PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a diet?

WorkHard
08-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I am new here and for a while i have wanted to put on weight (and gain muscle at the same time) but as i have an active lifestyle (usually out between 2pm to 10pm) and am quit picky with my food i have found it quite hard... I am 5ft10, 16 and weight around 8 stone. I enjoy eating most food like pasta, meat, chicken, eggs, pizza etc etc and dont mind adjusting to new food.. I started pushing weights around 2 weeks ago and avoid situps to keep body fat :)

Can anyone help me out by suggesting a diet i can enjoy and stick to?

Thank you.

Vido
08-19-2004, 06:24 PM
First off, situps don't burn bodyfat, so go ahead and work your abs.

Now, the foods you listed are perfectly acceptable (keep the pizza to a minimum if you put on fat easily), so why don't you just eat them? The key is tracking your calories. This makes it much easier to adjust food intake up or down accordingly as your proceed on your quest to a larger physique.

WorkHard
08-20-2004, 03:49 PM
How many time should i eat a day? I was thinking around 5 times which would be,

breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

and 2 or 3 small snack meals ie nuts, sandwich, milk and fruit.

---

The reason i ask is i believe i eat well anyway but find it very hard to put on weight, maybe due to a fast metabolism? but i am not sure, it seems the supplement milkshakes might help me in slowing it down slightly (can you suggest a cheap but effective milkshake supplemet)

Also any other tips to stick to this diet and gain weight effectively?

Vido
08-20-2004, 07:29 PM
As long as you're eating at least 2-3 times/day you'll be fine. Most people prefer more, smaller meals to fewer, larger ones, but as long as you're getting enough calories in you'll be alright. Your best bet is to figure out how many calories you need to be eating (evidently more than you currently are) and divide that by the number of meals you wish to consume to get the portion size of each.

WorkHard
08-22-2004, 06:08 AM
how can i work out how many calories i need???

thanks.

Ğragons
08-22-2004, 07:39 AM
hmmm, i think its "bodyweight x 12 or 14" work that out, and i think thats what u should start bulking at, iirc , then add calories each week, so your adding 1lb a week or so

goodgrowin'
08-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Obviously, remember to use bodyweight in pounds, not stones before you multiply by 12 to 14. I can't imagine how hungry you would be otherwise!

Vido
08-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Formulas aren't that good anyway, but if you do choose to use one 12-14 x bodyweight in lbs is more of a cutting formula if you ask me. If you have trouble putting on weight, starting at 20 x bodyweight is probably more accurate and then you can adjust from there.