ? There are only degrees to which one can dilute his blood, the way u make it sound is the more water u drink the more dilut ur blood becomes which is wrong. You can only have a certain amount of fluid running in your CVS or else you'd get overload and heart failure. Why do you think they measure the amount of blood in transfusion ?
Uh...actually it does. How do you think that water got to your kidneys and into you bladder? I'll tell you, it was absorbed through your intestines and into your blood where your body determined there was too much at one time and told your kidneys to get rid of it. As far as I know there is no tube or anything leading from the stomach or intestines to the bladder.

Talontsiawd
08-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Actually, if you drink too much water your brain can swell and you can die, but I don't know what that amount it. It's a lot, but it has happened. I believe it's called water intoxication (hyponatremia).

That won't happen under normal circumstances. Why that is even known is because the E-tards at rave clubs drink and drink and drink while on their drugs.

migs
08-19-2004, 04:01 AM
Hyponatremia means low Sodium levels. That is a good point though, dehydration though is more common than overhydration, the body can come up with several ways to get rid of excess water but not to manufacture it.

And I was replying Darkdan's post where he said that the more you drink the more you dilute your blood(meaning your blood volume increases, if that was correct it would cause Heart Failure in theory). And T-bone that is correct it does go through the blood to the bladder and kidneys but not all of it, since someone already mentioned our body is made out of more than 60% water, some of the fluid goes to your organs, the rest excreted through pores, urininary system and some through your faeces. But think of it this way, if you drink 3 litres of water do you think your blood volume will become +3L ?

Sublime Im a 5th yr medical student.