PDA

View Full Version : how much cardio is too much cardio?

T_Chapman
09-07-2004, 06:55 PM
would you say burning 500 cal a day on the treadmill is too much?

Shane
09-07-2004, 08:28 PM
No.

AstronautJones
09-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Cardio causes cancer.

No, 500 cals burned isn't too much, I would think.

T_Chapman
09-08-2004, 12:04 AM
thats good news. i dont want to lose that much muscle. i want to cut my bodyfat and do a cleaner bulk than my last one.

mike107
09-08-2004, 12:15 AM
500 calories a day on a treadmill shouldn't be TOO much. But depending on if you have a faster metabolism, it probably isn't necessary to do that much. Losing a lb. of fat is about equivelent to 3,500 calories. So, eating slightly below your maintenence calories, and burning like 300 calories a day on the treadmill should do it. If you are trying to lose fat, you shouldn't try to lose more than 1 lb/week (unless you are obese or have a high bf%), or you'll probably be losing some muscle too. So, 500/day probably isn't ideal. There's different things to factor in, but in general, you probably don't need to burn 500 calories/day doing cardio (unless you overeat or your metabolism is slow).

I don't really know how much fat you are trying to lose though; how much do you weigh, how high is your bf% you think?

J.C.
09-08-2004, 04:26 PM
You may want to think about it a different way. How far are you going in this amount of time? Are you improving? Do you feel fitter? It can be good to improve at cardio as well because this does help physique i.e. why athletes look like they do even though they don't lift weights all the time. 500 cals sounds fine unless you are really hardgaining - which I don't think you are, recalling previous posts.