PDA

View Full Version : Can't hit my calorie intake...

Beavereater
09-14-2004, 12:27 PM
I eat plenty, eat healthy...but by the end of the day after putting it all in fitday.com...I get something like 1300 calories a day. Mostly protein...and I know that can't be healthy, so should I be looking at taking some kind of empty calorie supplement?? Any ideas...

On a sidenote, I wanna do cardio at home since all the machines at the gym are busy when I get there. I am trying jogging, but lifting so much, I can only do 20 minutes, 60 percent job, the other 40 percent hard walking...this is at first. BUT...as gay as it may sound...is there some kind of cardio video that I can do in my own home that is recommended. OR are those no good at all??

Max-Mex
09-14-2004, 12:29 PM
1300 is not plenty. Nowhere near plenty. That's maybe half of plenty. What exactly are you eating to only get 1300 cals?

Jasonl
09-14-2004, 12:29 PM
If you're getting 1300 cals a day you're not eating plenty and there is no supplement that will fix that. You just need to eat more.

Beavereater
09-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Here is what I eat...please take into account that I live in Japan and can't get a lot of what I used to back in Canada:

Morning: 2 slices Rye bread, Amino drink (It's healthy like 7cals per 100 ml)
Lunch: 1 cup of rice, 300grams of tuna boiled and dried, 2 cups of lettuce, salsa on the lettuce.
Lunch2: same as before, but instead of the tuna, I eat boiled chicken breast, no bone, no skin.
dinner: 1 raw carrots, 2 raw cucumber, 1 cup cabbage with 0 cal non-oil dressing, boiled chicken, 160g of tofu.
dinner2 after work out or cardio: Protien drink (it's Japanese, but low on everything except the protien) 80g tofu and a small serving of raw fish (Salmon, tuna, bonito, yellow tail...you name it)

By the time I get to the dinner2: I am almost exploding full. I may have said before that I think most of my fat came from eating HIGH fat foods before. Now I don't...so eating this much is making me full but I can't hit my 2500 mark without sacrificing something like eating a steak or something. Any tips??

Aspect
09-15-2004, 02:48 AM
Eat some fat!!! Seriously, you're focussing too much on eating low-fat. Your body absolutely needs fat to function, and you're starving it of a vital nutrient. Eating fat isn't "sacrificing something"; it's eating a balanced, healthy diet!

Start using olive oil on your salads; eat oily fish sometimes; drink milk if you like it. You're wise to avoid too much fatty food, and particular processed, saturated- or hydrogenated-fat-laden foods, but you need to add some healthful oils to your diet.

You could also drink fruit juices in place of some of your water, snack on dried fruits or nuts, and possibly cut out some of your salad (e.g. lettuce) in place of either denser veg. or more rice in order to get some extra calories.

Don't try to eat a lot more all at once. Add a little food, maybe 200cals worth, and try that for a week or two. Let your body adapt to the extra food. Then add a couple hundred extra calories and adapt to that. It will take a little time, but you'll get used to eating more.

Beavereater
09-15-2004, 03:22 AM
OK...so is there a percentage or grams of fat I shouldn't go over?? I posted in another thread that I wasn't sure which it was. As for fat, would adding cheese be cool, or is that the bad fat that I don't need. OK...well, I will try out what you said and see if I can hit my calorie target.

ryuage
09-15-2004, 05:43 AM
you could use some olive oil for dressing, use some high fatty fish like salmon, cod, etc... throw in some nuts whatever really its not hard just eat.

mattburns
09-15-2004, 09:45 AM
1300 is low i probably have that much for my breakfast some days.

the advice already given is best like, just eat it will soon add up.

sublime99
09-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Try this

Morning 5 egg whites 3 whole eggs 4oz of chicken 1 slice whole wheat toast 8oz of milk and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.

snack can o tuna 6.5 oz

lunch 8oz chicken 1 cup of rice 1/2 cup cottage cheese 8oz milk

snack shake with natural pb and aminos if you want

dinner 12 oz chicken 1 cup rice 1/2 cup black beans or red kidney beans 1/2 cup cottage cheese 8oz milk and 1 cup ice cream all natural for dessert.

Eat up!

