PDA

View Full Version : "Clean" Bulk VS "Dirty" Bulk

Zearoth
09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey.

I've heard lots of people go through different bulks on WBB, and found that some people choose to go on the McDonald's diet, or a "dirty" bulk to gain mass, and some choose (including me) try to cleanly add calories daily to bulk up in weight.

What kinds of benefits does clean bulking have as oppose to dirty bulking other than health? Obviously, there will be lots of health problems with prolonged consumption of let's say, McDonald's Big Macs, but what else is there that would be beneficial to bulking in a clean way?

Also, just a quick question, does Gatorade suffice replenishing carbs in your body after a workout? Also, can it be taken prior to workout similarly to dextrose?

Thanks a lot! :strong:

Ðragons
09-07-2004, 03:29 PM
well mcdonalds bulk would be bad, did ya see the guy who ate it for a month every day? break/din/tea

put on 17lbs or something, but had severe health issues i think at the end.

Clean Bulk - adding more muscle than fat(i think)
Dirty Bulk - adding to much fat, killing your heart, and generally a bad idea imo ;)

altho ive never done a clean bulk ;)

EdgarMex
09-07-2004, 06:50 PM
It's not only a matter of eating clean, but also of keeping your caloric intake under control. Or at least that's the way it is for those of use who tend to pack on the pounds (fat pounds that is) easily.

AstronautJones
09-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Dirty bulks = fun.

Clean bulks = not as fun.

Manveet
09-07-2004, 10:43 PM
It's not only a matter of eating clean, but also of keeping your caloric intake under control. Or at least that's the way it is for those of use who tend to pack on the pounds (fat pounds that is) easily.

Agreed.

I think a lot of people are under the misconception that if they eat only "clean foods" that they can technically over-eat and not gain any/minimal amount of fat.

EviscerationX
09-08-2004, 01:23 AM
The worst misconception that pisses me off the most (and my friend just won't listen) is that he thinks he has to put on like 30 pounds of fat before working out again, cuz he thinks it'll turn into muscle. He spends more time getting fat than hitting the weights. I don't understand some people.

BulkMeUp
09-08-2004, 10:46 AM
The worst misconception that pisses me off the most (and my friend just won't listen) is that he thinks he has to put on like 30 pounds of fat before working out again, cuz he thinks it'll turn into muscle. He spends more time getting fat than hitting the weights. I don't understand some people.
Some ppl just like to learn things the hard way. Besides IMO, ppl who know you are less likely to pay attention to your opnions, but they will listen and believe a complete stranger who might give them a pile of BS!! :soapbox:

Plenty of truth in the saying 'familiarity breeds contempt'.

shootermcgavin7
09-08-2004, 11:09 AM
well mcdonalds bulk would be bad, did ya see the guy who ate it for a month every day? break/din/tea

He also made it a point not to exercise, wasn't a really big guy to start with, and was probably eating over 5,000 calories a day.

Maki Riddington
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
The whole point of weight training is to lead a somewhat healthy lifestyle. Raising ones cholesteral levels and blood presure all in the name of 10 pounds of muscle is craziness. There is a sane way and healthy to putting on muscle.

HobbesAB
09-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's the journal of Chazz Weaver who did a McDonald's Diet but he also exercised.

http://www.truthinfitness.org/projects/mcDonalds/journal.html

Read the journal. I found it fairly interesting. Here is the conclusion from the website:

Okay, here are the results:

Weight – I started at 222lbs and in thirty days I dropped 8lbs of “body fat”, ending the thirty days at 214lbs.
Blood Pressure - I started at 111/71, a bit low, and ended the thirty days at 121/81 which is optimal.
Cholesterol – this is where you need to understand about cholesterol!
My HDL (the good cholesterol) improved 80%.
My LDL (the bad cholesterol) went down 2 points. That’s an improvement!
My overall cholesterol went up 6% because of my HDL improvement, however this is an improvement overall.
My Triglycerides improved 42%
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: I am saying that exercise was the reason for my improvements and not the fact that I only ate McDonald’s food for 30 days. If you were to take exercise out of the equation, I would have gained 30 to 40 pounds of body fat, and I can not tell you how my cholesterol would have reacted; This is where education becomes very important.

AllUp
09-08-2004, 12:09 PM
He also made it a point not to exercise, wasn't a really big guy to start with, and was probably eating over 5,000 calories a day.

Not to exercise AT ALL!, lol. You know your gonna get fat when you have McDonalds deliver 5k+ calories to your front door daily, and only expend calories thru the exercise you get from stuffing your face. That guy was nuts :/

RichLockyer
09-09-2004, 01:24 AM
well mcdonalds bulk would be bad, did ya see the guy who ate it for a month every day?

He was taking in over 6000 calories per day... double helpings of everything.
17 pounds in a month? 2200 calories a day over maint would do it.
His routine totally invalidated the point of the project, just as lab tests showing problems in rats with artificial sweeteners requires ingesting incredible amounts. Dammit... TAB cola used to taste AWESOME before they banned saccharin back in the 70s. Diet coke today sucks. Anyways...

