PDA

View Full Version : Tuna. Whats the deal?

Nito
08-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Tell me what is the big deal with Tuna, how come so many people recommend it. Personally I hate it, however I like salmon :). Is Tuna necessairy in a healthy clean bulk?

darkdan
08-21-2004, 08:58 PM
High in protein and other good stuff. Low in bad stuff.

Plus it's cheap, easy to fix, and portable.

Batman
08-21-2004, 09:04 PM
It's not necessary... but it is pretty cheap and easy to make. I think it tastes pretty good, probably the best tasting high protein food IMO.

gmanea
08-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Tuna is a great food for muscle building and is high in protein for the price, it has all the essential proteins (I think all meat products do).. Tuna is high in omega 3 fats. Salmon I heard is also pretty good. Personally, I love tuna. I make the perfect omelette with it:

185g Tuna (strain the oil,water whatever it is in first out of the can)
2-3 eggs
some shredded cheese
bit of salt, pepper and I also like to put in a tad of sweet chilli sauce (only a bit).

Mix it all in, pour into an omelette pan and put lid on it, cook on the lowest setting for 15 minutes until it all rises and the top is firm. With the lid still on strain out any fat into the sink.

This really tastes great IMO and is a great high protein meal. I'm sure others could share their fav recipies, I love this one because it is tasty and easy to prepare.

And don't worry too much about 'clean bulk'. Sure, don't eat too many foods high in saturated fats but sometimes take away is fine, especially for you being on the light side of the scale, it is sometimes hard to get enough calories when you are bulking and having take away occassionally will not do you any harm. I have take away meals 2-3 times a week (but you wouldn't want more than that probably :P )

MM
08-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Tuna has a lot of mercury; I was eating it like a madman for a long time, but I've cut back now. Anyway, you're supposed to avoid the lighter stuff in favor of the darker meat.

gmanea
08-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Oh, take a look at this URL
http://www.tunafacts.com/health/

Looks pretty handy.

Vido
08-22-2004, 12:26 PM
High in protein and other good stuff. Low in bad stuff.

Plus it's cheap, easy to fix, and portable.

That basically sums it up perfectly.

Vido
08-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Tuna has a lot of mercury; I was eating it like a madman for a long time, but I've cut back now. Anyway, you're supposed to avoid the lighter stuff in favor of the darker meat.

You really need not worry about the mercury in canned tuna (which is what he's talking about). Fresh tuna is a different story.

Ğragons
08-22-2004, 01:05 PM
the one i eat, 120 calories, 27g protein, thats why people use it :p

David
08-22-2004, 01:05 PM
You hate it because you probably buy that cheap walmart tuna for like 39 cents a can, you know, the kind that looks like dark carboard - looks like its time for you to step up and buy some premium Bumble Bee solid white albacore tuna.

Only bad thing about it is that it will set you back $1.25 per can.

snow
08-22-2004, 03:56 PM
I thought Mercury was only of concern to women who are/are thinking about pregnancy.

Nito
08-22-2004, 05:16 PM
I had some yesterday, I can get used to it. Money is not a concern. The type that I have is probably good quality.

Vido
08-22-2004, 07:50 PM
I thought Mercury was only of concern to women who are/are thinking about pregnancy.

I'm pretty sure no one wants high levels of mercury in their body, pregnant or not. However, like I said above, you need not worry about it with canned tuna.

beachmuscles
08-23-2004, 08:26 PM
How bad is it to eat 14oz of tuna a day? From the BAGS?

Bumble Bee Albacore?!

Vido
08-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I have no idea what an ounce equates to in grams...I really wish there was only one worldwide unit of measurement :D.

gmanea
08-23-2004, 08:31 PM
I have no idea what an ounce equates to in grams...I really wish there was only one worldwide unit of measurement :D.

an ounce is 28grams :)
Havn't you ever bought dope before ? :study:

not that I ever have, but just thought it sounded funny to say :P

Vido
08-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Well, by my calculations, that's about 3 cans of tuna/day then. I don't know if you'd want to do that for an extended period of time, but I wouldn't be overly worried about that consumption level for the near future.

AllUp
08-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Its carb free as well, but no one cares. :(

::Goes to give a shoutout to his lowcarb and UD2.0 peeps, but the microphone goes dead::

::lowers head in shame::

Lance
08-28-2004, 12:35 PM
One thing that confuses me is when people talk about the good fats in Tuna. A can of tuna has like 1.5g's of fat! Is that even worth it for EFA's?! Same with Salmon and fishes, i buy them for their good fats, besides the protein of course, and they barely have any fat in them! I get so confused, how am i supposed to up my healthy fats when all the fish (which are highly valued as the best EFAS) have like no fat!

Only thing that works easy for me, EFA wise, is walnuts or mixed nuts.

Den Fisher
08-28-2004, 06:32 PM
You can get a package of 8 cans of tuna for 7 dollars (white albacore kind) which has

175 calories
40 g's of protein per can

Yeah.. I know, not many calories.

And if you get the cheaper kind, the darker tuna, it has

150 calories
32.5 g's of protein per can

and you can get a package of 8 cans of these for around 4-5 dollars.

