PDA

View Full Version : Why do I struggle to get alot of Calories?

Brokensword
09-03-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm on a Bulk right now and barely gaining any weight. Yesterday I took some desperate measures and headed to McDonalds and Gorged myself on 4 double cheeseburgers after having stuffed myself with tons of Tuna, Chicken, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, etc. Etc.

I've been tracking my calories and I've discovered that I have to struggle to reach 2500 calories a day. It just seems like so much food, and I do eat alot calorie rich foods such as PB, Oatmeal and eggs (lots of em). Is it possible that I'm undercounting how many calories I'm consuming and it may be closer to around 3,000?

At 5'7" and 145lbs 20% bodyfat, how many calories should I be consuming on a bulk anyway? I've calculated that it should be around 2,500 to 2,800. And one last question. I can't find the stats on wendy's chicken nuggets. I know they are protein rich, but are they calorie rich? Can I count on them to add up the calories? Cause I can eat 4 or 5 orders of them at a time and do on occasion.

Adam
09-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Eat more frequently, its easier to eat 6 small meals to get in your neccessary calories.

EviscerationX
09-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Maybe you should add some kind of weight gainer to your meal plan....those can have anywhere around 1400-2000 calories...or somewhere around there. You should look around. You're probably not counting your calories right...I go a little overboard and measure every single thing I eat...

Yeah...you need to not gorge yourself when you eat...your digestive system can't properly use all of that food all at once, it's all wasted.

Vido
09-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I can't see how anyone who is "gorging" on anything is having a tough time eating 2500 calories. I think it's definitely possible that you're undercounting.

How many eggs is a lot? I used to think 3 was a lot...today I had 12 for breakfast.

Wendy's chicken nuggets are more "calorie-rich" than "protein-rich", as they probably have more fat than protein.

Y2A
09-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Chicken nuggets suck, they are 11g protein (I think) and 220 cals, if I remember correctly. Wendys.com will have teh nutrition if you look around.

Manveet
09-03-2004, 06:45 PM
I can't see how anyone who is "gorging" on anything is having a tough time eating 2500 calories. I think it's definitely possible that you're undercounting.

How many eggs is a lot? I used to think 3 was a lot...today I had 12 for breakfast.

Wendy's chicken nuggets are more "calorie-rich" than "protein-rich", as they probably have more fat than protein.

Were those 12 whole eggs? Or 12 sissy egg whites?

PowerManDL
09-03-2004, 06:52 PM
LOL...I can eat over 2K for breakfast if I'm "gorging."

Breaking 5000, that's when it starts to get hard.

Manveet
09-03-2004, 06:54 PM
LOL...I can eat over 2K for breakfast if I'm "gorging."

Breaking 5000, that's when it starts to get hard.

But then again you weigh a little more than 145lbs;)

PowerManDL
09-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Just a wee bit :D

Brokensword
09-03-2004, 07:31 PM
I usually eat six egg whites and consider that alot. It's hard to eat much more after that. I just don't see how eating 5000 calories in a day is possible unless you ate an entire Jar of JIF and took weight gainer up the ass all day long. But I guess I'll have to look for some good weight gainer. I used to be scared of that stuff cause I thought the excess calories would just pack on the fat, but I seem to not be gaining any weight of any kind while I work out and eat as much food as I possibly can. Any recommendations for a good weight gainer or two?

Vido
09-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Were those 12 whole eggs? Or 12 sissy egg whites?

If I say eggs, I mean whole eggs, assclown :D. If I was eating just the whites, it would be more than a dozen.

Vido
09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
I usually eat six egg whites and consider that alot.

No wonder you have trouble eating 2500 calories. 6 egg whites is about 100 calories.

PowerManDL
09-03-2004, 08:09 PM
This guy needs the magic of the McDonald's dollar value meal and those 5lb tv dinners they sell at the grocery store.

Shadowless
09-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm on a Bulk right now and barely gaining any weight. Yesterday I took some desperate measures and headed to McDonalds and Gorged myself on 4 double cheeseburgers after having stuffed myself with tons of Tuna, Chicken, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, etc. Etc.

I've been tracking my calories and I've discovered that I have to struggle to reach 2500 calories a day. It just seems like so much food, and I do eat alot calorie rich foods such as PB, Oatmeal and eggs (lots of em). Is it possible that I'm undercounting how many calories I'm consuming and it may be closer to around 3,000?

