PDA

View Full Version : 6 meals, calories per? ...all new

Grey Wolf
08-26-2004, 05:12 PM
im new to the 6meal, spacing out calories, to help you burn fat & feed the muscles diet. can anyone or some of you, help me with maybe finding a website that has info on meal portion size and calories per meal.
thanks in advance!

mattburns
08-26-2004, 06:02 PM
for nutritional values use either
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
or
www.fitday.com

fitday is great it adds up your calorie intakes, fat, carbs and protein.

Spartacus
08-26-2004, 06:28 PM
you don't need to get six meals a day. 3 is enough if you can put down enough cals in those meals.

Vido
08-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Spartacus is right. The amount of calories you consume daily is far more important than the number of meals it takes you to get them down. 6 meals somehow emerged as the almighty number that everyone should adhere to. I wouldn't go less than 3, and you could go as high as you want.

Grey Wolf
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
wow! confusion starting to take place. i've read several studies that report the effects on thermogenesis from mini meal approach.
can you guys direct me to any sites that have info on 3 meals a day?
i ask with intrest....not doubt!

thanks for the feed back!

Spartacus
08-26-2004, 08:51 PM
i think its been discussed on this site before... don't have the thread bookmarked. i think the study showing 2 meals a day isn't enough involved boxers, so maybe you can search for that.

the thermogenesis from food is in proportion to the food, not the meal. eg, a 200 calorie meal burns 2x the calories of a 100 calorie meal.

debussy
08-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Well I heard that eating many meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism high. It'll keep your blood sugar at a nice level (no spikes) and minimize fat storage. Anyway, I'd go with 3-6 meals and keep the calories under/above (are you bulking? cutting?) your requirement... youll be fine. It's really not that complicated.

Vido
08-26-2004, 11:02 PM
I've never thought about the blood sugar, that seems like a valid point Debussy.

However, as far as the metabolism goes, Spartacus is right. The more meals you have, the more times your metabolism will be boosted, BUT each boost will be smaller than that for a larger meal.

Lyle McDonald talks about the 6 meals myth somewhere on his site, bodyrecomposition.com...I know I've read it, but I just looked and couldn't find it.

Spartacus
08-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Well I heard that eating many meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism high. It'll keep your blood sugar at a nice level (no spikes) and minimize fat storage. .

...which might matter if youre eating strait dextrose + whey for all your meals. healthy people who exercise are insulin sensitive enough not to worry about blood sugar spikes especially if they are eating remotely healthy foods.

Ğragons
08-27-2004, 11:18 AM
doesnt eating more meals a day, cut down bf? when your cutting :p

Vido
08-27-2004, 01:07 PM
doesnt eating more meals a day, cut down bf? when your cutting :p

No, eating less calories cuts down bodyfat. The number of meals it takes to get those calories down is virtually irrelevant.