PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Benefits...and Bench?

Brokensword
09-01-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm very new to Powerlifting. I know that there are the three things, bench, squat, deadlift if I'm not mistaken and I was just wondering just how much different a body builders bench routine would be than a Powerlifters.

Also, I've been told by many people that Deadlifts will greatly improve my overall strength and help with my gains but I'm a bit confused as to how. I don't want to get seriously into powerlifting but if it gets me stronger and helps my all around gains I'm willing to try it. I Deadlifted about four reps for about three sets for the first time yesterday at 135lbs, I am 5'7" and weight 145lbs with 23% bodyfat. Today I just feel the muscles in my lower back very sore and a bit of my rear delts. Just how beneficial will strengthening my lower back be to my all around workout and overall gains? Will a stronger lower back help to obtain a bigger stronger upperback and abs as I've been told? And what other muscles does the Deadlift work that I didn't feel today?

thanks everyone.

johnnytang24
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
BB bench tends to be higher rep (6+) for hypertrophy, whereas PLers tend to use lower reps (1-5) for strength. Not to say that BB doesn't use less reps and PLers more reps sometimes, but high rep training doesn't really help increase strength.

The lower back is one of the most important group of muscles in the body. You sohuld try working the deadlift variations into your routine. Sumo, conventional, Romanian, Stiff legged, snatch grip, one-legged, etc.

ElPietro
09-01-2004, 08:34 AM
The difference between bodybuilders and powerlifters in the regard of training, is a bodybuilder has a "chest" day, a powerlifter has a "bench" day.

A bodybuilder is doing what it takes to get his pecs, shoulders, triceps bigger and better on that day. A powerlifter is trying to work towards increasing his max on bench. So they will work on all things that aid the bench. They will work near max quite often, will train lats with their bench, which a bodybuilder will not. Will do specific work for triceps, and generally work on weaknesses holding their bench back. In many cases a powerlifter will also incorporate a speed day for their bench and squat, and sometimes deadlift as well.

As for deadlifts, it's a safe assumption to say that it works pretty much everything. Start slow, and make sure your form is spot on, once that happens, you will be able to increase slowly and over time amaze yourself with how much you can pull. You can do it on back day, or leg day, or as many including myself prefer, on deadlift day. :cool:

Want2BYounger
09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Deadlifts also cause an increase in growth hormone, helping your body grow as a whole.

Scott S
09-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Deadlifts also cause an increase in growth hormone, helping your body grow as a whole.

Which is negligible, but hey, it's encouraging, right? ;)

Dedliftes rool.

Max-Mex
09-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Real men deadlift.....and squat.

GMCtrk
09-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Real men deadlift.....and squat.

sadly those are the exercises most people don't do (atleast at my college gym). Most people are most concerned about bench (as I, but atleast I don't forget about the other Big 2) tuttut

Ebu
09-15-2004, 11:25 PM
sadly those are the exercises most people don't do (atleast at my college gym). Most people are most concerned about bench (as I, but atleast I don't forget about the other Big 2) tuttut

Don't forget the curl jockeys that use the F'ing racks for curling! GOD! I hate that.