PDA

View Full Version : Is it good to mix Oatmeal with Whey Powder

HighlyFanatic
10-28-2001, 09:21 PM
If you cook your oatmeal (you know add milk, oatmeal....cook it together), and add whey........wont it denature the protein's from the whey powder (just thought that its possible, learned it in biochemistry).

I think most naturally occuring proteins are stable up to 60 degrees Celsius before they start to denature, but if you've got hot oatmeal and add whey......it denatures (protein unfolds, and breaks up)......bad thing!! right?

Big Worm
10-28-2001, 09:37 PM
The whey may denature but its not really a bad thing. When a protein is denatured it means that the amino acid chains lose their shape and can no longer perfom their function. For example you denature an egg every time you cook it. All this means is that the egg can no longer hatch. During digestion we break down these amino chains for our body to use to build new proetins so basically the aminos from a denatured protein are still good and can be utilized by us for protein synthesis. Otherwise eggs would be pretty worthless unless we ate them raw.

10-28-2001, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by HighlyFanatic
If you cook your oatmeal (you know add milk, oatmeal....cook it together), and add whey........wont it denature the protein's from the whey powder (just thought that its possible, learned it in biochemistry).

I think most naturally occuring proteins are stable up to 60 degrees Celsius before they start to denature, but if you've got hot oatmeal and add whey......it denatures (protein unfolds, and breaks up)......bad thing!! right?

highly fanatic, what you do is mix your protein powder in your oatmeal after it is done cooking. I do it everyday and it tastes delicious.

Robbyrh10
04-12-2008, 11:45 AM
highly fanatic, what you do is mix your protein powder in your oatmeal after it is done cooking. I do it everyday and it tastes delicious.

I do the same thing. Absolutely love it:)

Qu13tSt0rM
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
You know what you guys might like as well.
I like to rip open a package of Quaker Instant Oatmeal and blend it into My Chocolate Whey Protein Shakes and throw in a banana as well.
I might seem weird but tastes amazing. i was shocked when i first had it.
Word of advice though, it only really taste good with the Chocolate Whey...

getfit
04-12-2008, 03:39 PM
I do the same thing. Absolutely love it:)

same here.Chocolate protein tastes the best I find.