PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with protein daily intake requirements

Aoeteroa
09-13-2004, 08:52 AM
I've been training pretty much full-time for the last 5 years. Im 6"4 and weigh between 230-240 pounds with 15% BF. I've made pretty good gains but I feel I should have made better gains over this time. I think the problem I have is trying to meet my daily protein needs. I mean im finding it very hard to consume 1.5 grams of protein for my bodyweight. I'm out of ideas for eating protein!

Heres a pretty average day for me eating wise:

Breakfest - 8 egg whites, bowl of oats
Lunch - Can of Tuna,Rice/Pasta/Turkey - all mixed together in a sauce
Mid Afternoon - Whey protein shake
Dinner - Usually Fish,veges or Chicken stir fry with veges
Before bed - Protein shake/cup of oates

Thats pretty much what im going through everyday, to be honest, I dont think its enough. I know I should be eating something between breakest and lunch, also maybe add more to my meals. Im training for size right now, I'd like to get up to around 250 pounds if possible but Im outta ideas for other foods to eat. Anyone suggest another meal/snack I could incorporate into my diet. Also anyone have advice regarding my diet ie. Is it enough?, whats wrong with it?, etc.

Appreciate it fellas

Cheers

Max-Mex
09-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Do you actually track the amount of protien for each meal? Do you even track the total amount of calories for the day? Go to Fitday.com and setup an account (it's free). Enter your foods and you'll see how much of what your getting.

Aoeteroa
09-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Cheers Max-mex,

Thats a great website. It showed that I was right and im def not consuming enough protein. Adding up my daily diet I was around 275 grams of protein per day which is about 70 grams short for what I need to be consuming.

Any ideas on another meal I could eat somewhere in the day?. Im kinda outta ideas with what else I can eat.

ryuage
09-13-2004, 09:45 AM
70 grams short based on what?

Aoeteroa
09-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Based on the amount of protein I should be consuming - 1.5 x bodyweight = around 340 grams per day. I either need to incorporate larger portions in my meals or try and add a couple of snacks throught the day to up the ante of protein.

Shadowless
09-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Aoeteroa, just curious of who says you need that much protein in your body?

Also here's some advice, eat 6 times a day. I don't mean full meals but try to consume 6 meals a day with 40 grams of protein in each meal. I honestly don't think you need 1.5 grams of protein per pound. Since you are pretty big guy 40 grams of protein should be alot easier to consume for then it would be for me.

Paul Stagg
09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
270g is probably plenty.

If you really want to eat more, I'd add a couple servings of a protein powder - downing a couple of water based protein drinks with a couple of meals will be easier than finding more meat to cram in your face.

EviscerationX
09-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Where'd you get 1.5 from? It's actually about .8 g of protein per one pound of body weight, and most bodybuilders I've seen do about 1 gram or a little more, but not 1.5. I think you're getting plenty of protein, my friend :D

And like Paul said, if you really need to get more protein, take more servings of protein powder...

Aoeteroa
09-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Dunno fellas. I think that's not enough.

Some of you might have seen

this site (http://www.ast-ss.com/asp/nutritional-req.asp)

Im after lean muscle and they recommend around 440 grams of protein a day.

.8 grams of protein doesnt seem enough. I dont know, maybe you guys are right. I'll browse around the net and see what I can find

Paul Stagg
09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't use that site as your only resource.

Ask yourself: "What are they trying to sell to me?"

Aoeteroa
09-14-2004, 07:44 AM
IM not worried about their supplements and so on. They are actually quite good though. They usually back up their studies and articles unlike alot of other supplement companies.

I'm sure I've read that its 1.5 grams of protein x your bodyweight. For me, 270 grams of protein doesnt seem enough. I'll keep researching

Max-Mex
09-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Dunno fellas. I think that's not enough.

Some of you might have seen

this site (http://www.ast-ss.com/asp/nutritional-req.asp)

Im after lean muscle and they recommend around 440 grams of protein a day.

.8 grams of protein doesnt seem enough. I dont know, maybe you guys are right. I'll browse around the net and see what I can find

It' hard to take seriously a site like that. They sell nutrition products. I also wouldn't take to heart most of the articles and studies they have because again, they are trying to sell their product. Even though WBB has banners for At Large Nutrition, nobody here is trying to sell you anything (ofcourse, they would like it if you bought ALN products). :D

Obciously you are a big guy and your protien intake should be higher than most, but 440 is overkill IMO. Try for at least 1gram/lb of bodyweight.

sublime99
09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
I weigh 270 and i eat around 240 to 280 a day and i still have no problem gaining. I am going on a cut and will still consume that or more of protein a day but .0 or 1 gram per lbs of LEAN body mass you want to gain. If you have alot of gas you are eating to much protein and your body is not processing it, i eat just enough to have a little gas.

Aspect
09-15-2004, 02:35 AM

I'm sure I've read that its 1.5 grams of protein x your bodyweight. For me, 270 grams of protein doesnt seem enough. I'll keep researching

You probably have read that; however, it will have been 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight, not per pound.

There is lots and lots and lots of research to show that consuming more than this isn't beneficial (though it isn't harmful either). There's no research I'm aware of to show that consuming larger amounts helps.

Eat more protein if you like, but I imagine you'd get better results simply be focusing on increasing your caloric intake. And from the diet you posted up top, probably increasing the amount of fat you eat...

Aoeteroa
09-17-2004, 08:08 AM
You probably have read that; however, it will have been 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight, not per pound.

There is lots and lots and lots of research to show that consuming more than this isn't beneficial (though it isn't harmful either). There's no research I'm aware of to show that consuming larger amounts helps.

Eat more protein if you like, but I imagine you'd get better results simply be focusing on increasing your caloric intake. And from the diet you posted up top, probably increasing the amount of fat you eat...

Cheers Aspect, thats where I was getting confused, kilograms instead of pounds.

Well it does seem like Im getting a decent amount of protein, actually I've just added cottage cheese and a shake to go with my eggs and oats for brekfast, thats bumped up my daily protein intake to 305 grams which is pretty good.

Yeah I'll eat more fats as well, im lacking a bit there

mixta
09-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Kia Ora Aoeteroa,

Perhaps eating some peanut butter might bump up the protein as well? According to Fitday.com 1 tablespoon is worth about 4 grams of protein.