PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic food.

Adetweiler
09-08-2004, 08:59 AM
I have been trying for a month or so to find out some nutritional data on Ethnic foods. Specifically Indian Food, and even more specifically Saag. I love this stuff, but I am worried about how bad it is for me. Any info on Saag Paneer, Saag Choley, or Chicken Tikka Saag would be appreciated.

dissipate
09-08-2004, 09:10 AM
found a bit... not sure if they're what you're looking for

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipe?id.10599

http://www.bradford.tv/eatingout_takeawaycalorieguide.htm

http://www.trigs.com/cgi-bin/recipeCategory?category.183

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/indian_food.htm

AllUp
09-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Finding the recipe components of these foods and breaking them down on fitday.com is an option O_o

TheGimp
09-08-2004, 09:55 AM
mmm saag paneer :drooling:

Adetweiler
09-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I know right? I could eat that stuff until I burst. Its the only thing I regularly eat which goes off my diet. The sushi place closed in my town so now I have switched from Sushi to Saag.

Manveet
09-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Being of East Indian origin, I can safely say that our food sucks.

Gobear
09-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Indian food is as bad for weight-loss as it is delicious. For one thing, most recipes use clarified butter and/ or are fried in oil, like puri and pakoras. Many dishes contain a large amount of simple carbohydrates and lack sufficient protein to preserve muscle, or in the case of karhais and vindaloos contain protein along with excessive amounts of fat.

Your best bet is to stick to tandooris, which are baked in clay ovens with minimal fats involved in their preparation and raitas, which are vegetable/ yogurt salads

Adetweiler
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
WHat I have not been able to find is an accurate carb/fat/prot break down for lets just say Saag that includes serving size. I figure when I go I am getting two cups of Saag and 1 cup of white rice which I can check in fitday.

Mystic Eric
09-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Being of East Indian origin, I can safely say that our food sucks.

Sucks? What do you mean? In terms of taste, nutrition or maybe some other value judgement?

I personally love East Indian food because of its spices and aroma.

Adetweiler and others, it's ok to live a little. Just because you bodybuild as a hobby doesn't mean you must be a machine and just eat the same bland things every meal of everyday such as dry oats, tuna, cottage cheese etc.

If you're eating your Indian food at home, you can approximate the cals relatively closely with a scale and those sites provided.

Just remember though, just because some foods are a little "fattening", they can still be included into your diet as long as it is within the parameters of your caloric intake. Even if it isn't, it's fine to go over every once and a while. Remember, most of us do this as a hobby, and to worry about such trivial things that will hinder the enjoyment of life (such as enjoying foods in this case) is absurd.

Manveet
09-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Sucks? What do you mean? In terms of taste, nutrition or maybe some other value judgement?

I personally love East Indian food because of its spices and aroma.

Adetweiler and others, it's ok to live a little. Just because you bodybuild as a hobby doesn't mean you must be a machine and just eat the same bland things every meal of everyday such as dry oats, tuna, cottage cheese etc.

If you're eating your Indian food at home, you can approximate the cals relatively closely with a scale and those sites provided.

Just remember though, just because some foods are a little "fattening", they can still be included into your diet as long as it is within the parameters of your caloric intake. Even if it isn't, it's fine to go over every once and a while. Remember, most of us do this as a hobby, and to worry about such trivial things that will hinder the enjoyment of life (such as enjoying foods in this case) is absurd.

There's probably only one thing or two things that I enjoy in terms of taste, and those things are not healthy at all.

Nutritionally speaking, East Indian food is terrible. Low in protein, high in crappy carbs and bad fats.

Personally, I like the taste of my oats, eggs, chicken, milk etc.. That's why I eat stuff like that almost exclusively.

Adetweiler
09-09-2004, 12:03 PM
It was hard to resist going again today. I am going tomorrow for sure though. It's not fair my whole team at work are guys from India and they drag me along every day :) I guess if I only go 1 or 2 times per week, and keep it within my calories I should be ok.

VasDeferens
09-09-2004, 12:09 PM
one of the best cheat meals:

chicken tikka masala cooked in olive oil
tandoori chicken
wheat naan/roti with no butter
mint chutney
basmati rice

and mango lassi as PWO shake.

sweet.

Adetweiler
09-09-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm kind of like the dude from Forest Gump, I like Saag, I like Chicken Tikka Saag, I like Lamb Saag, I like Shrimp Saag, I like Saag Paneer, I like Saag Choley :) Chicken Tikka Masala is pretty good too though. The worst part is I get Roti and think "Hey its Whole Wheat!!" Nevermind that its covered in butter haha.

Do you know if there is any difference between basmati rice and short grain white rice? Thats what I use on Fitday.

ryuage
09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
filipino food rox! :thumbup:

KingDingaling
09-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi
i heard spicy foods like indian are good for speeding up matabolism. is this true?

donraja
09-09-2004, 07:45 PM
one of the best cheat meals:

chicken tikka masala cooked in olive oil
tandoori chicken
wheat naan/roti with no butter
mint chutney
basmati rice

and mango lassi as PWO shake.

sweet.

*Drroool*

Celikill180
09-09-2004, 09:40 PM
since im from bangladeshi decent i can pretty much assure u our food is probably fatty, alot of butter and oil, and yogurt is used

BulkMeUp
09-10-2004, 11:50 AM

It is big on taste and flavour, but as a food source for a bulk or cut, it may not be too good in excess as it would tend to contain some fat/oils, but that depends on the dish (and who cooked it). e.g. while there may be a fair amount of vegetable oil used. Chicken, for example, is always (as far as i have seen) cooked without the skin. resulting in a lot less sat fat in the dish. Also shortening/margarine is not widely used in recipies, but more vegetable oils and cuts of meat are generally lean.

Nutritionally speaking, East Indian food is terrible. Low in protein, high in crappy carbs and bad fats.
Not necessarrily. I cook my own meals and have total control over the quality of meats and fats going into it. Besides i get a daily dose of regular spices and condiments (ginger garlic) everyday. Stuff that is good for you.

I eat 1 meal everyday with this kind of food. Adds variety to oats, canned tuna, boiled potatoes...etc of the other meals that i eat.

Shiva Christ
09-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Indian food is as bad for weight-loss as it is delicious. For one thing, most recipes use clarified butter and/ or are fried in oil, like puri and pakoras. Many dishes contain a large amount of simple carbohydrates and lack sufficient protein to preserve muscle, or in the case of karhais and vindaloos contain protein along with excessive amounts of fat.

Which explains why they are all so thin :P

Adetweiler
09-11-2004, 09:33 AM
I asked the guys I work with about this, and they all said its because they dont eat like that except maybe 1-2 days a week max.

BulkMeUp
09-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I asked the guys I work with about this, and they all said its because they dont eat like that except maybe 1-2 days a week max.
Moderation is always the key. Also depends on where you get the food from. Most restraunts are not intrested in a customers health, they are more intrested in the taste of food to bring the customer back. And that goes for ANY type of food, IMO.

crazedwombat
09-13-2004, 01:13 PM
im just a little whitey and was used to chinese (real non americanized), but i started dating a nepalese girl and she cooks nepalese and indian dishes and i cant get enough of them...heheh its like a whole new world opened up...droooooooll

Adetweiler
09-13-2004, 01:20 PM
The only problem is when I eat them its American sized portions. I ate clean all day Saturday and Sunday, but both nights I had Saag.