PDA

View Full Version : What should I be eating?

reesee
09-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Hello

Forgive my ignorance, I've read for about two hours and have learned alot, although I'm not sure about a few things. Here is the short of it.

Age = 30
Weight = 135 (My eating has been very bad in the past)
Height = 6.0'
BMI = 18.31 (according to this website (http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/17/101524.htm) )

I have read on the types of food to eat, but how big should the meals I eat be? how to I judge? I would like to weigh about 200 eventually, but it be muscle. Also, I drink a few cans of pop a day (I love pepsi) do I have to give this up to gain weight? does pop effect my metabolism?

Thanks for the help.

fishbrains
09-07-2004, 08:26 AM
wow. 6'0 and 135..

stay away from soda (pop), and do a massive bulk! Since you are so low in weight, i say go with the see-food diet :)

Aspect
09-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Is your weight stable right now? If it is, then you're eating "maintenance calories" at the moment (i.e. you're eating enough to maintain your current weight). Track what you eat for a week or two; write everything you eat down, and use a website such as www.fitday.com or www.nutritiondata.com to work out how many calories you're eating.

Next, you need to start eating more. Try eating 300 calories per day above maintenance for a couple of weeks. If you put on a little weight, keep eating at this level; if not, add an extra 300 or so for a couple of weeks. Keep doing this until you start to gain - you want to gain slowly, probably no more than 1lb per week. As you gain weight you'll need to gradually eat more and more - any time your weight-gain slows or stops, add a couple hundred calories more.

This gradual increase makes it easier to digest the food you're getting, and isn't a huge shock to the system. Try to spread your food out throughout the day, but don't be obsessed about it - 5 or 6 meals per day is ideal, but if you can only eat 3 times that's not going to kill you. Likewise don't worry too much about how much you eat per meal - your meal sizes will be dictated by the number of calories you eat and how often you eat them. One thing to be sure of is eating a decent breakfast; if you skip this, you've lost a great chance to get some calories in.

As far as what you eat, you probably know what stuff is healthy and what isn't - you should be eating plenty of fruit and veg, lean protein, whole grains, low-fat dairy, nuts, seeds, healthful oils etc. However, while this stuff is very important for health, it's less important for weight gain. You can gain weight on an unhealthy diet. So while I'd never recommend eating unhealthily, you don't need to be a food fascist to gain weight.

My advice for the composition of your diet would be to make changes gradually. You're going to be adding food - why not make all those additional calories from healthy sources? Even with no other change to your diet you'll be getting more micronutrients and improving your health. Over time you can increase your consumption of the healthy stuff and decrease the bad you eat, but as I say, don't feel you need to change everything overnight.

I hope it goes without saying that you need a sensible weight training program to gain muscle, and you need to be consistent with it.

If you've got any more questions then of course post them. Good luck with your goals!