PDA

View Full Version : Margarine better than peanut butter for fat??

Allyrulez
08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I rarely eat fatty fish, so have to supplement my fat with peanut butter

But i read the nutritional info for margarine and saw how much fat you get in that... Is it healthy to just eat a huge blob of it?? Is it better than peanut butter (seem to get more fat for the 100g)

RBC13
08-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Definitely not. If you want more poly you really should try walnuts. They are packed with omega 3 and poly coincidentally, and i think of them in the same frame of thought as fish without cholesterol. Margarine has TRANS fat, that you don't want, and has empty calories. You should never eat butter alone, unless your life depends on it! If you really want fat from a butter type substance, oil or smartbalance is the way to go(it is a combination of oils and other chemicals), and is not PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED.

djreef
08-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Pick up some fish oil caplets from SAM'S. They're only , like $6 for 300 1000mg gel caps. Pop a few of those a day. SAM'S also sells flax seed oil caplets now.

DJ
= 8-->{I>

TheGimp
08-19-2004, 02:33 AM
Peanutbutter is not really a substitute for fatty fish. Although it is a good source of neutral monounsaturated fat, it is a poor source of essential fatty acids, which is the reason for eating fatty fish and supplementing with fish oil.

I am unsure therefore whether you are looking for alternative sources of EFAs - fish and flaxseed oils - or simply healthy sources of fat. In the latter case I would recommend sources of largely monounsaturated fat such as olive oil, avocados and nuts. If your aim is to get a lot of fat in easily then oil is best.

I would not describe walnuts as packed with omega-3s. Firstly the fat is in the form of ALA/LA and has to be converted to EPA/DHA which is a very inefficient process. Secondly, one would have to eat about 80 grams of walnuts to get the same amount as in a tablespoon of flax oil.

Allyrulez
08-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Wow cool info!!!!!

Yeah I'll ditch the margarine. Shame thou, it was amusing to eat a big blob of slimey death!!!

Im just looking for ANY good fat, i dont know all the techy stuff, i just know im not getting enough. I had flax oil capsules but they are pricey

I'll stick to Olive oil, cheers... Maybe try walnuts

JTyrell710
08-19-2004, 03:48 PM
oilive oil+sesame oil shots

thecityalive
07-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Is it healthy to just eat a huge blob of it??

I lol'd at work reading that.

IronRanger
07-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Fish oil has alot of health benefits. I buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Natural-Concentrate-Omega-3/dp/B000EQW3ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311550020&sr=8-1

There was recent hoopla regarding fish oil supplements. Kirkland brand was on the heavy metal-free list.