PDA

View Full Version : Reaching your Calorie Quota

GonnabeBig
08-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Okay, I am a poor college student, and am about to start what I aim to make a HUGE bulking period. With my high metabolism, I need LOTS of calories, but I'm not exactly sure how many exactly. Does anyone have a general formula or process that they use to zero in on the perfect amount of calories for a bulking phase? Thanks!

Saint Patrick
08-21-2004, 02:14 AM
What's your current body weight?

Vido
08-21-2004, 04:21 PM
A general formula would put you at about 20 calories x your bodyweight in lbs if you have a fast metabolism. Start at that and adjust accordingly...probably up.

WillKuenzel
08-21-2004, 04:35 PM
There is no perfect formula. General rule of thumb is to keep adding calories each week until you are gaining about a pound a week.

GonnabeBig
08-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Weighing in at 160 lbs, 5'10 Patrick. I have pics up in the pic forum.

So if I end up gaining more than a pound a week, I should cut back on calories?

Ğragons
08-22-2004, 10:51 AM
i think 1-2 lbs a week wouldnt hurt, but if u have a fast metab likeu say, u probably wont gain more than 1lb per week, keep adding calories to keep adding weight, iff u end up like 3-4lbs per week, it might just be fat and its not all needed is it :p

Vido
08-22-2004, 12:20 PM
So if I end up gaining more than a pound a week, I should cut back on calories?

Well, you be the judge. Some weeks you might gain more, some less. Watch yourself in the mirror, that's more important than scale weight.

GonnabeBig
08-22-2004, 10:48 PM
awesome guys thanks for the advice!

Feminator
08-23-2004, 06:38 AM
Well, you be the judge. Some weeks you might gain more, some less. Watch yourself in the mirror, that's more important than scale weight.

I don't know, differences in the mirror can take months before you realise which way your weight's going. With scales if there's a change you can spot it within a week or so, especially if you follow the moving average.

Vido
08-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I don't know, differences in the mirror can take months before you realise which way your weight's going. With scales if there's a change you can spot it within a week or so, especially if you follow the moving average.

Bodybuilding is about looks. The mirror shows you how you are looking...a scale cannot do that. Just because one is bulking doesn't mean gaining weight is a good thing, if it's the wrong kind of weight. Thus, you need the mirror to inform you of whether or not those lbs you are gaining are lean or not.

FrenchTickler
08-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey bro, I just want to say good luck this comming semester (class room and weightroom). College is really the best time of your life. I'm heading into my second year and I can tell you theres no better way to judge your progress then the ladies. They are the best judges. When they start giving you compliments, you know your doing something right :D. It's amazing littearlly watching all the other guys your age gain fat while you kick it into gear in the weight room and impress everybody. It's purely motivational.

Scott S
08-23-2004, 10:41 PM
I didn't read the question, but olive oil.