Stuffing two double quarter-pounder with cheese and two SS orders of fries and two 44oz cokes into your face twice a day (after an equally heavy breakfast)... it's no wonder he got sick and was pushing liver failure. Just the sodium intake must have been enough to kill an elephant.

A better project would have been to eat there (even supersized) for a NORMAL three meals, as an average person might do, and study the results after a year... but that wouldn't work with today's "quick buck" attitude of attacking corporations.
Oh wait... I already did that project for 25 years and just didn't document the results. Bummer.

Hehe... my boss had a cholesterol test done last year and it came out to 380. The doctor freaked, put him on meds, but asked him to come back.
Turned out, he misunderstood the timing of the "do not eat after" instructions... since he knew he wouldn't be eating for a while, he capped the previous evening with a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 12oz filet... you know... the kind served sizzling in butter... with garlic mashed potatoes.
DOH! I can feel the blood moving in my veins after that meal!

BTW: He retested at 205 :)

shootermcgavin7
09-09-2004, 06:33 AM
I think a lot of people are under the misconception that if they eat only "clean foods" that they can technically over-eat and not gain any/minimal amount of fat.

While you can technically over-eat on "clean" foods, it is MUCH harder to do than overeating on an average sized fast-food meal at 2,000 calories apiece.

Try eating 20 cans of tuna and 5.5 lbs of grilled chicken (which is appx 6,000 calories) and tell me it isn't harder to fit all that in your stomach than eating breakfast at Burger King, lunch at McDonalds, and dinner at Taco Bell.

That's just an example of how dense fast food is, and how much saturated fat that it's dripping with just to fit that many calories in a tiny little McGriddle.

galileo
09-09-2004, 06:52 AM
I concur, shooter. I was trying to eat totally clean when I was bulking and I could barely eat enough. Once I hit a plateau, finding those extra calories was quite difficult.

mattburns
09-09-2004, 09:29 AM
I concur, shooter. I was trying to eat totally clean when I was bulking and I could barely eat enough. Once I hit a plateau, finding those extra calories was quite difficult.

what did you do to go past the plateu?

Manveet
09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
While you can technically over-eat on "clean" foods, it is MUCH harder to do than overeating on an average sized fast-food meal at 2,000 calories apiece.

Try eating 20 cans of tuna and 5.5 lbs of grilled chicken (which is appx 6,000 calories) and tell me it isn't harder to fit all that in your stomach than eating breakfast at Burger King, lunch at McDonalds, and dinner at Taco Bell.

That's just an example of how dense fast food is, and how much saturated fat that it's dripping with just to fit that many calories in a tiny little McGriddle.

True.

However, I had no problem over-eating on clean foods.

galileo
09-09-2004, 11:13 AM
what did you do to go past the plateu?

I was trying as hard as I could to avoid reverting to the fast-food method of getting calories, so I just added more fats. Olive oil, flax oil, natural peanut butter, walnuts. Whatever I could use at the moment for some variety. Out of all of them, olive oil was probably the best idea followed by the pb.

EviscerationX
09-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Some ppl just like to learn things the hard way. Besides IMO, ppl who know you are less likely to pay attention to your opnions, but they will listen and believe a complete stranger who might give them a pile of BS!! :soapbox:

Plenty of truth in the saying 'familiarity breeds contempt'.Yeah, I hear yuh.

I didn't even watch that SUPERSIZED movie, because even the preview made me want to vomit. Nasty stuff. I coulnd't imagine almost killing myself to prove a point.

ryuage
09-09-2004, 05:23 PM
yummm peanut butter

Zearoth
09-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I asked how Gatorade after the workout would be a good thing to do, as it replenishes carbs after an intense workout; would this be a good idea? Or should I go for something else? Thanks!

Zearoth
09-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Anyone?

SalahG
09-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I asked how Gatorade after the workout would be a good thing to do, as it replenishes carbs after an intense workout; would this be a good idea? Or should I go for something else? Thanks!
You'll need some whey with that gatorade, as long as your bulking, it should be no big deal. If you were cutting I'd say no to it, and go with dextrose mixed with whey instead.

To add, you don't need near those big 32 oz. bottles of gatorade to get enough sugar to replenish glycogen stores.

[[[----]]]
09-19-2004, 04:40 PM
How much PB a Day would be good if youre eating right and still not gaining weight? anyone? anyone?

Rex
09-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Peanut butter is really an amazing source of high quality calories. Between PB and Olive oil there's really no need for weight gainers.

Figure that two tablespoons of jiff yields 190 cals. All else being equal with your diet, two tbls a day seven days a week means you'll be consuming an additional 1400 cals a week... just from two tablespoons of pb. Four tbls give a day gives you 2800 additional cals a week. 3,500 cals = one pound of fat. Do the math and you'll start gaining in no time.

If your serious then consider counting your daily calorie intake.

Zearoth
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
To add, you don't need near those big 32 oz. bottles of gatorade to get enough sugar to replenish glycogen stores.

Yeah, I figured so, I went with the smallest bottles that sell; it contains 591ml which I assume is plenty.

[[[----]]]
09-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Cool cool Sounds good. Yeah i dont count my cals but i figure i eye out about the same amount of food everyday for each meal and im staying at a consistent weight. So ill try and throw in 2 tbsp. of PB a day i see how that goes.