PDA

View Full Version : carbs and fats, which is better

Chris Cutler
08-29-2004, 12:25 PM
ur body needs protein, carbs, fats, vitamins to build muscle. if u go on low-carb u deprive ur body of some bodybuilding nutrients, and same with fat. but i notice when i go on low-carb diets i dont tend to build muscle as easy, but when i go on low-fat diets i build muscle better. For instance, i went on low-carb 2 weeks ago and ran 2 miles every morning, i only lost a pound and i felt like i was getting bigger on the sides...then i gave up after realizing i only lost a pound, so i started eating carbs again and i felt slimmer and looked slimmer, i loooove IHOP...i went to IHOP like 4 days in a row and had like 3-4 different platters, all carbs of course- little fat. I started eating low-fat i realized, and i felt like i was losing weight and still gaining some muscle. If u HAD TO diet while trying to build muscle, would u choose low-carb or low-fat?? OR, would u forget it and just eat whatever. I think im planning on bulking for 4-5 months when i get to college, then cutting to lose fat.

ryuage
08-29-2004, 12:32 PM
why you asking if you already tried both routes and found what worked and didnt work for you? =\

Vido
08-29-2004, 12:34 PM
I would never try to gain muscle at the same time as losing fat.

I think low"ish"-carb diets are the best for cutting or bulking.

I wouldn't be eating at IHOP 3-4 times/week even if I didn't work out, never mind if I was trying to build a good physique.

Vido
08-29-2004, 12:35 PM
why you asking if you already tried both routes and found what worked and didnt work for you? =\

This is also a good point. What works for me won't necessarily work for you.

Aspect
08-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Calories are the main thing that count. Low carb or low fat is secondary to simply eating the right number of calories.

Some people find one works better for them than the other - there's no general rule, it depends on the individual. If you find low fat works better than low carb, then there's not much point going for low carb no matter what anyone else says.

However, having said all that, there's no reason to go low-anything. A moderate-fat moderate-carb diet will also work as long as total calories are lowered appropriately, and might be easier to stick to and more enjoyable.

Also, bear in mind that it's very difficult to build muscle while losing fat, unless you fit into one or more of the following categories:
1) New to training
2) Returning to training from a long break
3) Carrying a lot of excess bodyfat
4) Very far from your ultimate genetic potential
5) Using AAS

If you're not going to cut until after you've trained for a good few months then you'll probably struggle to gain muscle while you cut. The best you can probably hope for is to maintain what muscle you have. For that reason, I'd suggest you try not to gain too much fat on your bulk (so you don't give yourself extra work to do on your cut).

Good luck!

[Edit - must learn to type faster, I started that when there were no replies to the thread!]