PDA

View Full Version : The College Cutting Diet

Mannequin
09-14-2004, 10:04 AM
As the title may have hinted, I am in college right now. Needless to say I am a little strapped for cash. Lately, I have been living on tuna and protein shakes, but this doesn't give me near the caloric intake i need a day. I fulfill my protein and fat requirements but that is about it. Is this enough for a proper cut? How did you guys get through it? Suggestions?

galileo
09-14-2004, 10:20 AM
If you have a meal plan, they should have some sort of buffet or at least some variety there. If not, go for a CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet).

Mannequin
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
No meal plan for me. I am on the "off campus diet" as it were. All I have found on CKD was just eating <20g carbs Mon-Fri and all the carbs you want on weekends. Can it be that easy?

galileo
09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Almost that easy. You still need to make sure you're within the proper deficit range (-500 a day, perhaps) for the week and that the weekends contain a minimal amount of fat (15% of total diet).

Mannequin
09-14-2004, 10:51 AM
So if I weighed 198, would I eat 2400 cals a day of protein/fat on weekdays and 2400 cals of protein and carbs on weekends? Hi GI carbs? I am sorry for the nitpicky nature of my questions. I don't want to do this wrong.

shootermcgavin7
09-14-2004, 11:55 AM
You've got to up your calories on the weekend...

galileo
09-14-2004, 01:28 PM
I would recommend you search around for a detailed description of the ketogenic diets. There's bound to be an article somewhere and I'd imagine it would be more comprehensive than what I could type in a few lines here.

Mannequin
09-14-2004, 06:40 PM
I read this article and i have a few questions for those in the know:
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=45

Does this only call for 2-3 days strength training?
Any suggestions on how one might ingest 75% fat? That seems real high especially since I am already taking in walnut oil, peanut butter, fish oil. Can you help me set up a template for someone at 198lbs or lemme know where I can find said info? I will keep looking on the forums but I havent found anything as of yet

galileo
09-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Alright, I'll give you some sort of template.

Let's say...
2400 kcals
178g fat
0g carbs (close to 0, try to keep it under 20-30g)
198g protein

Fats: Hard cheeses, fish oil (6-8g max), natural peanut butter, some saturates are ok but limit them, olive oil is a biggie, nuts, etc.
Carbs: broccoli or other fibrous vegetable that won't have an impact. Psyllium husk powder.
Protein: Lean meats, hard cheeses, tuna, turkey (i love turkey bacon for this), etc.

I can get 178g of fat pretty easy with nuts and oils. 1/2 cup of almonds = 36g fat.1/2 cup walnuts = 39g fat. 2 TBSP of Natural Peanut Butter = 16g. 3oz of real cheddar = 28g. It adds up pretty quick, especially when you're using these items to dress up food.

I have a recipe for low-carb protein bars somewhere...I'd need to dig it up. I modified it from another recipe a while back. They taste awesome and I think they're 70g fat if I recall.

I attached a few recipes I saved from a newsgroup a long time ago. Perhaps some will be of use to you. I just found the lowcarb bar recipe too. Add peanut butter for more fat!

Good luck.

Mannequin
09-14-2004, 08:22 PM
kick ass thanks alot galileo, i shall do my best