PDA

View Full Version : More important for mass- carbs or protein?

Mission
09-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I know a lot of guys follow the 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (including myself) deal, but my football and basketball coach say that carbs are more important for gaining mass.

I ask the question, because my stomach can only take so much. Often I'm confronted with the dilema of whether to have another piece of bread or another portion of cottage cheese.

Obviously you must have both, but what do you guys think is more important for mass?

EviscerationX
09-08-2004, 05:29 PM
They are both important. You won't get mass if you don't get protein, and carbs supply the energy for your workouts. My diet usually consists of 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat, and that's been working for me just fine. And I've never seen a bulky basketball player in my life. You need protein anyway for your body to perform normal cellular functions, and um...GROWING MORE MUSCLE!! Yeah...

Behemoth
09-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Doesn't matter. Get enough protein and then get an abundance of calories if you're looking to put on weight.

Mission
09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Never seen a bulky bball player?

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nba/2001/1222/photo/a_malone_i.jpg

http://www.bballone.com/alonzom/heat/images/heat1.jpg

http://www.slam.ca/RaptorsImages0102/feb2_raps1-ap.jpg

Anyway, I guess you could say I'm one of them. By being bigger, you can have a lot more dominance in the paint.

Manveet
09-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Obviously you must have both, but what do you guys think is more important for mass?

Calories and adequate protein.

EviscerationX
09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Ok...now I've seen a bulky BBall player...I just meant because of how tall they are that they have a disadvantage when it comes to being "mammoth"-ly huge.

Owen
09-09-2004, 04:53 AM
I have just started a diet to gain muscular weight. 3,000 calories a day. Broken up into percents that comes to: 18% protein, 41% carbs, and 41% healthy fats.
This comes from the book the Testosterone Advantage Plan by Lou Schuller. Its a nine week program, diet and weight lifting. I hope to gain one pound of muscle per week, and will be keeping a journal here.

-- my football and basketball coach say that carbs are more important for gaining mass--

Maybe they ment in percentage to protein.

I have found proper nutrition to be complicated to figure out. There seems to be alot of conflicting info out there...details upon details.
-Good luck :-)

TheGimp
09-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Muscle building is an energy intensive process and that energy is provided by carbohydrates - muscle glycogen.

Fat is also very important. The order of importance of macros is protein > fat > carbs. Carbs are the only non-essential macronutrient.

Get no less of 20% of calories from fat. This is important for healthy hormone production (e.g. testosterone).

gopher
09-10-2004, 04:17 AM
I agree with the protein and calorie crowd. Get in at least 1 gr of protein per pound of body weight and more calories than you burn and you will gain muscle.
I wouldn't call those BB player bulky. Toned yes, bulky no.