PDA

View Full Version : More testosterone = hair loss?

Mikael
08-17-2004, 09:09 PM
I've been thinking about this recently.

Lifting weights makes your testosterone level go up, right? Or so I've read.

And, in turn, doesn't a high testosterone level make your hair fall off?

so... Anything wrong with this logic? (I'm not losing hair, at least I hope I'm not, but I get the impression a lot of the really big guys you see at gyms are bald or balding...)

Piatchi
08-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Testosterone levels generally do not influx all that much from natural weightlifting. Many times male and female bodybuilders alike will take testosterone to help bulk up. The side effects from taking that include balding, but balding is the least of your problems.

restless
08-18-2004, 02:51 AM
The increase in testosterone from training is temporary. It really is a non issue. A lot of the big guys are bald because of the AAS not because of the training.

Minotaur
08-22-2004, 03:18 PM
If your hair follicles are sensitive to DHT, the active forn of testosterone, you will go bald. If they are not sensitive, you will not go bald, no matter what level of testosterone.

And as the others said weight training doesn't spike your testosterone THAT much.

restless
08-22-2004, 03:36 PM
If your hair follicles are sensitive to DHT, the active forn of testosterone

What do you mean with the active form of testosterone?

kazzy
08-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Male-Pattern Balding
Male-pattern balding, the most common type of balding in men, is controlled by a single dominant autosomal gene. This type of balding usually starts at the temples and then will gradually recede to form an "M" shape on the head. The hair on the top of the head will start to thin out. Over time, the male is left with a horseshoe-shaped pattern of hair around his head. Some males will have only a receding hairline or bald spots on the crowns of their heads. The hair that remains in the balding areas starts out as long, thick, and pigmented and changes into fine, unpigmented sprouts that grow at a slower rate. If a man begins losing his hair during his mid-teen years, there is a good chance he will become completely bald on top of his head.

Androgenic alopecia (AGA) is another factor that can cause male-pattern baldness. Androgenic alopecia is caused by three factors: advanced age, an inherited tendency to bald early, and an overabundance of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a highly active form of testosterone within the hair follicle. DHT influences male behavior, from the sex drive to aggression. Testosterone converts to DHT by 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme produced in the prostate, various adrenal glands, and the scalp. What appears to happen is that DHT (and perhaps other androgenic hormones) causes the immune system to react to the hair follicles in the affected areas as foreign bodies. This is suggested by the presence of hair-follicle antibodies, as well as by the infiltration of immune system cells around the hair follicles of balding men (as well as women).

restless
08-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Well, since the name is di-hydro-testosterone I guess it makes some sense to call it that, but saying it's "the active form of testosterone" kind of sounds like testosterone itself is inactive, or has no binding afinifty to the androgen receptor, which is not true. DHT has greater afinity, but testosterone also does have some.

Minotaur
08-23-2004, 05:02 PM
I used layman's terms. This is not PubMed. :rolleyes:

zen
08-23-2004, 05:25 PM
DHT can become excessive if your testosterone becomes elevated beyond your body's natural feedback systems which are designed to counter the effects of one type of hormone going out of kilter. In other words, DHT usually isn't out of hand if you have natural levels of testosterone according to how your own system attempts to regulate it.
But just like other things, some peoples folicles are more receptive to binding sites than others. Some people's test is more anabolic in its effects, while other people's is more androgenic. Two people can have the same amount of syrum testosterone while one has a lot more DHT. Your physiology is a crap shoot. It's the luck of the deal that you get dealt to you from your parents.

Mikael
09-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Hmm.. there seems to be contradictory info here... I'd just like to have things clear in my head:

so, does testosterone increase from weightlifting have a 0% chance of making me bald when I otherwise wouldn't have become bald? Or is there that tiny little chance?

I just want to be absolutely certain about this...

TBone4Eva
09-01-2004, 07:08 PM
You'll be fine. You won't go bald from working out. If you take steroids then that is a different story.

London_Guy
09-02-2004, 06:38 AM
Losing hair is purely genetic.

All the steroids in the world won't make you lose hair if you are'nt genetically pre-determined to. On the other hand, if you look at your dad, your grandad, and all the males in your mothers side of the family - and they're losing hair - then you have fair chance of inheriting those genes.

The testosterone increases from working out is not significant enough to cause hair loss - and if it was - then there would be bald gym-goers all over the country - and is there? No. :)

brianbob123
09-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Losing hair is purely genetic.

All the steroids in the world won't make you lose hair if you are'nt genetically pre-determined to. On the other hand, if you look at your dad, your grandad, and all the males in your mothers side of the family - and they're losing hair - then you have fair chance of inheriting those genes.

I'm pretty sure baldness is from the mom's side of the family. For the same reason more men are colorblind than woman, more men are bald. It has to do with the x and y chromosome. For an y, it can't fit both characteristics and uses the one from the mother.

razorcut
09-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Losing hair is purely genetic. All the steroids in the world won't make you lose hair if you are'nt genetically pre-determined to.
Not true. That's like saying all the chemotherapy in the world won't make you lose your hair unless you're genetically predetermined to do so. No one is genetically predetermined to go on anabolic steroids. Baldness is a well known side effect of AS.....genetically susceptible or not. The baldness can be more severe in those with a genetic predisposition, but it can happen to anyone.

Severed Ties
09-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Hmm.. there seems to be contradictory info here... I'd just like to have things clear in my head:

so, does testosterone increase from weightlifting have a 0% chance of making me bald when I otherwise wouldn't have become bald? Or is there that tiny little chance?

I just want to be absolutely certain about this...

There is zero chance weight lifting is going to make you bald, if your losing hair then you can blame your genes.

ST

Severed Ties
09-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Not true. That's like saying all the chemotherapy in the world won't make you lose your hair unless you're genetically predetermined to do so. No one is genetically predetermined to go on anabolic steroids. Baldness is a well known side effect of AS.....genetically susceptible or not. The baldness can be more severe in those with a genetic predisposition, but it can happen to anyone.

Not everyone goes bald from AAS, as was said above the genetic traits for MPB must exist for AAS to induce baldness. Chemotherapy does not cause MPB, it is an immune system response that cuases Telogen Effluvium which cause hair to be shed from the follicle.

ST

SpecialK
09-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure baldness is from the mom's side of the family. For the same reason more men are colorblind than woman, more men are bald. It has to do with the x and y chromosome. For an y, it can't fit both characteristics and uses the one from the mother.

I think that is a myth. I have visited several hairloss sites and all of them said you can inherit hairloss from either side. If you want I can find a link, although it's probably listed on www.regrowth.com somewhere.

Also, and I have not researched this, but maybe women are much less likely to bald because their levels of testosterone are so much lower than men's, so less of it can convert to DHT? I don't really know...

ogarchamplin
09-17-2004, 07:51 PM
i take 10mgs a day or AndroGel because of Hypogonadism, now i shave my head on purpose but last month i let it grown back for the hell of it and i still had a full head of hair. Now i shaved it again but no hair loss for me and I work out 5 days a week