PDA

View Full Version : hiit during bulk

ronnie2004
09-02-2004, 03:38 PM
hey ,is it ok to do hiit during a bulk and on what days in a 4 day split shud it be done,
cheers ronnie

geoffgarcia
09-02-2004, 04:54 PM
the question is why would you want to?

hiit is a great way to burn through calories and keep up your metabolism (or so I've heard)
on a bulk that would mean you just have to eat that much more food in a day!
Rather than the time/effort/extra eating that HIIT would require I'd recommend just doing 15 minutes of slow paced cardio (120-140 bpm) post workout

and most importantly just control your bulk and eat clean

ronnie2004
09-02-2004, 05:31 PM
im carrying a fair bit of fat now, like when i tense abs theres about an inch of fat on top of abs and i can grab a good inch and a half on my waist. can i not burn fat on rest days of bulk. say i need 4000 calories a day and some days i only get 3800 will my body burn some fat to make up calorie deficit??
cheers
ronnie

ryuage
09-02-2004, 06:18 PM
it's alright, but for what you are wanting to do it for there is no need, you aren't going to lose fat on a bulk.

Vido
09-02-2004, 10:13 PM
You're not going to lose fat on a bulk. There's no reason you can't do HIIT to stay in shape though. IMO, the worst part about bulking is how much harder cardiovascular activity becomes with the added weight. However, if you're doing cardio regularly, then you should be able to adjust more easily.

You are going to have to be in a much larger caloric deficit than 200 calories in order to burn any noticeable amounts of fat.

Maki Riddington
09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
HIIT on a bulk can be a great way to keep excess fat off.

Jasonl
09-02-2004, 11:24 PM
I think aka23 posted a few studies noting the nutrition partitioning benefits associated with cardio while in a caloric surplus. In any case, cardio while bulking is good.

geoffgarcia
09-02-2004, 11:32 PM
J, I read those studies that AKA posted
IMHO they were inconclusive

Jasonl
09-02-2004, 11:36 PM
J, I read those studies that AKA posted
IMHO they were inconclusive
Point taken, but my only real reason for doing cardio while bulking is to stay in shape. :)

Brokensword
09-03-2004, 12:59 AM
So, what's all this talk about "Hiit"? I've been trying to find a good way to keep excess bodyfat off while bulking but withough hindering my mass gains. If this "Hiit" you speak of is a great way to keep excess fat off, I would surely like to know more about it. Thanks in advance all.

Vido
09-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Rather than the time/effort/extra eating that HIIT would require I'd recommend just doing 15 minutes of slow paced cardio (120-140 bpm) post workout

I have to disagree here. What purpose is 15 minutes of low-moderate intensity cardio going to serve? It's not going to do anything cardiovascularly, and it's not going to do anything in terms of body compostion...and really, except for those sick nuts out there that actually like cardio, those are the only reasons we do it.

geoffgarcia
09-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I have to disagree here. What purpose is 15 minutes of low-moderate intensity cardio going to serve? It's not going to do anything cardiovascularly, and it's not going to do anything in terms of body compostion...and really, except for those sick nuts out there that actually like cardio, those are the only reasons we do it.
I completely agree! I think its pointless:) I was just saying that if someone is convinced that they must do some cardio then try to limit it to 10-15 minutes and not dedicate a full day and a 30-50 minute workout for it.
I completely agree with you though, low intensity won't do anything cardiovascularly, and it will only burn a tiny portion of calories, possibly just keeping your gym workout heart rate up for a little longer...

AllUp
09-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I always thought aerobic/cardio activity following a workout reduces lactic acid buildup. Seems to work on my leg days, which used to cripple me until I incorporated 10-15min of moderate cardio.

As stated above though, it may not be worth it, and may actually end up being more of a pain having to recount and keep track of the changes in calorie intake with the added cardio or HIIT in mind.

IMHO Just do it if you don't wanna be AS sore the next day, otherwise it isn't really necessary.

body
09-03-2004, 05:21 PM
wehn you come to your diet, if you do HIIT while bulkign your be fitter for it.
so can preform better when dieitng.
plus it can be fun
use up some energy as well. help you sleep etc

Jasonl
09-03-2004, 05:27 PM
plus it can be fun
I know, it can be. I don't know what's wrong with my but I was starting to enjoy my early-afternoon HIIT sessions outside in the 90 degree heat... Until I hurt my back again.
:scratch:

Brokensword
09-04-2004, 01:51 AM
what the hell is HIIT!?!?!?!?!!!

Pardon me for sounding stupid, but I have no idea what HIIT is and I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

body
09-04-2004, 02:49 AM
hiit + high intensity interval trianing

Vido
09-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Brokensword, to use running as an example, you would do a sprint, followed by a slow jog or walk, and repeat for a desired number of reps. When you start out, the "resting" period is typically 2-3 times as long as the actual sprint. As you progress, you'll work towards a 1:1 sprint:rest ratio (the sprints don't become longer...the rest becomes shorter).

Alke
09-04-2004, 08:45 AM
I am usingf HIIT right now with my current bulk, (only once a week vice using it three times a week as I did on cutting)

this is my second bulk and hiit once a week has made it MUCH better to handle the increased weight = I dont get out of breathe as easily going uphill or going up stairs and general everyday stuff. LAst bulk I did no cardio and after gaining 45 pounds I was a cardio wreck and it took me a few weeks into cutting to get my wind back.

so I can say from my own experience that some hiit is very beneficial for bulking. granted not everyone needs cardio while bulking, but after comparing my last two bulks it is helping me to handle my increased weight better.