PDA

View Full Version : Getting lean and bulking possible?

ryan-
09-07-2004, 10:10 PM
So I've been bulking for a couple of months now, put on some weight and made some great increases at the gym. But, the past few days I've noticed a gut coming on. This is a bit of a problem seeing as I have a honeymoon coming up at the end of October. I'd like to shave off some fat in that area, but I'm not quite where I want to be in weight. So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to shed some fat while still gaining muscle and lifting heavy, or do I just need to cut? I'm willing to run on my days off and cut back 500 calories a day. I'm currently eating about 4000 calories a day, mostly a clean bulk. I lift Mon, Tues and Thurs, Fri.

I'd like to get some advice and suggestions on what you guys think I should or could do.

Thanks,
ryan

Manveet
09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
It is very difficult to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You can always gain muscle and minimize fat gain, or lose fat and minimize muscle loss.

Your best bet is to try UD2 (Ultimate Diet 2.0) Search this site for more info, and also go here: www.bodyrecomposition.com

ryan-
09-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Well I guess I'd be content with some sort of cut here. Winter is coming again and I can bulk then. To be honest I'm getting a little burnt out on some of the foods I'm eating.

I think what I'd like to do is cut off a little weight, and maybe add some definition to my muscle. Does anybody have any recommendations on how many meals I should be eating. I'd prefer something like 4 meals a day; breakfast, lunch, dinner, PWO. I just don't see myself eating 6 meals a day and skipping lunch. I need lunch to get out of the office and socialize :) Right now I'm lifting heavy weights with low reps. I'd like to continue to increase strength but if it's not possible with adding definition then I'll live.

1. Is there a rule of thumb for calories/carbs/protein I should use?

2. How should I change my routine in the gym (low weight high reps)?

Current workout: (AtLarge Bulking workout)
Mon: Bench, Weighted Dips, French Curls, Squat, Calf Raises
Tue: BO Rows, BB Curls, Shoulder Presses
Wed: Off
Thur: Bench, Incline, French Curls, Dead Lifts, Calf Raises
Fri: Curl Grip Chins, Wide Grip Chins, DB Hammers, Shoulder Presses
Sat/Sun: Off

Manveet
09-08-2004, 12:25 PM
www.wannabebig.com Look for the article titled "A newbie's guide to getting lean" or something like that.

wrestlemaniac
09-08-2004, 03:48 PM
couldn't he say... pick a set amount of calories for bulking and just stay with it untill he started losing bodyfat?

toughguywannabe
09-08-2004, 04:21 PM
i think it might be possible to do both if ur very new to weight lifting but probably not anything noticable for example ur bench goes up 10 lbs. and u lose a 1/2 inch off ur waist.. the progress would eventually stop of course.. it would be way more efficient to put ur body in either a state of muscle growth or burning fat..

ryan-
09-08-2004, 06:19 PM
As I read I'm starting to realize that. I'm just not at a point where I want to start cutting and losing weight. But this gut is really bugging me. Maybe I'll decrease my calories by 500-1000 and do some running, but continue to lift heavy. Dunno, I'm torn :/