PDA

View Full Version : Confused - where to put cardio?

luke77
08-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey guys,
I'm starting a new workout program and I can't figure out what would be the best time to add cardio. I'm doing a simple split:

Monday: Chest/tris
Wednesday: Back/Biceps
Friday: Legs/shoulders

I'd like to do at least 3 days of cardio a week (actually I'd like to do more but I'll settle for 3). I do cardio both for the health benefits and because I enjoy it, so please don't just say not to do cardio. However, my goal is to slowly put on muscle, so I want to place "priority" on my lifting sessions. Also, my cardio is usually roughly 1 hour of biking at moderately high intensity (I would prefer to keep it this way, too because I enjoy it. I'm not really interested in HIIT unless there's no alternative). OK, here's my dillema: I can't do cardio on lifting days because 1 hour of cardio after lifting would pretty much wipe out (or at least hamper) my gains, and I don't have enough time to lift in the morning and do cardio at night. That leaves tuesday, thursday, and saturday for cardio assuming that sunday is a complete rest day. But I have been told not to do cardio the day before doing legs because it will tire them out, and I've also been told not to do it the day after because it's kind of like working them two days in a row. So where do I put cardio then? Does anyone have any suggestsions or dould you tell me what you guys do?

Thanks a lot,
Luke

IdaMAN
08-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Well you could try doing 30 mins before which will be good for you to losen up your body before you work out and then do another 30 mins afterwards. You might also want to try only 10 mins before lifting and then 40-50 mins afterwards. That way it is broken up and will do good both ways. You get your full cardio and also have a pre- lifting warm up.

JOSEPH
08-28-2004, 04:43 PM
I would suggest you to do your cardio from Mon-Wed. On Mon and Wed, do the cardio after the weight training. Any time on Tue. Don't bother breaking down the cardio interval if your goal is to improve your cardiovascular fitness level.

homer77
08-30-2004, 01:31 PM
i have done many diets (contest) over the years. i found that the best thing to do is to knock it out early. 1st thing in the morning, after a cup of coffee, while your glycogen levels are still low. That way your carb to fat crossover point comes faster. Start with 20 min and work your way up to an hour. Then add more days per week. and to loose the fat, stay at 65%mhr. If you go to my site www.jasondayberry.com and check out "my road to the 2004 usa's" article. It will give you some more detail. If you have to do it after training, be sure to have a small protein shake before you start. I also used to do 30 before breakfast and 30 after training. I also have my own treadmill. that may make a difference.

Vido
08-30-2004, 01:39 PM
It won't make that much of a difference to your leg workout, if any at all. Just go when you have the time.

abwowang
08-30-2004, 02:15 PM
wut u doin tuesdays and thursdays?.. u could just run then.. and if u really really really enjoy cardio.. weekends ?!?! :D

Energizer
09-17-2004, 01:57 PM
I would have a quick warm up about 80% intensity for a couple of minutes just to get the blood flowing to the muscles, then do my routine, and then follow my routine with 30mins cardio to burn fat as my carb stores would be depleted after my workout.

CiteCollegiale
09-17-2004, 08:10 PM
light cardio after your leg day will help them heal

EviscerationX
09-17-2004, 08:21 PM
If you do cardio on weightlifting days, do it with a sort of split routine, like cardio in the morning and weightlifting in the afternoon.

30 min cardio before a workout is bad because it will hamper your performance and it won't be as good as you'd like. 30 mins after is bad because this is the time which protein synthesis occurs, and your muscles are desperately in need of protein. You should take a protein shake after, and then wait a while before you do cardio. Intense cardio will also hinder you muscle-building process...interfering with your body's ability to recuperate your muscles from the workout. That's just what I'd recommend...

Light cardio after leg day is a good idea, or any day, as it will flush the lactic acid from your muscles a bit. Same with light weights afterwards. Light cardio is also good because it puts blood back into the heart. When you workout, blood is forced into the muscles and any form of light cardio is a good way to get it pumping back to your heart, otherwise, you may have a stroke.

You can disagree with me on any of these points, this is just what I've read.