PDA

View Full Version : Cardio-How much is too much?

Mad Max
09-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Today I started the day, pre breakfast, with a forty minute run. Now I'm about to cycle 20-25 minutes to the gym, thn the same distance back. At the gym I will be doing squats and leg presses, as well as the calf machine. I will also be doing back, including deadlifts. As you can see I don't do that many leg exercises, cos' I they get enough of a workout with the running and cycling.
Baring in mind I'm almost at the size I want to be, so bulking isn't really in my interest, and that I'm striving for an even lower level of bodyfat, does that sound like a senisble routine. I also do martial arts twice a week, including stand up kickbox sparring and grappling (which is very tiring). I was even thinking of adding some swimming in there somewhere.
Am I killing myself, or am I just and average fitness enthusiast? :strong:

JOSEPH
09-05-2004, 05:29 AM
Sounds like you are doing a lot to me, although I don't have enough information about your current diet and what your lifestyle really is like.

a fighter
09-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Your body needs to heal after cardio workouts just like lifting. You can do moderate cardio every day, but if you destroy yourself during a cardio workout it is like destroying yourself during a chest or leg workout. Track runners usually offset their difficult days and rest days. Gotta heal like everything else.

waynis
09-06-2004, 01:37 PM
what i have learned is that over 90 minutes of cardio a week will start to affect your resistance training results. So just depends on how serious you are about building the most muscle possible.

SW
09-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I've heard that after 45 min. of cardio muscle destroying cortisol levels get too high.