PDA

View Full Version : Best thing to eat before bed?

Brokensword
09-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best thing to eat before bed on a workout day. I usually have one last can of tuna right before bed on nearly every night that I've worked out during the day. If I can't get my Tuna I get some chicken breast or other fish or form of clean protein in. I'm kind of afraid to eat too many calories or carbs before bed. Is this a relavent fear in your opinions?

Vido
09-01-2004, 12:28 AM
First off, why does your eating before bed differ between a workout day and an off day? You should always eat something before bed, and whether you worked out or not that particular day is completely irrelevant.

Some people eat carbs before bed. If they are within your daily allowance for calories then you should be fine. Also, if you happened to workout at night, and this last meal was also your post-workout meal, then you should definitely be having some carbs. Personally, however, aside from the latter case, I see no point in eating carbs before bed, or any other time besides pre and post-workout...I know many people will disagree with me, so don't necessarily take this as the gospel.

A good pre-bed meal should contain some slow digesting protein (casein, egg, meat, etc...not whey) and some healthy fats, such as flax oil, fish oil, or nuts.

Don't be afraid of eating right before bed. It's actually a very important meal, as it is your last one until morning.

abwowang
09-01-2004, 01:11 AM
wait wait wait..

why is it important to eat before bed?..
i never do.. i thot by eattin before bed u just turn all that food into fat.. and ur body just stores it.

Brokensword
09-01-2004, 01:15 AM
your body does most of it's repairing while you sleep. If you have just torn your muscles to shreds by hitting them hard at the gym your body will be hard at work while you sleep trying to build back what you broke, and it needs fuel and building blocks, i.e. protein and calories and such. Your body will never turn protein into fat. The worst that can happen is that you eat too much protein and your body ends up not using it. Noe Calories and fat are a different story.

London_Guy
09-01-2004, 04:11 AM
wait wait wait..

why is it important to eat before bed?..
i never do.. i thot by eattin before bed u just turn all that food into fat.. and ur body just stores it.

Nope.

I have been eating before bed for years and have a solid 6-pac to show for it. I usually eat something like a small tub of cottage cheese coupled with a glass of milk. These dairy substances contain caseinate which is a slow-acting protein which is perfect for taking before bed considering that you won't be eating for another 7-8 hours.

meltedtime
09-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I eat cottage cheese before bed every night. Slow digesting protein for overnight repairs.

melt

Vido
09-01-2004, 10:22 AM
The worst that can happen is that you eat too much protein and your body ends up not using it. Noe Calories and fat are a different story.

If the calories/fat/carbs/protein/whatever are within your daily limit then it makes no difference in terms of fat gain that you're eating them right before you go to bed.

HemiVision
09-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Your body will never turn protein into fat.

Not true. Your liver can turn protein into glucose, which will be stored as fat like anything else if it isn't burned.

PizDoff
09-03-2004, 07:49 PM
I'd eat the search function.