PDA

View Full Version : I an truely going nuts- - getting desparate too!

yakabebe
08-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Im in training for a bbuilding comp - 8 weeks to go

Thought I'd try the low carb

I thought if i was good and started on a Monday ....maybe by Wed or Thur I'd show some ketones

OK - heres my big worry!!

I have had extremely low carbs now for close to TWO weeks and only using imagination can I see a colour change on the strips. A friend has done what I have and he's went real dark by Thur - i even bought new strips!

Diet...boring but simple and i've been religious

AM - 2 eggs with 1 egg white
MidAM - protein shake with <.1 g of carbs mixed in H2O
Lunch...~300 gm chicken with lettuce and say 15 g cheese
Mid PM protein shake with <.1 g of carbs mixed in H2O
Dinner - 400-500 g of chicken steak or lamb
Plenty of H2O

Each day at least 1 heavy gym or aerobic session

No alcohol

No being naughty....none!!!

So why am i not in ketosis BIG TIME???

And...........my weight went UP by 1 kg in the past 3 days

I've worked so dam hard and feel really in big trouble

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Saint Patrick
08-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Good luck w/ the comp. Is this your first show?

I suggest you read this article on contest prep: http://www.1fast400.com/?articleID=30 lots of useful info.

Max-Mex
08-21-2004, 07:46 AM
From what you've posted, you aren't getting any good fats into your diet. Not sure exactly sure how a keto diet works, but I was under the impression that fat supplemenation is essential.

Adetweiler
08-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Everything your eating is right, you should be in ketosis. I lost 45 pounds last year doing it for about 4 months, and I kept off 30 of it. I never used the sticks I could always tell it only took 2 days for me, I would start getting bad breath :)

TheGimp
08-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Protein can kick you out of ketosis. Eat less protien, more fat, and especially get some EFAs in there.

How many cals is that? What's your maintenance?

Want2BYounger
08-21-2004, 09:35 AM
:withstupi My thoughts exactly. ADD fat, cut protein per meal back a little.

Jasonl
08-21-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree with the above, whey protein will do that.

If you're gonna use shakes, try getting a casein powder and take some fat with it. The nice things about the casein powder are it's slow-digesting, no carbs, and no sugar, usually. You just gotta check the nutrition label to make sure. I got some from proteinfactory.com, tastes like chalk but I don't mind it too much.

yakabebe
08-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi guys

Help enormously appreciated

Protien used (here in Australia)

MAXíS Bio-engineered Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) revolutionises protein food. Forget egg whites, WPC, soy protein isolate, caseinates or whole egg, MAXíS Bio-engineered Whey Protein Isolate surpasses all other proteins in the ability to deposit nitrogen to the growth sites in trained muscle. This formula is recommended for serious bodybuilders and strength athletes who require high levels of muscle mass and low bodyfat levels.
Nutritional Information

Per Serve Per Serve Per 100g
In Water with 500 ml
(30g) Skim Milk
PROTEIN 27g 47g 90g
CARBOHYDRATE TOTAL 0.1g 30g 0.5g
SUGARS 0.1g 30g 0.5g
FAT 0.2g 2g 0.5g
ENERGY 494kj 1620kj 1650kj

I reviewed the C/P/F mix of my diet and it seems the breakdown is

Bfast....360 cals C=10 / P=109 / F=240 ..... 3% 30% 66%
Shake..252 cals P=252 0% 100% 0%
Lunch..623 cals C=3 / P=315 / F=306........ 0% 50% 49%
Shake..252 cals P=252 0% 100% 0%
Dinner..1060cals C=0 / P=560 / F=450.........0% 53% 47%
Totals 2547 <1% 58% 42%

Not absolutely precise but close enough...... Is that not enough fat???

Someone mentioned vegetables.....occasionaly I'll add a big bowl of lettuce with a very low carb ceasar dressing - I havt all other veggies other than tomatoes and potatoes!

I also do the gym or cardio each day

By the way I'm 55 years old. Also started using ephedrine/caffeine /aspirin

I dont take any other supplements.

Ketosis aside....I just dont get why I;m actually GAINING a bit of weight.

Oh.......after doing a fair bit oif reading I assumed Diet Coke was OK........I have about 1.5 - 2 liters a day of that.

–ragons
08-21-2004, 06:11 PM
diet coke has no calories i dont think?

TBone4Eva
08-21-2004, 07:38 PM
I would try to replace more of the diet coke with water. 1.5 - 2 liters a day seems excessive.

I know drinking plenty of water is important overall, but is it even more essential when in ketosis?

Want2BYounger
08-21-2004, 08:39 PM
55 years old! hell yeah! There is more of us geezers in here than I realized. :D I'm 45 and currently doing a sustained cut.

The breakdown of your diet doesnt look bad for losing fat to me. Not sure why you are not in Ketosis. If I had to suggest anything, I would suggest lowering the protein in your lunch and dinner to 50g each and adding a couple of tablespoons of virgin olive oil to your two shakes.
I would also cut back on the diet coke and replace with water.

If that didn't work after a few days.... I dunno. I'll have to refer to my eating bible, NHE.

AllUp
08-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Some things that may help you out:

-Add more fats. Fish oil caps, Olive oil and peanuts do well.

-I noticed protein from non-meat/non-nut/non-oil sources kick me out of ketosis in most cases. :(

-I noticed when my fat intakes were low, the strips showed less ketones in the urine as well. During these days my protein was usually higher to meet my calorie req's.

-Things with sugar alcohols will boot your arse right out of ketosis as well. Even though its not sugar, its still carbohydrate.

-Some citrus-like drinks will boot you out of ketosis as well.

-Also sometimes you will be in ketosis, but they wont really show in the urine(I think your body may use them up). Employ the smell test. :p

Goodluck on the comp.