PDA

View Full Version : How are these bars?

beachmuscles
08-23-2004, 08:42 PM
I know I know...Protein Bar's arent THAT great in a diet. But Im in school now and It's just very convienient to eat walking to class (5 minutes)

I found these Myoplex Sport Nutrition Bar

Nutrition Info
Serving size 1 bar
Amount Per Serving
General Nutrition
Calories 400
Calories from Fat 80
Total Fat 9 g
Sugars 17 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates 51 g
Sodium 400 mg
Potassium 220 mg
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Protein 30 g
Trans Fat 0 g

I like the fact that it is 9g fat and only 1g saturated compared to many other bars which have much higer for example 4-5g. The only thing that worries me is the 17g sugar...But would this be ok if it came from fruits? Because the flavor is oatmeal raisin

Ğragons
08-24-2004, 05:13 AM
err the carbs is a bit heavy iff your cutting i think

TheGimp
08-24-2004, 05:20 AM
You're right, the saturated fat content is better than you'd expect. I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar given that the fat and fibre will slow digestion. I don't have too much experience with protein bars but it sounds pretty good to me.

Vido
08-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Seems about right on the protein (maybe a little lower than some bars), a little high on fat (although very little is saturated so that's good), high on the carbs (and especially sugar), and high on the sodium/potassium ratio (there should be more potassium than sodium). An ingredients list would aid an analysis, but upon preliminary inspection I'd say it's "ok", albeit there are better bars out there.

beachmuscles
08-24-2004, 08:22 AM
The first ingredient is "FRUIT JUICES" soo maybe thats where the sugar comes from? I just like them because they are 400 cal. What are some BETTER bars?

Ğragons
08-24-2004, 09:00 AM
i use - vyomax - 15.1g prot|| 20g carb || 5.5g fat of which saturates 1.1g

Vido
08-24-2004, 10:12 AM
The first ingredient is "FRUIT JUICES" soo maybe thats where the sugar comes from? I just like them because they are 400 cal. What are some BETTER bars?

A protein shake and a 1/4 cup of nuts is also about 400 calories...a much better alternative for a snack imo.

If you read any thread I've posted in you'll see that I almost always say cheaper is better (protein, creatine, etc.), but when it comes to bars I think the only ones that are decent are the ones that are far too expensive, thus I don't eat them. I'm talking about ones like Nitrotech, Pure Protein, Low Carb Lean Body by Labrada...all are like $4-5/bar.

AllUp
08-24-2004, 11:29 AM
A protein shake and a 1/4 cup of nuts is also about 400 calories...a much better alternative for a snack imo.

If you read any thread I've posted in you'll see that I almost always say cheaper is better (protein, creatine, etc.), but when it comes to bars I think the only ones that are decent are the ones that are far too expensive, thus I don't eat them. I'm talking about ones like Nitrotech, Pure Protein, Low Carb Lean Body by Labrada...all are like $4-5/bar.
Yeah, Protein bars in general are sorta costly. I usually get them if I forgot my powder or if I'm at a gas station and in a jam for protein. :)

ElPietro
08-24-2004, 11:38 AM
The ones that are $4-5 each are the lowcarb ones (generally 5g or less). These are expensive because it's hard to manufacture a bar with such low carbs, have it still stick together, and not taste like a wet shoe.

I used to only use the Nitro-tech bars, they are decent tasting as far as the low carb/high protein bars go. But they are expensive, as all the others in that class are.

Now I am using the detour bars, more as a pre-workout snack, so the carbs go to good use.

AllUp
08-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I hurled a Joyride once... Fun stuff. :/

Vido
08-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Now I am using the detour bars, more as a pre-workout snack, so the carbs go to good use.

The Detour bars are delicious (albeit just as expensive as the low carb bars as far as I know), but did they ever fix up the problems with them meeting label claims?

ElPietro
08-24-2004, 03:03 PM
I have no clue. I get them at costco, so they aren't the full size bars. 43g each.

Vido
08-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, they used to be WAY over the amount of sugar they claimed and about 10g of protein less or something...it wasn't much better than eating a candy bar. I can't imagine they wouldn't have done something about it though after all the complaints.