PDA

View Full Version : my new love!!!!

emjlr3
09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Egg white shakes

me and my roomate started yesterday and im in love

about 8-10 egg whites in the cup, followed by some non fat yogurt, then 2 scoops of ice cream, and usually half a banana, then mix that bad boy up

one of the best healthy things i ever tasted

anyone else try this out before and have any suggestions for what to put in it, and how much fat do you think im getting from those 2 scoops of ice cream because taht is all im worried about, along with the sugar but there is no avoiding that, unless i keep making my omlets, but im damn tired of that :)

cheers

Teh BDK
09-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Salmonella Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Bacteria Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah .

Nah, I like egg white shakes, man. Its one of the most bioavailable proteins available and I think its what is used as the '100' point on the protein bioavailability scale.

Tasty too.

Of course when I did drink those glasses of eggwhites it felt like I was drinking ectoplasm.

TheGimp
09-07-2004, 02:56 AM
It's certainly not one of the most bioavailable protein if you don't cook them, and a sure fire way to find yourself biotin deficient.

Teh BDK
09-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Why would cooking the egg make it more bioavailable?

TheGimp
09-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Egg whites contain the glycoprotein avidin. This needs to be denatured by heating it so that the protein can be digested and avoid it binding to biotin.

emjlr3
09-07-2004, 01:52 PM
arggg.....they are giving me terrible gas...anyone else have that prob....?

so is driking them raw good or bad???? anyone?

geoffgarcia
09-07-2004, 02:10 PM
ahhh eggs givin ya the old barking spiders I see:)
here is some good readin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A673508

TheGimp
09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Let me put it this way. Protein available in 10 raw egg whites: 0g. Protein available in 10 cooked egg whites: 30g.

emjlr3
09-07-2004, 06:20 PM
heh thnx for the help guys

then y do ppl drink raw eggs, isnt it the same thing???

TheGimp
09-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Because they are ignorant. The protein in the yolk (3g) will still be digestible but it still seems pointless to me. Just get yourself some protein powder, or cook your eggs.

galileo
09-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Do you believe this applies to items such as Egg Beaters and 100% Whites? Things that are pastuerized, but not necessarily cooked?

TheGimp
09-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Apparently the pasteurization process involves heating the egg whites to ~130C which is adequate to neutralize the avidin, so go for it :)

galileo
09-08-2004, 10:12 AM
I thought perhaps that would be it, but now I'm curious how they process the whites back to a liquid. Crazy mofos.

AllUp
09-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Damn, good question. I always wondered about that myself, thats why I never grab eggbeaters @ foodmart. It would surely beat dumping 100+ eggshells at a time into the compost pile. O_o

Teh BDK
09-09-2004, 12:22 AM
So if you drink the egg whites, are there effective calories or is it just not absorbed at all, resulting in them shooting through your bowels like a dose of salts through a short Aborigine? If I drink a glass of egg whites, is it just a total waste of time or am I getting calories? I know i'm being a little stubborn but it just doesn't compute that you can consume an egg white and you won't get the protein.

TheGimp
09-09-2004, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear. If you do not heat an egg white, either by cooking it or because it has been pausterized, then the avidin is indigestible. No protein, no calories.

Why do you find it so incomprehensible? Take the case of fibre. It will contribute to the total grams of carbohydrate listed in nutritional information for a product but no calories as, it too, is indigestible.

Teh BDK
09-11-2004, 10:09 PM
So you're saying that an uncooked eggwhite has zero calories. I may be going out on a limb here, but yes, I do find that hard to believe. Hard but not impossible, mind you.

Do things change if you include the yolk? Are uncooked yolks digested?

TheGimp
09-12-2004, 07:39 AM
It is my understanding that the protein in the egg white is entirely from avidin and the only avidin in the egg is in the egg white. Therefore it has zero calories, in the same way that Olestra is fat with no calories because it is indigestable.

This would mean that the yolk is digestable. Furthermore they are loaded with biotin and may in fact offset the loss of biotin by eating undenatured avidin in the raw egg white. You would still not be getting any benefit from the whites and you'd still end up with less biotin than if you didn't include them.

If you don't believe me then go ahead and eat your raw egg whites but are you willing to take the risk that I am right and eat them with absolutely no benefit? There really is no reason to eat raw eggs. At the very least simply use pasteurized egg beaters. I am unsure whether there are any alternative means of pasteurization, but if there are then you want the ones which are simply heated.