PDA

View Full Version : eat before or after training?

wmiller
10-26-2001, 07:29 AM
Ok, this is what I typically do.

I down a protein shake when I get home from work.
Wait about 1 1/2 hrs and then I go to the gym.
When I get home I eat dinner.

Last night my wife was in one of her moods to go out for dinner. So I said ok, but I told her I want to be home in time to go to the gym. I ate pretty clean, but probably could have been better but owell. I was in the gym about 1hr 15min after finishing my meal, and I felt like I was on anabolics. Everything felt light, I used more weight, and had more energy than I ever have. When I got home, I downed a protein shake before I hit the hay.

Should I eat train then do a shake? I remember Paul saying in one of his posts that it is important to eat after training, and that is what I have been doing. Maybe I should eat train and then eat again. Whats the deal?

IceRgrrl
10-26-2001, 07:40 AM
That's what I do...eat something light about an hour or two before and then eat again right afterwards. Everyone has their own preferences though...

Just experiment...if it worked for you, try it again and see if you keep feeling good. Maybe you stumbled onto something...

syntekz
10-26-2001, 07:46 AM
Protein shake vs. a full meal. What has more calories, more carbs, more energy, etc.? The full meal; that's probably why your weights seemed lighter and you had more energy.

You should eat before you workout. At least an hour before to let the food have time to start digesting and start being used as energy. Another thing; if you workout too soon you are more likely to get stomach aches or throw up. Especially when doing squats, deads, etc. (Exercises that take a lot out of you, literally)

After your workout you want a quick protein and carb source. I usually eat around 70 grams of carbs and 40-50 grams of protein as soon as I get home and than about 90 minutes later I'll eat another regular meal before I go to bed.

Working out depletes your body of nutrients and you need to replenish your body as quickly as possible after you are done working out.

Wizard
10-26-2001, 07:55 AM
Preworkout: You need a light meal with equal carbs(complex low gi) and protein (ex. 30g. protein/30 g. carbs) without fat(for maximum growth hormone release while you're working out).

Postworkout: You need high gi simple carbs (ex. dextrose) with some protein(ex. whey) without any fat.Try to have 2-2,5g. of carbs for every 1g. of protein.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-26-2001, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Wizard
Postworkout: You need high gi simple carbs

tuttut

the doc
10-26-2001, 10:43 AM
[b]Preworkout:[/b...without fat(for maximum growth hormone release while you're working out).

:tuttut:lol

if you want maximum growth hormone release taking carbs before workout is counter productive
insulin is anagonistic in relation to growth hormone thus its release (from low or high gi) is counter productive in this regard

wmiller
10-26-2001, 11:46 AM
Ok, so am I understanding this right?

Low carbs before training, and low carbs for last meal of the day?

Tryska
10-26-2001, 03:51 PM
dude honestly....if whatever you ate beforehand helped you get a good workout...go for it.

for me it's a protein/fat snackie snack prior, and then some milk and whey post.

the doc
10-26-2001, 10:34 PM
milk = tuttut

j/k

:dj:

Wizard
10-27-2001, 04:10 AM
Preworkout: You need a light meal with equal carbs(complex low gi) and protein (ex. 30g. protein/30 g. carbs) without fat(for maximum growth hormone release while you're working out).
Some low gi carbs are usually needed to achieve maximum performance.

Postworkout: You need high gi simple carbs (ex. dextrose) with some protein(ex. whey) without any fat.Try to have 2-2,5g. of carbs for every 1g. of protein.

Sorry Chigs!I meant:You may have some high gi..:D

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-27-2001, 04:56 AM
good good :)

Tryska
10-27-2001, 05:18 AM
doc..*lol* i know. and i don't care! :eek:

i also don't eat for about an hour after working out. :eek: :eek:

Wizard
10-27-2001, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Tryska

i also don't eat for about an hour after working out. :eek: :eek:
:eek:
tuttut

Tryska
10-27-2001, 05:50 AM
i know i know....

eating is not one of those things i'm good at.:(

Wizard
10-27-2001, 05:55 AM
Hmm... in which things are you good at? ;)

Tryska
10-27-2001, 05:58 AM
most everything else....;)

Wizard
10-27-2001, 06:08 AM
Cool!I'll check you out..
:nod:

notSoBig Guy
10-27-2001, 01:08 PM
I do what I want. Sometimes I'll eat a small meal one hour before a workout and banana 20 minutes before. Never phased me, it actually helps me. I also take one capsule ECA before a workout.

Wizard
10-27-2001, 04:32 PM
A banana would fit better in the preworkout than in the postworkout because it contains fructose.

johny walker
10-27-2001, 06:37 PM
everyday 75 mins before a workout I have a protein shake and a bagel with cream cheese and It doesn't get me bloated at all and it gives me the energy to propel me through my workout. If I eat fructose by itself I tend to feel slugish in the middle of my workout. After my workout I have approx 50 grams of whey protein with 105 grams of dextrose and recovery is excellent. If you eat high glycemic foods righ after your workout they will not turn into fat, but for best results try to have your post workout drink 5 minutes after each workout. I have my postoworkout right after my last set, I run to the lockers and have my post workout drink right away. I have noticed that having your post workout drink right away after and 10 minutes after can make a big difference in your muscle fullness and your recovery.
johny walker.:cool: