PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training at 6am in morning compared to night

ucs
08-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Howdy,

Im currently setting up to do some serious bulking, but just wondering; Could I do my workouts in the morning rather then the evening and see the same gains?

Is there anyone here that trains in the morning rather the evenings?

Any tips on the diet plan for morning training?

Cheers

Nick

Max-Mex
08-28-2004, 03:47 AM
You can see the same gains. I workout in the morning 90% of the year. I am usually in the gym around 6-7am. A few things you should do to make your gains work well:

1. Hydrate! This is one of the first things I do in the morning. Your body is fairly dehydrated and having water in your body will help it wake up and be ready for the stress you are about to put it through.

2. Eat! It doesn't have to be a huge meal but at least 300-500 cals. I generally make a shake of some sorts. The reason I prefer shakes is the body digests them faster. I try to make sure I have a good mixture of carbs and protien, somewhere around 50/50 of each.

3. Warmup! Your muscles are tight that early in the morning and they need to be jump started. Do a minimum of 5 mins of light cardio to get things going. If you are doing upperbody work, use a cardio machine that has an arm attachment.

4. Stay hydrated during your workout! You'll lose energy if you get dehydrated. Keep the water intake up during your workout.

5. Optional: Cool down and stretch. If you have time, this came come in handy. It might be possible to keep soreness down if you can take the time to cool down and stretch out. Doesn't have to be a major thing, but try to hit as many muscles when stretching.

6. Eat after workout! This is very important. Protien isn't as important as carbs. I'd say 60/30 ratio of carbs/protien. Again, something this is quickly digested. Calorie size depends on caloric goals for the day.

That's pretty much it. Make sure you eat enough to gain weight. Also, get enough sleep.

ucs
08-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Wow! Thanks for the information dude...

What would you normally have to eat after your workout?

ryuage
08-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Im in the same boat, I workout about 4-5am before work... usually get in some carbs/protein prior maybe in the form of malto/whey half an hour beforehand then regular post workout shake or meal afterwards.

Max-Mex
08-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Wow! Thanks for the information dude...

What would you normally have to eat after your workout?

It can vary. I at least have a protien shake. If I have time to make something, PB&J works. Sometimes a Powerbar. A banana also works in a pinch. I also try to get a hold of some milk if I can. Good source of protien and carbs.

StarLeague
08-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Really gotta respects all of you guys who find the dedication to wake up at 4-5AM to work out. Its amazing...seriously

I have problems waking up 9AM.....

edge-man
08-28-2004, 09:45 AM
When I start uni I'm gonna have to learn to go at 7AM to avoid the time-wasters and losers. Might be interesting...

getfit
08-28-2004, 09:47 AM
up every morning at 4 am get to the gym for 6am monday to friday i find my best workouts at that time

geoffgarcia
08-28-2004, 09:54 AM
SOURCE: LNDON EVENING STNDARD - 29MARCH1999
7 - Best time to have sex. Body produces a surge of sex hormones and a rush of adrenaline. Men's testosterone levels have risen during sleep and reach a peak now.
7:30 to 9 - Best time to go to dentist - body releases a greater quantity of natural painkillers, endorphins through the night.
8 to 8:30 - Gentle stretching to ease into day.
8:30 to 9 - Metabolism works overtime first thing in the morning - best time to eat.
9:30 to 11:30 - Brain power and short-term memory at its best before noon - best time for mind-intensive activity.
2 pm - Best time for a cat-nap - and time for reflection....
2:30 to 3 - Long-term memory at its best. Brain power takes a second hit at lunch.
4 to 6 pm - Best time to exercize - reaction time and hand/eye coordination at its best. Muscle temperature and other physical parameters reach a peak in late afternoon so your body is ready to exercize. Most olympic records are broken in the late afternoon - very few are set before noon.
7 to 9 pm - Stress hormone cortisol plummet, brain begins to produce melatonin. Drop pressure drops. Best time for socialization.
10 to 11 pm - Another surge of sleep hormones (melatonin) are released, peaking at midnight. Heat rate, body temperature, stress hormones falls.

justhrowit
08-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Great advice Max! I'm an early workout person myself. 5:00 a.m Just don't like going after work. One thing that I need to throw in.....get to bed early, and wake up as early as you can. Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep. At least for me...it helps shake out the cobwebs if I can get up earlier.

J

Max-Mex
08-28-2004, 10:38 AM
I find it hard to workout in the morning because my muscles are cold. I hate the whole warmup process. Then again, I love how empty the gym is so I can get through my workout fairly quickly. Only drawback to afternoon sessions is that everyone and their mom is there.

Vido
08-28-2004, 11:38 AM
I can't stand working out in the morning. Not only are you not at peak energy levels, but the crowd in there is just brutal. I hate being the only one in the gym under 50 years old. I'd much rather go when it's busy. At least then you have the 240lb monsters as motivation to push harder. It's hard to have much intensity when you're the only one in the gym lifting heavy.

If you do workout in the morning though make sure you have something to eat so you're not still in a catabolic state from sleeping, preferably liquid carbs and protein so they get digested more quickly. The post-workout protocol would be identical to as if you were training later in the day.

Also, if you're working out at 6am, make sure you're going to bed fairly early the night before...the body needs rest to grow.

Roark
08-28-2004, 11:49 AM
i workout about 630am

i prefer it much more, and as opposed to vido, i find the morning crowd much more to my liking. mostly serious lifters, and not a lot of yapping and scenester types.

for me, i have a big cup of my special jet fuel coffee and one of those oatmeal bars and a multi-vitamin before i go. the caffeine gets me over the initial morning drag, and the oatmeal bar seems to be enough to sustain my energy levels throughout my workout.

only thing i really do different, is i basically eat my lunch for breakfast when i get back from the gym. usually a whole-weat pasta, protein, vegetable mix.

also, i've found that working out in the morning tends to have a positive impact on the rest of my day.

ryuage
08-28-2004, 11:51 AM
like stated above, milk could also be a good alternative for some nutrients before working out in the morning

bigfella13
08-28-2004, 01:18 PM
well mate reaearch shows that natural test levels are highest in the wee hours of the mornin, usually around 5 or 6 (hence morning wood), this and GH levels also. IMHO this would be a great time to train

SalahG
08-28-2004, 05:12 PM
You could also make an arguement that working out in the morning, with the rush of testosterone and adrenaline, would be better, because you would be more likely to have more of an intense workout.

Want2BYounger
08-29-2004, 12:22 PM
I get up at 4 am and workout in the basement 3 days a week. I usually enjoy getting up and working out. But on some days I feel tired and achey and try to come up with excuses to skip that morning. BUT, I have learned to force myself downstairs. By the time I cut on the lights, turn on the music, and get a warm up on the treadmill, I feel 100% better.
In fact, almost without exception, the days I force myself to go ahead and get up, I have some of my best workouts. Go figure.
The biggest suprise to me is the difference it makes in my day. On the days I weight train, I am energized all day. I work 12 hour shifts and on the days I don't weight train I am noticeably "sluggish" all day. I am starting to add cardio days on the "in-between" days and it does seem to help, but not to the extent of the weight training days.

I have a protein shake w/3 tbsp olive oil before and after on weight training days. Plus ample water before, during, and after.

Vido
08-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I have a protein shake w/3 tbsp olive oil before and after on weight training days. Plus ample water before, during, and after.

Are you on a no carb diet?

edge-man
08-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Now only if we had Wallace and Grommit - type machines that would dress us and feed us in the morning it would all be so easy.

Ğragons
08-29-2004, 01:34 PM
i dont even think my gym opens till 9am :-\ and then it closes at 9pm

Want2BYounger
08-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by VIDO
Are you on a no carb diet?

I am on the NHE "diet". Very low carbs, high protein, moderate fat most meals, two nites a week, I have a high carb meal, with very low fat and protein. My carbs on the high carb nites come from sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, apples, whole wheat cereal w/skim milk(not much milk) and sliced banana and blueberries on the cereal. I occasionally add other high carb veggies on high carb nite, when I feel like it. No sugary foods though(other than the fruits).

I eat 6 meals a day. Drink only water (not counting protein shakes of course)
I have as much or more energy during workouts now than ever. I am very happy with it.

Until now I didn't believe my BF% scale worked at all. When I bought the fat scale it said my BF was at 26% and 235 lbs. (this is after I had already dropped about 40 pounds on atkins).

I continued to drop another 10 lbs. on atkins over the next 6 weeks, and the BF% only moved to 25.8% at the lowest point. I then read about NHE and switched over. In the last 3 weeks I have lost only about 4-5 lbs, but now the scales say between 23% and 23.5% BF. I weigh every day as soon as I get up. The BF% started moving after 6 days on NHE, slowly dropping to where it is now.(23%) I know these scales aren't the most accurate in the world, but I believe they are good for a reference point. Something has caused the scales to change, and the water content on the scales has always reads close to 51%.

Vido
08-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Good work Want2BYounger...I was only asking because most people have protein + carbs pre and post-workout, but if your diet doesn't allow that, then so be it.