PDA

View Full Version : Close grip bencher

BigNic
09-10-2004, 10:27 AM
A buddy of mine was telling me that he read something about a powerlifter who used a very close grip while ding the bench. So close that it was a close grip bench press. I was just curious if anyoneh as heard of this guy?

phreak
09-10-2004, 11:38 AM
A buddy of mine was telling me that he read something about a powerlifter who used a very close grip while ding the bench. So close that it was a close grip bench press. I was just curious if anyoneh as heard of this guy?
He's not THAT exceptional. I have to do the same after tearing my pec. But someone stronger who's done it: Neil Confessore (Chris' brother).

SL-Dubbs
09-10-2004, 08:32 PM
I may be mistaken, but dont most feds require at least pinkies on the power rings?

Adam
09-11-2004, 03:16 AM
your mistaken
Not sure what the closest grip allowed is but i use pointer finger touching the smooth in meets.

bill
09-11-2004, 07:05 AM
your mistaken
Not sure what the closest grip allowed is but i use pointer finger touching the smooth in meets.
Wow Adam thats close can you actually do more wt. there? I suppose you've tried going wider.

Adam
09-11-2004, 01:22 PM
I use that grip at meets when i dont wear a bench shirt. RAW i can do more with a closegrip but with the shirt im stronger out wider.

phreak
09-13-2004, 06:38 AM
such a grip isn't exceptional. I use the same grip for doing reps. At or near max I go about 2" outside the smooth part. Haven't benched in a shirt in almost a decade, but would probably also lift more with a wide grip then, especially as my triceps are always the weak link.

emjlr3
09-14-2004, 10:06 AM
id like to try that out sometime but im worried about wasting a chest week trying to try new ways to grip, right now i grip with my ring finger around the two rings and that takes like all the pressure off my shoulders when i bring it down to the lowest part of my chest bone. My lift partner also holds closer, although not that close, because he heard it helps you put up more weight as well.

Im just afaraid of my triceps not being able to keep up with my chest that way, although they are pretty stong to being with. Decisions, decisions......

bill
09-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Emjlr3 why not just finish with some close grips?

emjlr3
09-14-2004, 06:53 PM
o wel ldi bench day today, my freind tried my style off his old closer grip and made improvemnts, i think ill stick to the way ive been donig things, 15lb rep improvment in the past month!! go me!!

galileo
09-20-2004, 01:35 PM
I am far stronger with a close-grip and it feels more comfortable. I used this grip for a lot time until I decided my chest needed some extra attention.