PDA

View Full Version : Question on Lean into Summer Cardio

Zygote
08-27-2004, 05:32 PM
From article:
"Cardio will follow the abdominal training, and will consist of sprint interval training on the stationary bike. This will involve 8-10 intervals of 30-second maximal sprint effort with 1.5-2 minutes of recovery between each sprint. Before the sprints begin, a warm-up on the bike should be performed for 5 minutes."

8-10 30 second intervals is only 5 minutes maximum and will burn around 80 calories according to my calorie calculator with maximum effort selected while 45 minutes of medium intensity walking will burn around 400 calories.

Is there something I'm missing here. I assume so. How does this sprint training compare with lower intensity exercise such as walking for cutting?

Also, it seems to me that weight training is far superior to cardio for calorie burning so why do cardio to lose weight. I do realise the benefits to general health but I'm specifically talking about cutting and muscle development.

Zygote

MM
08-27-2004, 05:43 PM
It's funny, because I was just reading the same article. Then, if you read the "Newbie's Guide to getting lean":

Day 1: Off or Cardio or Shoulders (optional)
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Push (Chest and Triceps)
Day 4: Off or Cardio
Day 5: Off or Cardio
Day 6: Pull (Back and Biceps)
Day 7: Off or Cardio

is the sample workout, where cardio is given less importance.

MM
08-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Also, this is sort of the wrong forum.