At 5'7" and 145lbs 20% bodyfat, how many calories should I be consuming on a bulk anyway? I've calculated that it should be around 2,500 to 2,800. And one last question. I can't find the stats on wendy's chicken nuggets. I know they are protein rich, but are they calorie rich? Can I count on them to add up the calories? Cause I can eat 4 or 5 orders of them at a time and do on occasion.

If you're aiming for 2500 calories think about it like this. Eat 5 meals a day and make sure there's atleast 500 calories in each meal. I'm close to your weight I weigh 125 and I'm 5'6.

For example I'll tell you what I ate today.

Breakfast:

Bowl of cereal
One Apple
2 Banannas
Orange Juice

Snack 1:

Cup of Noodles

Snack 2:

Beeforoni
Gatoraide

Got Done Work Came Home Snack:

Salad
Orange Juice
Some Celery

Dinner:

Corn on the Cob
Pizza
Orange Juice

That's pretty much what I ate. I also had a granola bar, some m&m peanuts, water ice, and several cups of water and orange juice as well as some other snacks.

I'm not sure how many calories that is but I'm sure it's over 2500.

I guess it's easier for me since where I work I'm alone and eat whenever I want too.

Vido
09-03-2004, 09:54 PM
No offense Shadowless, but that diet is utterly horrid.

Brokensword
09-04-2004, 02:07 AM
I'm calculating here that some good weight gainer, tons of Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Rice, yogurts, smoothies, and high cal-shakes can serve as the basis for the main bulk of your Caloric intake. Other than of course the foods you eat for the Protein such as chicken breast, Tuna, eggs and so on. Am I missing any great high-cal foods here?

Besides, the McDonals value menu and those 5lbs Hungry Man TV dinners can't be so bad every once in a while.

BTW, I eat the egg whites cause I've always been told that the yellow has near no nutritional value and contains all the cholestorol and most of the fat. What can the yellow have that has any value to bodybuilders? Does the yellow contain lots of calories?

Max-Mex
09-04-2004, 03:42 AM
Borkensword, a scale can be your best friend. I have 2 small scales that I use for 90% of the stuff I eat. I measure almost everything to get an accurate calorie count as I can.

"after having stuffed myself with tons of Tuna, Chicken, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, etc. Etc."

I do find it hard to believe that you aren't eating enough. However, how long have you been bulking? 1 lb a week is a good rate of weight gain. Any higher than that and you could run the risk of gaining more fat than muscle.

Vido
09-04-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm calculating here that some good weight gainer, tons of Peanut Butter, Oatmeal, Rice, yogurts, smoothies, and high cal-shakes can serve as the basis for the main bulk of your Caloric intake. Other than of course the foods you eat for the Protein such as chicken breast, Tuna, eggs and so on. Am I missing any great high-cal foods here?

BTW, I eat the egg whites cause I've always been told that the yellow has near no nutritional value and contains all the cholestorol and most of the fat. What can the yellow have that has any value to bodybuilders? Does the yellow contain lots of calories?

You're forgetting one of the best high calorie foods out there...oil, flax or olive. A little old tablespoon has 125 calories or so. That's more than your 6 egg whites, and there's no way a tbsp of liquid is going to fill you up.

You've been told wrong. The yolk has basically ALL of the good stuff in an egg, the whites are just protein and nothing else. The yolk contains half the protein in an egg + a bunch of fat and vitamins. The cholesterol in your diet has negligible effects on your own cholesterol levels. Your personal cholesterol levels are going to be determined a) by genetics and b) by consumption of saturated fat.

Aside from peanut butter, you seem to eat almost no fat and have some type of aversion to it. You need fat in your diet for optimal hormone levels. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to bodybuilding the macronutrients, in order of importance are, protein > fat > carbs.

chris mason
09-04-2004, 09:32 AM
It is much easier to drink calories than it is to eat them. Mix-up some high calorie shakes to supplement your food intake. Check out this article for some recipes:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/shakingitup.php

GMCtrk
09-04-2004, 10:16 PM
peanut butter is my friend in the morning :D

furious
09-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Throw the diet out and start over.

harryhoudini66
09-05-2004, 01:48 PM

Yes it is possible. By the way, I think you are exagerating your body fat too. 145 @ 5'7, how can you be 20%?

Brokensword
09-05-2004, 04:01 PM
"How can you be 20%?"

