PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Fitness / Difficulty

technogeeky
08-19-2004, 01:20 PM
My friend and I were discussing this issue a few days ago. A few questions about cardiovascular health:

1. Is there some generic bottom for sedentary people - the "probable minimum".

2. Is there some "probable maximum". I know Olymipic atheletes, etc etc will train for years to get that last little bit out of their bodies. At what point does this start?

3. How long can you estimate training will move you from the baseline to the top? For a picture view of what I'm estimating:

olympic athelete
college athelete

high school athelete

"maximum" - able to run for hours and hours

"minimum" - sedentary, but not in bad health specifically.

Any thoughts on this?

Basically, I want to be able to run and enjoy it - I don't want to win any races, but I want to finish. :)

sublime99
08-19-2004, 01:29 PM
To be able to maybe run a marathon and finish, consistent training for about a year, i did it. The biggest thing i see hindering you right now is your weight, you should start with a good lean diet and start with 3 -4 days of cardio a week i.e. elliptical machines, stationary bike low impact cardio. If you loose about 30 lbs first running will be not only easier but you will love it by the time you start to do it because you have already half way conditioned your body to have your heart rate elevated and lungs functionoing at a higher capacity. Running is not easy and hard for some than others you just have to be determned and get through the aches and pains of it initially.

to answer you question better to be able to enjoy running i couldn't tell you, i would say after you get through the first 5-9 months of aches and pains and your body becomes accustom to running.

technogeeky
08-19-2004, 01:31 PM
To be able to maybe run a marathon and finish, consistent training for about a year, i did it. The biggest thing i see hindering you right now is your weight, you should start with a good lean diet and start with 3 -4 days of cardio a week i.e. elliptical machines, stationary bike low impact cardio. If you loose about 30 lbs first running will be not only easier but you will love it by the time you start to do it because you have already half way conditioned your body to have your heart rate elevated and lungs functionoing at a higher capacity. Running is not easy and hard for some than others you just have to be determned and get through the aches and pains of it initially.

That's what I suspected for me - but I was asking this on a more theoretical level.

Is there a baseline that most people can't go under? Is there a science around this issue, perhaps?

sublime99
08-19-2004, 01:33 PM
I think you are thinking about it too much, just get out there and excercise, you will hate it for a good long while but once your body acclimates you will start to enjoy it more and look forward to it.

technogeeky
08-19-2004, 01:38 PM
I think you are thinking about it too much, just get out there and excercise, you will hate it for a good long while but once your body acclimates you will start to enjoy it more and look forward to it.

:bang:

I'm just asking a theoretical question. I'm not asking for advice, I am asking for theory.

Ğragons
08-19-2004, 01:58 PM
when i first startedi was well overweight and unhealthy, could do around 3 mins on the rowing machine, id be sweating, and id have to go home,
now i can do 20 mins none stop, and quite fast too, without hardly breaking a sweat, i swear im gonna do 1 hour next week, iff my knee holds up :p

Vido
08-19-2004, 06:59 PM
when i first startedi was well overweight and unhealthy, could do around 3 mins on the rowing machine, id be sweating, and id have to go home,
now i can do 20 mins none stop, and quite fast too, without hardly breaking a sweat, i swear im gonna do 1 hour next week, iff my knee holds up :p

Sweating has nothing to do with your cardiovascular ability. It is your body's cooling system...it is healthy. I'd be more worried if I was doing intense cardio and NOT sweating.

technogeeky
08-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Any takers on the original question?