PDA

View Full Version : Is it really this simple?

Bimmerboy
08-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Is it this simple to calculate total calorie gain/deficit for one day?

net calories = food cals - cals used in exercise

For example, suppose I ate 2500 cals for food in one day and performed weightlifting + cardio that required 750 cals (even after the calorie burning effects of post-cardio wore off). Would my net calories be 2500 - 750 = 1750? Or are things more complicated than this?

Manveet
08-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Is it this simple to calculate total calorie gain/deficit for one day?

net calories = food cals - cals used in exercise

For example, suppose I ate 2500 cals for food in one day and performed weightlifting + cardio that required 750 cals (even after the calorie burning effects of post-cardio wore off). Would my net calories be 2500 - 750 = 1750? Or are things more complicated than this?

You also have to consider calories burned by the body at rest.

Here's a more complicated equation (albeit, not by much)

Calorie balance = cal from food - (cals for resting metabolism + cal from physical exercise + cal used to digest food (although this could be a part of metabolism) + cal lost in excreta)

Bimmerboy
08-18-2004, 10:25 AM
How many calories are lost in excreta as you mention? 1%-2%? It is really that significant or does it depend on the amount and type of food eaten?

Thanks for help.

Manveet
08-18-2004, 10:51 AM
How many calories are lost in excreta as you mention? 1%-2%? It is really that significant or does it depend on the amount and type of food eaten?

Thanks for help.

Not a whole lot. I mean all of those bodily proccess could be placed under resting metabolism.