Because I must not have much lean body mass. My muscles seem strong, but extremely compact. They feel alot firmer than I think that they should be. I guess genetically I have trouble gaining mass.

geoffgarcia
09-05-2004, 04:22 PM
It is much easier to drink calories than it is to eat them. Mix-up some high calorie shakes to supplement your food intake. Check out this article for some recipes:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/shakingitup.phpwhat he said

just take 3 shakes per day that are 50g of blended protein + 2 tbsp of fat (28g)
and there ya have 452 calories per shake, so 3 = 1356
(granted that would put you at the upper limit of the amount of fat you'd want to have at your weight and on a cut)

DontRevMe
09-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I would add 2 nlarge shakes in 16oz of skim milk each day. Thats another 100+g protein, 170g carbs, and 1600+cals

Feminator
09-06-2004, 03:37 AM
3000 calories a day, 6 meals, that's 500 calories a meal.

Here are some ideas:

Breakfast:
quarter pounder burger on bun, with 30g cheese grated on top
Second breakfast:
roast chicken sandwiches on buns
Dinner:
meat and potato pie, chips and peas
Tea:
3 sausages on a bun
Supper:
pizza

That adds up to 3200 calories in 5 meals, with 185g of protein, and generally just using processed foods off the shelf that are simple to cook. If you use more raw ingredients and make stuff yourself I'm sure you could do even better than that.

mattburns
09-06-2004, 04:12 AM
i cant see him makin much progress on a diet like that its full of rubbish.

DontRevMe
09-06-2004, 10:12 AM
3000 calories a day, 6 meals, that's 500 calories a meal.

Here are some ideas:

Breakfast:
quarter pounder burger on bun, with 30g cheese grated on top
Second breakfast:
roast chicken sandwiches on buns
Dinner:
meat and potato pie, chips and peas
Tea:
3 sausages on a bun
Supper:
pizza

That adds up to 3200 calories in 5 meals, with 185g of protein, and generally just using processed foods off the shelf that are simple to cook. If you use more raw ingredients and make stuff yourself I'm sure you could do even better than that.

:micro:

185g of protein isnt getting anyone anywhere. Good luck on the pizza diet :windup:

mattburns
09-06-2004, 10:27 AM
dontrevme, how many grams of protein a day do you eat, you're at about the same weight as me, how come 185g wont get anyone anywhere?

Feminator
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM

Why not? 185g of protein at 145lbs? That's 1.25g per pound, more than the 0.8-1.0 recommended, and he's getting over 3000 calories which is 21* bodyweight, which is what he needs, why won't he make progress on that?

Alex.V
09-06-2004, 03:51 PM

He'll get bigger and stronger. Granted, if he stuck to brown rice and tuna he might have a SLIGHTLY lower bodyfat percentage when he got there, but marginal at best.

Now, whether or not that diet's HEALTHY is another matter altogether. But he'll definitely make progress on it.

Den Fisher
09-06-2004, 07:00 PM
today I woke up at 12.. and now I have like 10 hours to cram as much in as possible.. I sat here eating all day.. and the gym was closed. :/

And I puked 2 nights in a row.. but don't think it will happen again (happened from toothpaste and running after eating) do you think that screwed my muscles up any by puking them 2 nights?

Anyways.. here's what my usual day looks like..

morning:

6-8 whole eggs
juice with creatine
2-4 pieces of bread

afternoon (lunch at school):

nice sized salad
bottle of water
and whatever looks the nices between their choices, too bad everything we have is mostly pizza or somethin' with white bread.. so I usually hope to get a chicken pattie, nuggets, etc.

after school:

eat about 10-12 bites out of Peanut Butter
protein shake
can of tuna
couple big chunks of cheese

after workout (supper):

3 pieces of chicken breasts
water

before bed:

about 10-12 bites out of Peanut Butter
can of tuna
water

does my eating sound pretty good? :help:

DontRevMe
09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
dontrevme, how many grams of protein a day do you eat, you're at about the same weight as me, how come 185g wont get anyone anywhere?

im up to 179/.5 from 150 a few months ago...I TRY to eat 250+ a day

mattburns
09-07-2004, 04:12 AM
ok. well im on about 200+ a day and im 177.

den yea that looks good, what about eating oats for breakfast theyre high in cals and carbs, a good start to the day.