Oh and the cardio you have to push yourself try doing HIIT (high intensity interval training)

mattburns
09-15-2004, 10:28 AM
i wish i could afford that much chicken lol

sublime99
09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Lmao i eat like a lb and half to 2 lbs a day 32 oz MMMMMMMM mmmmmmm MMMMMM. chicken salad, chicken sandwich, grilled chicken, chicken gumbo, chicken casserole you get the picture

AllUp
09-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Or resort to fatty or dairy, as its mostly high in cals. shoot, make a triple decker PB sandwich on WW, or a triple decker grilled chz (no butter) on WW. :D

If its an emergency, and I realize I'm gonna be short some cals, I resort to the above as a fix.

Aspect
09-16-2004, 06:34 AM
OK...so is there a percentage or grams of fat I shouldn't go over?? I posted in another thread that I wasn't sure which it was. As for fat, would adding cheese be cool, or is that the bad fat that I don't need. OK...well, I will try out what you said and see if I can hit my calorie target.

Sure you could add some cheese - it's more calories, and something you need. However, don't look to cheese for all, or even most of, your fat. THings like olive oil, flax oil, hemp oil, fish oil, nuts, and seeds should give you most of the fat you add to your current diet.

As for how much to add - well, I'd say eat a minimum of 10g of those healthful fats per day. Even dressing your salad with olive oil would be a great start (though even better would be to do this but also take some fish or flax oil, or eat some oily fish). Beyond that, you could essentially add a lot more. Eating fat in itself won't make you fat, and by eating predominantly healthful fats you won't be harming your health. As I suggested earlier, start by adding a little fat, and if you need to and want to, gradually add more. If your goal is to add lean mass then you simply add calories in this gradual manner until you're slowly gaining; where the calories come from matters less than how many you eat, so long as you're eating enough protein (which you are).

ryuage
09-16-2004, 07:16 AM
on another note, go to jamba juice and order a large of their peanut butter moo'd shake a good 1000+ calories and it tastes damn good.

Max-Mex
09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Ah jesus those jamba shakes are good. So many goddamn calories!

Gizotch
09-16-2004, 09:00 AM
on another note, go to jamba juice and order a large of their peanut butter moo'd shake a good 1000+ calories and it tastes damn good.

haha thats my post workout shake , theres one right next to my gym , i order with two protein boosts

Beavereater
09-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Aspect ,

I am trying to lose weight, and use the weight I have to my advantage in gaining muscle (If that's possible) I weigh 304lbs. I was only eating about 2500 to 3000 cals per day, but I realized that my fat percentage was super high. Then, I went on a diet and found thought that I was only allowed 30 or 35grams per day (Now I know its 30 percent)...which was pretty hard to do. Now I know, thank you. However, if I wanna lose weight and gain muslce, is what I am eating OK...

source grams cals %total
Total: 2321
Fat: 59 532 23%
Sat: 20 184 8%
Poly: 6 56 2%
Mono: 16 148 7%
Carbs: 239 909 40%
Fiber: 12 0 0%
Protein: 207 827 36%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

I eat a lot of chicken, boiled or broiled no bone, no skin. It's super cheap here in Japan. 2 large chicken breasts for about 2 dollars or less. The cheapest meat available.

Aspect
09-16-2004, 01:48 PM
That looks like a pretty good breakdown of macros. You're eating plenty of protein, and 59g of fat looks decent enough (less saturated would be better, but it's no big deal as you're only eating 1/3 of your fat as saturates; likewise a little more fibre would be better, but nothing to sweat about). And 2300 calories is a lot better than 1300.

If you're 304lbs, I'd imagine you'll get a good rate of weight loss from 2300 calories. However, everyone is different; I'd suggest trying this intake for a decent length of time (3 or 4 weeks), and see what your weight does. If you lose over this period, great - just stick at it. If not, then post back and we'll take another look - but I'd be surprised if you don't lose at least a pound per week, probably more.

I'm sure you know it's very difficult to gain muscle while losing fat. If I were you, I'd concentrate on the fat loss first, and stick at that for a good while; once you're down to a reasonable weight, you can try to gradually add lean mass. However, you absolutely should still lift weights while you're losing fat in order to maintain what muscle you have.

As for cardio at home, I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations. There's certainly nothing wrong with doing cardio at home though; what matters is that you get exercise, not where you do it.