PDA

View Full Version : Important Cardio Question........

starks713
08-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I need to run 1 and1/2 miles in 12 Minutes by early november and my cardio is terrible. My plan was to run in the mornings and lift weights in the evening. Do you think this will hinder my Cardio? Should I just put aside the weights for a couple months and do strictly cardio. My thinking is that intense cardio and lifting weights 4-5 times a week could end up overtraining pretty fast but any advise would be appreciated.

JOSEPH
08-29-2004, 06:54 PM
I would focus more on just cardio for the time being. Periodization is a very common practice for athletes who wish to optimize certain areas (ie. cardio fitness) in a certain period of time. So you can focus on cardio while do perhaps a full body workout once or twice per week for maintenance for your muscles.

Shane
08-29-2004, 07:03 PM
The term overtraining is thrown around way too much. Simply adding daily cardio to your workout regime isn't going to cause it to happen. And you can continue to do your weight workouts without it hindering your cardio at all. Running in the morning and weights in the evening sounds good. I wouldn't put aside the weights. It's a different stimulus than the cardio and there's no need to put the weights on hold. I'd say it'd do you more harm than good. The only thing you might want to do is go a little easy on your leg workouts for a week or two and let them adjust. Running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes is not hard to do. Cardiovascular conditioning comes and goes quickly so just start running and keep running and you'll easily meet that goal. Unless you are 350 lbs you can build up to running that distance in the next 8 weeks with ease.

gopher
08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
You will be fine running in the morning and lifting in the evening. Many years ago I was in a similar situation. I was a fat slob and I needed to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 15 mintues to get into the police academy. I ran in the morning 4 or 5 days a week and lifted in the evenings 4 times a week. I went from being barely able to walk to the corner without being out of breath to running 1.5 miles in 11 minutes in under 2 months. By the end of the academy I was running 1.5 miles in 10 minutes. I did physical training and defensive tactics every morning and continued to lift 4 days a week without "over training."

Vido
08-29-2004, 10:35 PM
You won't be overtraining if you're eating and sleeping enough.

Paul Stagg
08-30-2004, 07:01 AM
You should have no trouble at all working up to an 8 minute mile while still lifting.

starks713
08-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone and Gopher this is for the police academy so I'm glad to hear you were able to get in good cardiovascular shape in time.