PDA

View Full Version : newbie's guide to getting lean

Patrick74
08-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Black coffee to keep hydrated??Are you kidding??Who moderates these articles??Someone should have caught that.

IdaMAN
08-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Read much?

AstronautJones
08-18-2004, 02:20 AM
You completely took that out of context. It says to drink a gallon of water per day to keep hydrated, and also to help keep you full. Besides water, coffee and other beverages can also be consumed to help keep you "full".

Heck of a first post to be criticizing the folks that moderate, but welcome to WBB.

blkbelt65
08-20-2004, 06:24 AM
I agree, Your FIRST Post and you start by bashing Moderators??? Not a good way to start if you plan to stay... :thumbup:

Patrick74
08-22-2004, 07:05 AM
come on......to a newbie reading the article you can't see how is was takin out of context.the author if he had tooken a high scool writing class would now that paragraphs are grouped by a main idea.you throw hydrated into the same subject as black coffee it can be taken out of context.I agree cafeine has its place as an effective thermogenic but it was put into the wrong subject.as far as bashing moderators maybe i was out of line but the paragraph read Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine,i thoght the article was geared towards newbies and not just to impress other professionals.

ryuage
08-22-2004, 07:28 AM
to a person who has taken a high school writing class... would spell school correctly.. not only that, but they would know how to use take in the past tense, such as taken wthell is tooken. not to mention they would know that caffeine is spelled with two f's not 1, how's that? :)

TheGimp
08-22-2004, 07:34 AM
And that letters following a period are capitalised...

I thought it was so ridiculous that I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was being ironic.

AstronautJones
08-22-2004, 09:10 PM
come on......to a newbie reading the article you can't see how is was takin out of context.the author if he had tooken a high scool writing class would now that paragraphs are grouped by a main idea.you throw hydrated into the same subject as black coffee it can be taken out of context.I agree cafeine has its place as an effective thermogenic but it was put into the wrong subject.as far as bashing moderators maybe i was out of line but the paragraph read Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine,i thoght the article was geared towards newbies and not just to impress other professionals.

Amongst this rambling, I think you're trying to apologize. You misunderstood the article, now it's cleared up. Lets drop it.

Saint Patrick
08-22-2004, 09:30 PM
I wrote the article, and it was then edited by Maki.

I never recommended black coffee to keep hydrated, and I don't think Maki did either.

Sport_Scientist
08-23-2004, 04:12 AM
black coffee has as we all know, caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you. Drinking something that dehydrates you to hydrate yourself?

fen2zla
08-23-2004, 04:41 AM
black coffee has as we all know, caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you. Drinking something that dehydrates you to hydrate yourself?

Did you read the article? It was taken completely out of context.

AstronautJones
08-23-2004, 03:23 PM
black coffee has as we all know, caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic. Diuretics dehydrate you.

Dang scientist school did him well!

David
08-23-2004, 07:02 PM

Somebody get this man a spell checker.
:rolleyes:

Jasonl
08-23-2004, 07:11 PM
If you're drinking a 1+ gallon of water daily it will not be a problem.

Vido
08-23-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm sure that the author of the article did not have any intention of implying that black coffee would keep you hydrated. Perhaps it wasn't worded optimally, but there's no point in nit-picking for semantics.

The thing I don't really understand (other than the fact that the guy who wrote the article is a Starbucks junkie) is why black coffee is even being mentioned at all. It's not exactly a beverage I would be recommending. I mean, of course, it's not going to kill you or anything, but neither is a candy bar and I wouldn't be recommending one of those in a "getting lean" article either. If someone wants to drink coffee then fine, but I think the list of recommended beverages should cease after plain old H2O.

Maki Riddington
08-23-2004, 08:48 PM
I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Is this the quote in question?

"Beverages help you fight feelings of hunger and give your stomach that “full” feeling. Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine (see supplement section below)."

From what I read it seems to me that someone is not reading properly. The author is simply mentioning that besides water, some caffiene is fine since many people are not willing to give up their daily shot of caffiene. The author then goes on to explain that this can be a benefit.