Focused
09-07-2004, 06:59 AM
i definately suggest taking weight gainer...theres some out there thats 2000 calories per serving...i started taking some mixing in with ice cream and i started to get pretty big

TaNkArMs747
09-07-2004, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=Brokensword]I'm on a Bulk right now and barely gaining any weight. Yesterday I took some desperate measures and headed to McDonalds and Gorged myself on 4 double cheeseburgers after having stuffed myself with tons of Tuna, Chicken, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, etc. Etc.
QUOTE]

Thats weird. I have a hard time staying under 4,000 calories. Yesterday I was counting my way up to 3,000 I figured I'd eat 3,000 calories. My sister was sick and over because of the hurricane that hit us for the past couple days (florida) and she got me sick, cause my immune system was down because of the immensely lowered daily calorie count. So I adjusted my calorie intake to 4,000. I ate 2 pieces of pizza. a piece of pizza has 700 calories each. Thats 1,400 calories alone plus a glass of milk which one cup is 130 calories roughly 2 cups a glass is 260 calories. 1,660 calories in one sitting. I noticed that that wasn't enough a couple hours later, I ate the same thing 2 slices and a glass of milk thats together 3,320 calories for just two sittings, plus the 2,500 I already ate. Thats roughly 5,820 calories (a mile of calories, lol). I know that if I had chose something with less calories than pizza it would of been much harder to obtain this height in calories, but if I can eat 3,320 calories just with 4 piece of pizza and 2 glasses of milk, how can you have a hard time eatting 2,500 calories? Are you sure your counting the servings and multiplying the calorie each unit serving too? Just a possibility.

dissipate
09-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Yesterday I took some desperate measures and headed to McDonalds and Gorged myself on 4 double cheeseburgers after having stuffed myself with tons of Tuna, Chicken, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, etc. Etc

i think you are. 1 double cheeseburger contains about 490 calories. 4 of them contain 1960 calories, close to 2k already.

are you currently using calorie counters to get a close estimation of your daily caloric intake?

i'm also curious to know your sleeping hours.

Brokensword
09-08-2004, 02:08 PM
wow, I had no idea that those double cheeseburgers had that many calories. So on that day that I did that I had to have had upwards of 4,000 calories. But it doesn't seem so because even though I weighed almost five pounds heavier when I went to bed, I woke up and weighed myself and had dropped all that weight back down to 145lbs.

I'm pretty sure I count the calories correctly. I do get extremely full sometimes and maybe that's what is holding me back.

In response to dissipates question: Yes, I do get enough sleep, most nights at least. It usually ranges from 7 to up to 11 hours a night. Usually don't get to bed til 1:00 or 2:00 though. I heard somewhere that going to bed at midnight was the optimal time to go to bed, but I haven't heard much about it since.

On an Optimistic sidenote. Since I started this thread I HAVE gained weight. About two pounds. Probably half of that is fat, but I'm ok with that. At least it's encouraging to know that I'm gaining some weight after all this work. I've gotten very friendly with Peanut Butter and olive oil and I have some weight gainer ready for taking in the morning and post workout. Yesterday I went to the gym and I consumed about 3,000 calories (success!) with the help of the weight gainer shake and I woke up this morning a teeny bit heavier and a whole lot less sore than usual, which I presume is a good thing. does it sound like I'm making good progress???

Zearoth
09-08-2004, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Brokensword]I'm on a Bulk right now and barely gaining any weight. Yesterday I took some desperate measures and headed to McDonalds and Gorged myself on 4 double cheeseburgers after having stuffed myself with tons of Tuna, Chicken, Pasta, Oatmeal, Cereal, Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, etc. Etc.
QUOTE]

Thats weird. I have a hard time staying under 4,000 calories. Yesterday I was counting my way up to 3,000 I figured I'd eat 3,000 calories. My sister was sick and over because of the hurricane that hit us for the past couple days (florida) and she got me sick, cause my immune system was down because of the immensely lowered daily calorie count. So I adjusted my calorie intake to 4,000. I ate 2 pieces of pizza. a piece of pizza has 700 calories each. Thats 1,400 calories alone plus a glass of milk which one cup is 130 calories roughly 2 cups a glass is 260 calories. 1,660 calories in one sitting. I noticed that that wasn't enough a couple hours later, I ate the same thing 2 slices and a glass of milk thats together 3,320 calories for just two sittings, plus the 2,500 I already ate. Thats roughly 5,820 calories (a mile of calories, lol). I know that if I had chose something with less calories than pizza it would of been much harder to obtain this height in calories, but if I can eat 3,320 calories just with 4 piece of pizza and 2 glasses of milk, how can you have a hard time eatting 2,500 calories? Are you sure your counting the servings and multiplying the calorie each unit serving too? Just a possibility.

I strongly doubt thast one slive contains 700 calories. Unless it says right on the food label or whatever, I stand unconvinced.

sublime99
09-08-2004, 03:43 PM
MY DIET

BREAKFAST

6 oz chicken breast
8egg whites
4 whole eggs
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 piece of toast
8oz milk

snack
Tangerine