PDA

View Full Version : Clean & Press Question

Kiaran
09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Should there be a jump/hop in the Clean as the weight is pulled up? Also do I cushion the weight on my front delts as I come under it? Also do I use my legs to slow the weight down (by sinking into a squat) as I land it off the Clean onto the shoulder area? Last question is about where should my elbows be positioned relative to the bar as the Clean is completed (bar resting in the start of the Military Press)? I've seen some people with their upper arms parallel to the flow with the weight just dangling on their finger tips and resting on the front delts (I don't bend this way), and others seem to have the elbows pointed outward and some people have the elbows pointing straight down...which is right/most efficient?

BigRic
09-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Um it should land on your collar bone areajust below. but don't let it slam down there. After you pull it you want to kinda hop to move your feet a little and squat down quickly to catch it. you want your forearms to be parallel with your biceps i belive not have your elbows pointing out but straight ahead. thats about it.

johnnytang24
09-09-2004, 10:26 AM
The bar should land on the collar bone as you are sinking with your upper arms parallel to the ground. After you stand up, you can either move your elbows down into a military press position, or leave them. That is a matter of preference (debate).

As well, jumping is a matter of preference.

geoffgarcia
09-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Should there be a jump/hop in the Clean as the weight is pulled up?I was taught that the proper form for a clean involves using mostly legs/hips/azz to explode the weight up.
Your arms are there primarily to guide the weight. As such you need to explode it upwards which should cause a hop/jump and then as the weight continues upward you sink below it and catch it.

here is a look:
http://www.dolfzine.com/page568.htm

Adam
09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
I heard the same as geoff

PowerManDL
09-09-2004, 03:24 PM
The step by step looks fine until frame 4. He's leaning too far forwards at the full extension.

Other than that, it's just pull to full extension, squat, and stand up.

Maki Riddington
09-09-2004, 05:45 PM
From what I understand, in pic 4 he should be leaning back a lot more. Mainly due to the hips being thrusted forward.

Adam
09-10-2004, 03:20 AM
Could the fact that he had an empty barbell relate to him not leaning back more?

TheGimp
09-10-2004, 06:08 AM
um, in pic 4 he is not leaning forward at all? :confused:

PowerManDL
09-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Could the fact that he had an empty barbell relate to him not leaning back more?

Definitely. The form is very load dependent.

um, in pic 4 he is not leaning forward at all?

Compared to what he'd be doing with a heavier load, he's leaning forwards quite a bit.

chris mason
09-10-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree, it's just a function of the fact he is using a bare bar. If he was pulling some weight he would be leaning back more in figure 4.

Ford Prefect
09-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Definately have your elbows pointing straight forward when you catch it. If you have them in press position, you can smash your elbows on your knees while this heavy barbell is dropping on your wrists. Not very fun. I've seen some damage happen like that.

Other than that, I'd repeat what these guys said. Jumping as you reach full extension isn't necessary for everybody. If you look at the olympics, some people jump into their squat, and some people drop right from being on their toes. "Technically" speaking you should catch the bar in rock-bottom front squat position and not "ride the weight down" when doing a max lift. If you can pull high enough to ride the weight down, then chances are you can do more weight. It takes a bit for technique to catch up with strength though.