PDA

View Full Version : maybe cold weather cardio is a bad idea

codei
10-28-2001, 11:30 PM
i just got in from the track.. i thought it was mid 40's but turns out its 39 degrees. i'd always heard people in track talking about cold weather running so i thought i'd go give it a try.. bad move. i did one warm up lap, so far so good, walked half of one, then set out to do a sprint lap. when i got done my lungs were just burning. walked another half lap, then another sprint. this one i couldnt even finish.. each deep breath was like a bunch of needles poking my lungs and i even had a faint taste of blood in my mouth. i guess ill be using the treadmill from now on, i only hope i didnt just give myself pneumonia or something.

Tazern
10-29-2001, 05:18 AM
Know what ya mean, it was a cold run for me saturday. The trick is to take it alot slower to start off. As your body/lungs get used to the cold it will be alot better. Of course being a canuck I acutally like the cold weather. Almost outdoor hockey time!

syntekz
10-29-2001, 06:28 AM
Just wait until there is snow on the ground. :D

I just cover my face with a scarf or whatever, that way I'm not directly breathing in the cold air. Helps a lot.

IceRgrrl
10-30-2001, 03:07 PM
I've run outside when it's 40 below...just wear a light scarf or even a bandanna over your mouth and you won't get that "cold air burn."

the doc
10-30-2001, 05:19 PM
39, cold?

what are you gonna do in a month?

Spiderman
10-31-2001, 12:02 PM
The dryness of the air in Winer really can hurt the lungs bro.. take their advice. Put somethin over your mouth, that way some moisture you breath OUT will end up comin back in when you inhale next.

Tadger
10-31-2001, 12:16 PM
Heh heh heh. You're a wuss. I love the cold... I hate runnin when it's warm out. I overheat so quickly. Playin hockey in Alaska against some little shithole town with an unheated rink when it's 30below... love it. I can sprint for forever without overheating which is usually my problem. IceRgrrl and Tazern know what I'm talkin about. As for the outdoor hockey... damnit. I really miss that... stupid Idaho. I haven't seen winter in Alaska for 3 years now... I'm goin nuts. Ever since I was little I'd always go to the outside rinks and just start a pickup game with the rinkrats out there... Everyone here goes out and plays football or b-ball or sumthin [shudder]. What's the deal?

nejar462
10-31-2001, 03:34 PM
I can see how this would be a problem, if, it was pre ice age, and clothes weren't invented, but nowadays you can throw on a coat, a hat, and you're good, don't run out their naked.

IceRgrrl
11-01-2001, 06:25 AM
I hear you, Tadger. I like to run, but hate doing it in warm weather...I overheat too easily too. But I love that cold rink and skating hard up and down the ice :)

I remember playing games in at a rink that was outdoors with just a roof over it (no walls). It was always bitter cold and when the wind whipped through there it took your breath away...

aikigreg
11-01-2001, 09:32 AM
OMFG I hate the cold. Moved to Texas to avoid it. Give me the heat when it's 105 out and I've sweat rolling down my face. It's take that over 39 degrees any day!:D

Tryska
11-01-2001, 09:33 AM
i'm with you man.....i don't think i can ever live north of the Mason-Dixon again.

aikigreg
11-01-2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
i'm with you man.....i don't think i can ever live north of the Mason-Dixon again.

That gets into the whole societal issue - don't get me started on that! Going home to visit the family in Kentucky is proof I love the south. But I hate rednecks, isn't that ironic? :D

Tryska
11-01-2001, 10:58 AM
*lol*

not really....if you had said your folks lived in west virginia and you hated rednecks..now that woulda been ironic.

"country roads...take me home...to the place i belong....west virginia... mountain mammas...take me home..country roads"

okay enough of that.

IceRgrrl
11-01-2001, 12:12 PM
And here I am looking forward to snow :)

Upstate NY doesn't get cold/snowy enough in my opinion...I can't wait to go home to nothern Michigan where the flakes are measured in feet!

Tryska
11-01-2001, 12:16 PM
ice...spend a winter in oswego....once you get a taste of that Ontario Lake Effect stuff, you might not miss Michigan that much..*lol*

Praetorian
11-01-2001, 12:44 PM
is that -30 Celcius or fahrenheit?

aikigreg
11-01-2001, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
And here I am looking forward to snow :)

Upstate NY doesn't get cold/snowy enough in my opinion...I can't wait to go home to nothern Michigan where the flakes are measured in feet!

When I was younger I vacation in the UP in July. I asked one of the locals why every single woman under 40 had a baby carriage or a snugli. He pointed at a telephone pole and said "Sometimes the snow is so high in winter we can't see those anymore. Ya gotta have SOMETHING to do."

He himself had 5 children. *shudder*:eek:

IceRgrrl
11-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by aikigreg

When I was younger I vacation in the UP in July. I asked one of the locals why every single woman under 40 had a baby carriage or a snugli. He pointed at a telephone pole and said "Sometimes the snow is so high in winter we can't see those anymore. Ya gotta have SOMETHING to do."

He himself had 5 children. *shudder*:eek:

Hey, nothing wrong with everyone's favorite indoor sport...

BUT...two simple words....BIRTH CONTROL! LOL!

Orange357
11-01-2001, 08:45 PM
Lmao!

Leviathan
11-03-2001, 01:36 PM
Why not run on an indoor track?

IceRgrrl
11-03-2001, 04:18 PM
Running indoors can be seriously boring...and unless the track is really big, the constant cornering can be tough on the joints/muscles. And if the track is on the small side, you can get dizzy after many, many laps :)

Plus there's always a group of housewives/old people/tourists walking on the track three or four abreast so you're constantly yelling "Track!" as you overtake them....;)

PrimeTime
11-04-2001, 07:30 AM
Running in colder temperatures is just not a problem for me for some reason, last Thurs night I went for a jog and it was -4 or -5 degrees celsius and it was one of my best jogs this year (no stiches, overheating, etc.)...The thing is you have to concentrate on your breathing more, if you are woofing for air with inconsistent breathing you are going to burn up your lungs or just have a killer stitch...If you make sure you inhale mainly through your nose and exhale through your mouth (the steam looks cool) in a consistent matter, it shouldn't matter if its 10 degrees or minus 10!