And to Sports Scientist, you need to go back to personal training academy and take a refresher course. However, in the meantime while you are waiting to reregister let me get you started.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12187618

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=2383801

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002/ja/caffdehydnbfi402.cfm

Saint Patrick
08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
And to Sports Scientist, you need to go back to personal training academy and take a refresher course. However, in the meantime while you are waiting to reregister let me get you started.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12187618

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=2383801

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002/ja/caffdehydnbfi402.cfm

ROFL.

AllUp
08-24-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Is this the quote in question?

"Beverages help you fight feelings of hunger and give your stomach that “full” feeling. Drinking at least a gallon of water per day is the norm for most active strength trainers. It is important to keep the body hydrated Besides water, you can drink some hot beverages, such as black coffee or green tea, both of which have caffeine (see supplement section below)."

Seems pretty self-explanitory to me. :D

Basically even if you're having other beverages which contain water and may be hot (i.e. green tea and/or coffee, some of the most consumed beverage alternatives) its all good, these alternate beverages can be used to help meet your daily water intake requirements as they are mostly water.

HemiVision
08-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Seems pretty self-explanitory to me. :D

Basically even if you're having other beverages which contain water and may be hot (i.e. green tea and/or coffee, some of the most consumed beverage alternatives) its all good, these alternate beverages can be used to help meet your daily water intake requirements as they are mostly water.

Actually that's not true. If you're going to drink diuretics, you just need to drink MORE water to compensate.

Saint Patrick
08-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Actually that's not true. If you're going to drink diuretics, you just need to drink MORE water to compensate.

Correct.

TBone4Eva
08-25-2004, 10:23 AM
The real question is, does the amount of diuretics in a drink completely cancel out the amount of water that the drink contains? A cup of coffee is about, what, 90-95% water? So, will the amount of caffine in a cup of coffee cause me to urinate more than a cup of water?

Patrick74: It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bash someone on grammar and attempt to educate on the proper use of grammar, all while creating the very errors yourself in that very paragraph. Also, if you are going to quote something, please use the proper punctuation marks ("").

HemiVision
08-25-2004, 11:32 AM
The real question is, does the amount of diuretics in a drink completely cancel out the amount of water that the drink contains? A cup of coffee is about, what, 90-95% water? So, will the amount of caffine in a cup of coffee cause me to urinate more than a cup of water?

It probably wouldn't, but that depends on how much caffeine was in the coffee and what your total daily caffeine intake is.

If you're going to drink enough coffee to boost athletic performance, or take a caffeine supplement, the diuretic effect is a real concern. If you're just having a cup or two a day you probably don't need to adjust your water intake. I drink the extra water anyway, just to be on the safe side... and coffee makes me thirsty.

More important is that the diuretic effect robs your body of vitamins and minerals - one more reason to take a daily multivitamin.

Saint Patrick
08-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Patrick: It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bash someone on grammar and attempt to educate on the proper use of grammar, all while creating the very errors yourself in that very paragraph. Also, if you are going to quote something, please use the proper punctuation marks ("").

:confused: Where did I bash anyone for grammar?

BTW I already said that my article was edited after I wrote it.....

TBone4Eva
08-25-2004, 11:09 PM
LOL, not you SP :) . The other Patrick. You know, the guy that started the thread. I better edit that and put the 74 in there. My bad for the confusion.

Saint Patrick
08-26-2004, 02:05 AM
Lol

Patrick74
08-27-2004, 11:16 PM
With Arms As Big As My Head My Advice To You Is To Do A Handstand And Inject Folgers Into Your Ass With A Turkey Baster

Saint Patrick
08-28-2004, 12:15 AM
*sniff* :cry:

IdaMAN
08-28-2004, 12:24 AM
I take it you know from experience?

Patrick74
08-28-2004, 09:45 AM
I apologize to the author.I did take it out of context and by the time it was explained to me I was getting bashed and felt I had to respond.To everyone else I wish you many hernias.

Saint Patrick
08-28-2004, 01:13 PM
:)

edge-man
08-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Or should that be herniae? :D

I know its not, just messin.