Vido
08-28-2004, 11:30 PM
One thing that confuses me is when people talk about the good fats in Tuna. A can of tuna has like 1.5g's of fat! Is that even worth it for EFA's?! Same with Salmon and fishes, i buy them for their good fats, besides the protein of course, and they barely have any fat in them! I get so confused, how am i supposed to up my healthy fats when all the fish (which are highly valued as the best EFAS) have like no fat!

Only thing that works easy for me, EFA wise, is walnuts or mixed nuts.

Tuna isn't a fatty fish. You get EFA's from fish like salmon, but tuna's basically pure protein, at least the canned version anyway. Needless to say I wouldn't be consuming cans of tuna as my source of EFA's.

EFA-wise your best bets are fish oil and flax oil.

MM
08-29-2004, 05:04 AM
Beachmuscles --

I would seriously research the vast literature on tuna and mercury before eating that much. It's not just restaurant grade tuna; mercury exists in high levels in the tuna you buy and eat in cans and bags. For instance, pregnant women are advised to eat no more than 12oz of canned tuna a week by a federal advisory board. In California, the legislature is hoping to pass a bill that would require canned tuna to come with a mercury warning, much akin to the warnings on cigarettes or alcohol. Canned tuna is probably safer than tuna (and many other) fish caught in the wild, but I wouldn't eat it every day or even every other day.

J450n
08-29-2004, 05:37 AM
Tell me what is the big deal with Tuna, how come so many people recommend it. Personally I hate it,
Same here, can't stand the stuff.

Is Tuna necessairy in a healthy clean bulk?
No. Just helps vary you're diet.

darkdan
08-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Beachmuscles --

I would seriously research the vast literature on tuna and mercury before eating that much. It's not just restaurant grade tuna; mercury exists in high levels in the tuna you buy and eat in cans and bags. For instance, pregnant women are advised to eat no more than 12oz of canned tuna a week by a federal advisory board. In California, the legislature is hoping to pass a bill that would require canned tuna to come with a mercury warning, much akin to the warnings on cigarettes or alcohol. Canned tuna is probably safer than tuna (and many other) fish caught in the wild, but I wouldn't eat it every day or even every other day.

Yeah, but it's CA! They want to put a warning on everything.

"Warning! Drinking this bottle of water may promote urination. Please consult a doctor."

How many people here eat tuna 5 to 14 times a week and have had no problem with heavy metal poisoning or anything like that? I'm not concerned.

Aspect
08-29-2004, 10:53 AM
To be fair, heavy metal poisoning isn't something that's going to show up quickly. The problem is that the body can't expel heavy metals, so any that you ingest end up staying in the body and accumulating, and if you accumulate enough it can be dangerous.

However, it's just like anything else - a sliding scale of risk. On one hand, if you eat too much there's a chance you could have negative effects from the mercury. On the other hand, if eating tuna helps you stay with a diet and maintain a healthy weight, you reap the benefits that go with it - so you're possibly lowering your blood pressure, cholesterol etc. etc. Which is better? That's a personal choice.

To get back to the original question - it's by no means necessary, and if you dislike it then I personally would say don't bother with it. There are plenty of good sources of protein, and following a clean diet can be hard enough without eating stuff you dislike. I'd stick to stuff that you enjoy eating.

Jabberwocky
08-29-2004, 03:38 PM
You're much more likely to get hurt while lifting than from a can of tuna.

MixmasterNash
08-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Beachmuscles --
I would seriously research the vast literature on tuna and mercury before eating that much. It's not just restaurant grade tuna; mercury exists in high levels in the tuna you buy and eat in cans and bags.

Actually mercury levels are apparently higher in the more expensive solid albacore, rather than the cheaper chunk light stuff (which I actually prefer when eating out of the can).

Indeed, the at risk groups (kids, baby makin' machines, etc.) shouldn't eat much more than 3-6oz per WEEK.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv4.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=444067&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=162689&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333139

MM
08-30-2004, 08:34 AM
MN --

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that the cheaper tuna was actually healthier for you than the solid white.

Whoever it was that said they're not seeing the effects --

You likely would not see any effects from mercury poisoning for many years, even if there are unhealthy levels in your system. It's just like anything else: eat forty oreos a week if you want, and by the time you're fifty you might start seeing the effects of all that trans fat.

I love tuna, but I've tried to cut back considerably. I've replaced it somewhat with chicken salad, which I don't care for as much but I can use in similar recipes.

hooligan_media
09-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Yea I'm a tuna freak, I really can't stomach salmon. Okay, maybe smoked really well salmon. Tuna is just so much easier to handle, and as far as the mercury, yea the canned stuff shouldnt be much of a worry...but if u ask me, swordfish is more of a culprit for mercury. I have 4 Tuna steaks sitting in my freezer, plus catfish fillets and 4 cans of tuna and 2 of those packets of tuna. Just remember, brush your teeth or chew some gum afterwards. ;)

Adetweiler
09-03-2004, 08:54 AM
I eat about 6-7 12oz cans a week. I just get so sick of Chicken breast, and Tuna. I dont worry about health effects since its 100 times better then what I used to eat. It just gets old after eating so much of it. For me its convenience is what keeps me coming back.