PDA

View Full Version : V r wat v eet!!!

aescalapius
09-08-2004, 12:06 PM
:whazzup: :whazzup: Hi,

Gotta query.I have just realised(after reaching a plateau) that hey walla!!there is a relation between what goes into the body and what makes up the body ........

Well, i have done the neccessarty bits and given my stats of 5feet 11 inches with a weight of 185 pounds and 13 percent bodyfat. I have calculated that i need about 3000 calories to cut down on my body fat.

So, i have tried to formulate a good diet, one which will give me 40 percent protein , 40 percent carbs and 20 percent of fat. BUT

I cant seem to make sense of a few things.

a. i keep reading the food labels and take the case of brown bread for instance.It says 78 kcal per slice with 18 g of carbs, 3.3 grams of protein and 1.2 g of fat. Given that 1 g of protein and carbs os 4 kcal each and 1 g of fat is 9 kcal that means 18 * 4 + 3.3*4 + 1.2 * 9 = 96

HOw come ??? I have found this discrepancy in many food stuffs. HOw does one figure this in ???

Kiaran
09-08-2004, 01:47 PM
The food gnomes come in and steal the remaining calories... That is wierd. I'll have to pay attention to that. Perhaps there is some numbers that are rounded off, etc., making up the difference.

TheGimp
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Most likely some of those carbs are fibre which is indigestible, hence no calories. I doubt the slice contains the required 4.5g of fibre for it to make sense however.

ericg
09-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I cant give you a reason but I ahve noticed this. I just ignore the cal total and use the macros they list instead, then make my own cal total.

aescalapius
09-09-2004, 05:07 AM
I cant give you a reason but I ahve noticed this. I just ignore the cal total and use the macros they list instead, then make my own cal total.

That sounds likea good idea. But then it means i have been eating in all the wrong proportions. Still u have to admit it is interesting. Thanks.....

TheGimp
09-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Some other things to bear in mind

1) They will be creative with the numbers to make things look more favourable nutrition wise

2) Products will naturally vary quite a bit in the actual nutritional content

3) They don't spend a lot of time sending lots of samples to be tested

Conclusion: Don't worry about being too precise. Just eat in the region of the calories and macro ratios you stated.

ericg
09-09-2004, 08:14 AM
That sounds likea good idea. But then it means i have been eating in all the wrong proportions. Still u have to admit it is interesting. Thanks.....

I cant belive that it would throw you off that much. I am sure you will be fine.