PDA

View Full Version : My weightloss diet

Regenvelc
09-08-2004, 01:22 PM
I want to lose about 15 more pounds around my stomach and I just started a new diet. I wonder if you can show me where I can improve a bit to make it better.

11:30 - Protein Drink with Banana and 1 1/2 cup of Skim Milk(345 Cals, 50g carbs, 35g protein) - This is where I get most of my carbs for the day.
1:45 - Chicken Breast with a 1/2 cup of LowFat Cottage Cheese(250 Cals, 5g Carbs, 48g of Protein)
3:00 - 1 Largewhole Egg, 3/4 cup of Egg Beaters(160 Cals, 4g of Carbs, 24g of Protein)
5:30 - Slimfast Low Carb Shake(180 Cals, 4g of Carbs, 20g of Protein)
9:00 - Can of Tuna with 1/2 cup of LowFat Cottage Cheese(230 Cals, 4g of Carbs, 47g of Protein)
11:15 - Protein Drink with 1 cup of skim milk(196 Cals, 16g of Carbs, 30g of Protein)

That equals to around 1380 calories, 25g of fat, 83g of carbs, 204g of protein.

I sometime make wraps in there so I will have more carbs and such like that, but that is my basic diet. Anyone see any room for improvement?

I also run 3 days a week, and do basic bodyweight exercises another 3 days a week, because my Y membership didnt transfer to where I live now.

What ya all think?

Edit - I am 5'10.5 at 197 lbs with a 36 waist.

http://home.comcast.net/~xzachxclevengerx/Pictures/Me/Me3.jpg

sublime99
09-08-2004, 03:29 PM
That is too little food and/or calories to drop to all of the sudden your body will go into starvation mode. Try and bump the cals up to 2000 to 2500 of CLEAN FOOD and keep up with the exercise. Don't expect to loose more than 2 to 3 lbs a week it will come slow and some weeks you might not loose anything.

ryuage
09-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I too would bump the calories up a bit, unless you really reallly reallllllly have a slow metabolism... the most on a "traditional" whatever that means cutting diet I would cut is 1000 calories/day from my maintenance calories... then again the more moderate approach would be 250-500 calories insuring you keep as much lbm as possible. Personally I would add in additional fats, healthy fats and bump up the protein to about 1.5/lb if you still want to keep cals pretty low. Throwing in an occasional refeed the longer you diet and the leaner you get could help as well, assuming weight loss is slowing down or has come to a complete halt. Run a search, you'd be surprised how much information you can find about cutting on the boards. You might want to even take a look at one of last months articles by Patrick regarding "getting lean" and get to a gym!!!.... personally I think in terms of carbs it's all up to the person how low he wants to go, but taking in the majority breakfast and pre/post wo would be my suggestion if you don't handle carbs very well.

Mannequin
09-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Can someone link me to more information about the body's response in starvation mode?

Max-Mex
09-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Found this on the web. It's fairly much accurate info:

Here are some reasons why you should stay away from traditional calorie restrictive diets:

1. Calories restrictive diets make you lose muscle.

Ouch! Since your body is in starvation mode, it will draw itís energy from other sources such as muscle. Since muscle is an active tissue, the body is decreasing the amount of energy it expends by getting rid of it. This is something you definitely donít want.

2. Calorie restrictive diets increases the chance that you will gain the weight back.

Studies have shown time and time again that almost everyone who goes on a calorie restrictive diet gains the weight back. Once you start a calorie restrictive diet, you will initially lose weight but it never takes long before the body realizes whatís going on and catches on and starts to conserve energy.

3. Calorie restrictive diets slow down your metabolism.

Studies have shown that when calories are restricted, your metabolism decreases by 20% to 30%. This is the bodies response to the lack of food being consumed. By decreasing the amount of calories you consume, the body will adjust the amount work it does. When you eat less, the body burns less calories.

4. Calorie restrictive diets increase cravings and appetite.

Letís face it, the less you eat the more your body will crave food. If youíve ever been on a calorie restrictive diet, you know that the hunger pangs can drive you to eat everything in sight!

5. Calorie restrictive diets decreases your energy.

The body needs a certain amount of calories to use as energy. By severely restricting the amount of calories you ingest, you simply donít keep the bodies fuel tank filled. You will be unable to sustain high levels of activity of intense workouts.

If you want to lose those unwanted pounds of body fat, you need to give up on the concept of the traditional calorie restrictive diets. You will never lose weight and keep it off with low calorie diets. Remember, the definition of diet is any severe restriction of food or calories thatís temporary. Temporary dieting will only have temporary results. In order to lose unwanted pounds of body fat you will need to look at alternative ways.

Max-Mex
09-13-2004, 02:47 PM
FYI, I weigh as much as you do (you're a little taller) and I eat almost twice as much and still lose weight. I also have a slow metabolism (lot's more muscle now however). I generally eat between 2000-2600 cals a day. I started cutting back in June (weight was 218). I began with roughly 3000 cals back then and as I mentioned before, I am now down to 2000-2600 (current weight 199).

Going with 1300 will lead to failure, IMO. Just to little for a person your size. It seems you want quick gains but slower is better.