PDA

View Full Version : Sumo's anyone have trouble with this style.

bill
09-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Just wandering this is an awkward style for me, I haven't done them much would it be worth the efforts to become comfortable with. I have heard that most can pull more this way. Any pointers of overcoming the problems with it I just don't feel in a strong position when I have tried sumo's in the past.

Adam
09-01-2004, 09:42 AM
You might just be like me and have a bad build for them.

Max-Mex
09-01-2004, 10:16 AM
I think the whole bad build thing is just a myth IMO. I've tried both and I find sumos much harder than conventional. I thought because of my height (around 5'5") that sumos would work better for me but they don't. I have so much more power when doing conventional style. I'm sure some will disagree but that's how I feel.

I think you should choose a decent weight to lift and try both styles. This way you can decided which you feel stronger doing.

debussy
09-01-2004, 11:00 AM
I would try both ways just to work different muscles. Why not aim to be strong in both? Anyway, as of now I pull more conventional... but I'm sure if I get used to sumo I will be able to pull the same if not more. For me, the hardest part in pulling sumo is getting the weight off the ground. For conventional, getting the weight off the ground is no problem... its usually the lockout.

johnnytang24
09-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I like to pull sumo, which is usually the case with people weak off the floor, so I do most of my pulling snatch width to compensate for that.

BigRic
09-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I personally like sumo's but only with straps because without the close grip feels like my pec is ripping out. but sumo style dead I can lift quite abit more(may be grip)

Vido
09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't see any benefit to doing sumos vs. conventional or vice versa...just go with whatever feels more natural and allows you to lift more weight with good form.

Saint Patrick
09-02-2004, 12:26 AM
I don't see any benefit to doing sumos vs. conventional or vice versa...just go with whatever feels more natural and allows you to lift more weight with good form.

:withstupi

bill
09-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys @ this point I'm sure for like ( Vido) suggested convential is easiest for me. Just pondering if Sumo's are something that your automatically comfortable with or you need to do over time to learn?

justhrowit
09-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Not quite sure about the whole...I'm not built for them thing! I think sone can and some can't no rhyme or reason for it. I use conventional! I've tried sumo and I was aweful at them! Hated them. I'm just more comfortable with conventional. I think it stems to my powerclean/snatch days. I feel like I'm in a more powerful position with my stance inside my arms.

J

Scott S
09-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Sumos work better for me, FWIW. Probably because of my weak back.

Teh BDK
09-05-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm 5'6" and I find both styles equally effective in freaking out the squares in the gym.

DK
09-06-2004, 08:36 AM
I've pulled 475 conv. and 515 sumo. It all depends on personal preference and build. I feel that conventional is all about brute strength. However will sumo I can "technique" more out of the lift. I also feel like I have more stability with a sumo stance.

emjlr3
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
i like sumos, i just think the bar gets in the way on conventional, and sumo works

ah yes and i love freaking out the squares as well, because no one does them but me and a few of my buds, and everyone stares when they see you lifting all those plates

bllarrggg i want to go lift right now

JSully
09-09-2004, 07:17 PM
ah yes and i love freaking out the squares as well, because no one does them but me and a few of my buds, and everyone stares when they see you lifting all those plates

LOL, I definately get attention when I rep out 5 plates each side (495).

As far as me, I use conventional. I just like it better. :thumbup:

BigNic
09-09-2004, 08:54 PM
teh bdk, did you have a past name on this site?

bill
09-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Well after seeing Chris Rodgers video I'm going to give sumo's another try, now that I've seen how to do them.