PDA

View Full Version : You eat before workouts???

PYRO
08-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I usually eat a sandwich and 1 banana about 1/2 hr before i work out!! Is this any good?

IdaMAN
08-27-2004, 01:57 PM
You should normally eat 2 hrs before you do any kind of workout.

Davy
08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
That depends on the type of food you eat how long you should wait to work out.

The banana is fine 1/2 hour before , it contains simple carbs wich will be taken up into the bloodstream fairly quick if im not mistaking...

PYRO
08-27-2004, 02:12 PM
thanks guys....btw, it's a turkey,ham,bologna sandwich with white bread...

geoffgarcia
08-27-2004, 02:19 PM
figure it'll take 3-6 hours for it to digest through your stomach into your duodenum, and a LOT more time for it to process there and get taken up in your intestines...
in other words dont expect any benefit from a solid food intake prior to your workout.
A liquid intake in the form of protein + dex will get through your stomach/duodenum very quickly and most likely will start to be absorbed in your intestines within 1-2 hours for the protein and 30-60 minutes for the carbs according to what I've read.

Focused70
08-27-2004, 02:30 PM
:withstupi

You should ALWAYS have something to eat before a workout. Of course when you schedule your workout will influence what you have prior to the gym.

Stash

Hedzilla
08-27-2004, 03:08 PM
oatmeal about half hour before, maybe 45 minutes.

lots carbs :)

MixmasterNash
08-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I just ate a huge friggin burrito, 30 minutes before I'm going to workout. It will hurt.

Vido
08-27-2004, 07:14 PM
figure it'll take 3-6 hours for it to digest through your stomach into your duodenum, and a LOT more time for it to process there and get taken up in your intestines...
in other words dont expect any benefit from a solid food intake prior to your workout.
A liquid intake in the form of protein + dex will get through your stomach/duodenum very quickly and most likely will start to be absorbed in your intestines within 1-2 hours for the protein and 30-60 minutes for the carbs according to what I've read.

Depends on what time of day you workout. If we're talking first thing in the morning then I agree with you. If not, it doesn't matter much.

MM
08-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Honestly, I'm not very consistent about it. Normally I've eaten within two hours of going... but that's because I'm always eating.

I do recall one instance where I had eaten a whopper thirty minutes before going to the gym, and I felt horrible. Suffice to say, I never made that mistake again.

harryhoudini66
08-28-2004, 02:54 PM
yes, I take in about 30 grams of carbs and epehdrine and caffeine stack.

RichLockyer
08-28-2004, 11:23 PM
I'll try to take in either a light dinner or an MRB at least an hour before working out. Primarily, just a comfort thing... keep away any feeling of hunger, and to make sure that my blood sugar isn't off.

I won't take any thermo's for at least 3 hours prior... I don't want the "drugs" messing with my pulse/BP during the workout, especially since I follow my weight sessions with 1/2 hour on the treadmill.

BulkMeUp
08-30-2004, 12:09 PM
It is about 3-4 hours between my last meal and WO. My stomach is too empty to get through my WO. So i have a sandiwch (2slices WW bread with a veggie spread) about an hour or so before my WO. And protein +creatine +dextrose as a post WO shake. Together this makes up my Meal #4(of 6)

BCC
08-30-2004, 12:34 PM

Yes, this is the best option.

Solid food before a workout is only going to be tougher on your body.

abwowang
08-30-2004, 02:23 PM
but then it is also good to work out RIGHT BEFORE A MEAL.. cause by workin out hard.. it suppresses ur diet so that u wont overeat later..

Max-Mex
08-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Agree with BCC and geoff. Solid food right before a workout just makes me belch more during the workout. I don't have any problems if I have something that's liquid

ryan-
08-30-2004, 10:53 PM
What I've been doing is coming home from work, cooking 2 chicken breasts or 2 cans of tuna along with some potatoes or rice, and a glass of milk, then working out about an hour later. After working out I have my protein/creatine/milk/oats/natural pb shake. Question now is, should I drink the shake before the workout and cook dinner afterwards?

On a side note, is it best to get your carbs pre or post workout? And should I avoid one or the other?

Achille
08-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Yeah it seems smarter to drink the shake 30 to 45 minutes before WO and eat later. Tuna with rice and milk make a not easily digestable combination and working out just an hour later would put too much strain on your body

Geeper
08-31-2004, 05:02 PM
I work out all most first thing in the morning so I always try to have breakfast before I workout, usually 2 cups of milk and 4 cups of Special K (556 cals, 32 g of protien, 97 g of carbs) enough protien to get my body started (lets face it first thing in the morning your body is pretty protien starved after 8 hours of no food) and enough carbs to get me through my workout.

The milk is quickly digested and the cereal slowly through the workout.