PDA

View Full Version : Cutting: Where to now?

Turqy
09-11-2004, 01:29 PM
This is my second attempt at cutting and I've hit my usual road block. At 8 weeks in I've stopped losing weight. So I'm trying to figure out what direction to go in now.

I'm 5'10 at 183 lbs with a 32 inch waist. When I started I was 190 lbs. I've slowly lowered my cals from 2600 to 2200-2300 which is where I am at currently. Should I raise my cals to 2500-2600 for a couple of weeks and then slowly cut them or should attempt to lower my cals beyond 2200? I've tried refeeds but they dont seem to help much other than my sanity.

I should probably give some insight as to what my daily activities are like to help with suggestions. Most of my day is spent at a desk job. Usually thats 8-10 hours a day. When I get home I either work out or do cardio for 30-40 minutes. Twice a week I do indoor climbing for 2 hours.

I've read that its fairly common to stop losing weight after 6-8 weeks on a cut and that going back to maintenance cals for a little while will help restart the weight loss period.

My goal is to get to 175 in less than 2 months.

carlossalsa8
09-11-2004, 02:37 PM
My advice is to do more cardio. It will help a lot. Try adding more cals and adding more cardio for a while. Then, drop the cals a bit and keep the cardio stable. Also, try doing HITT. It all depends of how hard you train. A friend of mine wanted to lose weight. He started to do cardio for 20 minutes everyday and started to eat better. Weight came out but not as fast as it was expected. I told him to add 20 minutes more to his cardio routine combined with HITT ( both at the same time ) Weight just flew off. My point is that if refeeds don't work and weight does not decrease then try working out a bit harder it might help.

Turqy
09-11-2004, 05:29 PM
I wish I could actually run more than I do right now since I really enjoy it. The problem is that I run about 4 times a week as it is. Usually its for about 40 minutes and its really hard on my joints to try to run 5 to 6 days a week.

Though I definitely think I should eat more for a little while since I think that dropping cals may not have an effect.

Max-Mex
09-11-2004, 06:17 PM
This is my second attempt at cutting and I've hit my usual road block. At 8 weeks in I've stopped losing weight. So I'm trying to figure out what direction to go in now.

I'm 5'10 at 183 lbs with a 32 inch waist. When I started I was 190 lbs. I've slowly lowered my cals from 2600 to 2200-2300 which is where I am at currently. Should I raise my cals to 2500-2600 for a couple of weeks and then slowly cut them or should attempt to lower my cals beyond 2200? I've tried refeeds but they dont seem to help much other than my sanity.

I should probably give some insight as to what my daily activities are like to help with suggestions. Most of my day is spent at a desk job. Usually thats 8-10 hours a day. When I get home I either work out or do cardio for 30-40 minutes. Twice a week I do indoor climbing for 2 hours.

I've read that its fairly common to stop losing weight after 6-8 weeks on a cut and that going back to maintenance cals for a little while will help restart the weight loss period.

My goal is to get to 175 in less than 2 months.

How long have you NOT been losing weight? 1 week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? What kind of workouts? What kind of cardio?

Turqy
09-11-2004, 06:44 PM
How long have you NOT been losing weight? 1 week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? What kind of workouts? What kind of cardio?

Its been about 3 weeks since my weight stopped dropping.

I jog for 30-40 minutes 4 times a week.
I workout for an hour two times a week as well. This usually consists of bench press, lunges and various leg work outs. I try to work out the muscle groups that arent being worked out as much during climbing. The indoor climbing is really intense. I usually do it for about 2 hours twice a week.

Max-Mex
09-12-2004, 04:18 AM
Well, two things you can try. One, as you mentioned before, try increasing calories, but only for 1 day. It's possible you body thinks it's starving, which it could be considering the amount of exercise you do. The other thing you can try is high protien/lowcarb for a week. The only problem with this is that the meals can get boring but you should see some results after one week. I've tried this before and it has worked everytime. Try to eat either chicken or lean beef, and broccoli. Make sure you get some good fats in there (either with oil caps, or olive oil).

Turqy
09-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks! I just did a major refeed yesterday so we'll see how this works. Before with my refeeds I dont think I was getting enough calories. Yesterday I managed to get almost 4k.

If I dont notice a difference with this refeed I'll try the high protein/lowcarb for a week.