PDA

View Full Version : cardio timing?

furious
08-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey,

Alright currently I am doing 30 minutes of cardio directly post workout. Ive been told the body is in an optimum state to burn fat after lifting as a result of it's ultilisation of glucose for lifting. However, I feel this practice may be catabolic. So my question is this, to lose fat and preserve muscle, do you feel it is better to split up cardio and lifting? If so, what is the best timing for each? Please let me know your opinions, thanks alot.

Vido
08-22-2004, 12:40 PM
I agree that splitting it up it optimal. In a perfect world (without school or work or any other committments), I'd do cardio in the morning and lift in the early evening. This is just personal preference. I'd say that, in general, you'd want to separate the sessions by at least 6 hours, and lift when you have the most energy.

Sport_Scientist
08-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Your right on, doing cardio post weight lifting does allow you to burn fat better. If your glycogen stores are sufficiently depleted, you utilize fat as an energy source. You wont burn as much fat if you split it up as your glycogen stores will again restore themselves. In my opinion, you wont lose muscle over that. 30 minutes isn't enough for that, we're not talking a marathon run so you should be fine.

Paul Stagg
08-23-2004, 08:19 AM
It doesn't matter all that much.

Kirman
08-23-2004, 11:17 AM
just to jump in at the deep end here....

make a decision if u want to get bigger go for that and then when your at your ideal size add cardio to your off days and diet a bit better and you will cut up..

thats all i did :D

Geeper
08-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Everything I've read says cardio after is much better, and burns more fat.

Too much cardio is just that though, too much cardio and once again I'll admit I'm a classic overtrainer on everything. So here's what I've done with mine to break up some of my overtraining habits. I limit myself to either cardio or abs on any given day. So I'll do one day of abs, next day cardio, next day abs etc. This way I'm not doing so much cardio I can't see any gains (because my body is eating muscle and those calories that should be building muscle) and I'm not overtrainging my abs.

I've been doing this for about a month now and it's REALLY helped. My cardio sessions are stronger (cause I'm not always worn out from the day before), I've seen new growth everywere and my abs are finally starting to come along!

Joe Usher
08-23-2004, 12:18 PM
If I had plenty of free time I would do Cardio first thing after I wake up on an empty stomach for 30 minutes in my target heart rate zone, (formula: 220 - your age, then multiply by .70 and .80. Range is between 70% and 80%). Since I have a job and all the responsibilities that come with being an adult, I do Cardio 2 hours after I have eaten a meal or directly after I lift weights.

Vido
08-23-2004, 05:29 PM
If I had plenty of free time I would do Cardio first thing after I wake up on an empty stomach for 30 minutes in my target heart rate zone, (formula: 220 - your age, then multiply by .70 and .80. Range is between 70% and 80%). Since I have a job and all the responsibilities that come with being an adult, I do Cardio 2 hours after I have eaten a meal or directly after I lift weights.

Doing cardio first thing in the morning doesn't make such a big difference that 30 minutes then is equivalent to 2 hours later in the day. In fact, it really doesn't make that much difference at all. Burning 500 calories at 7am is the same as burning 500 calories at 7pm.