PDA

View Full Version : Another ALA question(s)

Summer
08-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Can ALA and a multi vitamin be taken at the same time?
Also, is it true it deplets biotin levels? Should I take extra biotin?

I currently take:

Multi
vitamin B complex
omega 3
(just currently bought ALA 300MG)

Usually, I take the multi and omega 3 both at the same time in the morning. At night I take the complex.

I am not sure where to fit the ALA in.

Thanks in advance!!

Vido
08-31-2004, 10:46 PM
they can be taken at the same time

no idea about the biotin

Patrick74
09-02-2004, 11:10 PM
ALA works great with creatine and high carb meals.I don't take alot of supplements but ALA with antioxidant properties.....sounds safe....I've tooken 2 grams at a time with nothing but positive effects(I research any sups I take)youre other option is to bump with insulin...never done it but I've heard it's comparable

Summer
09-03-2004, 08:08 PM
ALA works great with creatine and high carb meals.I don't take alot of supplements but ALA with antioxidant properties.....sounds safe....I've tooken 2 grams at a time with nothing but positive effects(I research any sups I take)youre other option is to bump with insulin...never done it but I've heard it's comparable

Thanks for your reply Patrick
Do you take the R-ALA or the regular ALA?
I read that R-ALA is better than then regular ALA. And that regular ALA can do more harm than good. One site said it is a waste of money.
However, other sites say that ALA is good....ect.

What are your thoughts? I have the regular ALA.

thanks again!!

Patrick74
09-05-2004, 09:33 AM
I use regular ALA.My first experience with ALA was celltech creatine.I had always bought creatine in bulk (it's about alot cheaper).But my wife bought me a tub of celltech creatine as a present so I wasn't gonna waste it or hurt her feelings so I used it.It's basically glucose for the insulin spike,ALA and creatine.It was basically 30 servings of creatine for about $65(a big rip-off)but it blew my mind how well it worked after two weeks so I researched the ingredients and figured it had to be the ALA that made it so effective.I had always taken creatine with alot of sugar mixed in for the insulin spike you need for creatine to be effective so the ALA was the only difference.Just letting you know how I came across it.I didn't read about it in Flex and jump on a bandwagon.I stumbled onto something that worked and I can assure you I dont waste my money on a bunch of overpriced supplements.The only sups I take are ALA,creatine and protein shakes.Glutamine works too but I dont buy it unless I can get a good deal.Too $$$.

anyone
09-06-2004, 12:28 AM
Unless you are cutting, why pay extra for ALA, when you can get all the ALA you need and more from flax oil/seed? ALA is a type of omega 3 fatty acid. Flax oil is probably a lot cheaper than your ALA, and it is high in ALA and other good omega 3 fatty acids. But I have read that ALA/omega 3 fatty acids are destroyed by high temperatures, so be sure to look for cold pressed flax oil that is kept refrigerated - hippie health food stores are a good place to look.

Check out this article. There are others that I have read that have said similar things, but I found this one first.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,992,00.html