PDA

View Full Version : Cardio question...

Beavereater
09-14-2004, 11:06 PM
I do cardio outside of the gym...why is not important, but if what I am doing is stupid, then I would like to know

Last night I made my first attempt at jogging (Holy f"#$ I was surprised) About 15 seconds into it I was already breathing heavy (I'm 304lbs). Anyway, I figured I could do at least 20 minutes. But I could only do it on and off...I would jog until I couldn't jog, then briskly walk for a few seconds, then start up again. NOW, is this a waste of my time?? Could I be doing something better...my heart is pumping, I am sweating like a mofo...and (this might sound wierd) but when I pause the jog, and do the brisk walk, I get an almost euphoric feeling in the back sides of my head (Blood rush maybe) not feeling bad or dizzy. Is this a problem??

Anyway, I also want to do something in the house. And I asked this before and it never got answered, but until I can keep up with a good jog, would a cardio VIDEO be useful to me? If so, can someone recommend one to me?

Until I get this gut down to a reasonable size, I have problems with the jogging, and my back ache a little. SO, that's why I am asking.

Sorry for the long post!!

HobbesAB
09-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Just keep at it and it will get better. You can try to focus more on the walking part right now and build up to more jogging. Get a heart rate monitor to help monitor your progress. You can also try mixing up your cardio to spare your knees and back. I like using an elliptical and/or stationary bike.

As far as a cardio video, well, to each their own. If you like it, then do it.

Beavereater
09-15-2004, 03:30 AM
As far as a cardio video, well, to each their own. If you like it, then do it.

That's what I am wondering...is there something out there that is exceptionally good...or bad?? Something I can do at home...

HobbesAB
09-15-2004, 03:42 AM
I have a couple of friends who swear by Billy Blanks and Tae Bo.

He has a DVD out there called Billy Blank's Tae Bo Cardio that is geared for beginners. You can find it on Amazon for $12 for the VHS version and $18 for the DVD

Aoeteroa
09-15-2004, 04:48 AM
Beavereater - Bro keep at it man, it'll get better each time you go for a jog if you do it 3 times a week and you keep your diet in check.

Forget this in house cardio sh*t, nothing like a good ole run outdoors.

Are you worried about people taking the p*ss outta you when your running? - f**k them man, keep at it and you'll turn that flab into muscle, hard work bro!.

Organichu
09-15-2004, 12:22 PM
I remember jogging at 270.. I almost considered getting a sports bra, haha. It was pretty humiliating, but now I look better than the people that laughed at me. Joy for sequential progression.

crazedwombat
09-15-2004, 05:29 PM
i was 215 when i started running, i was a whippped little b!tch for a while. after 2 weeks i noticed the improvement and it only got better, it sounds about right but you're just out of shape...keep going man

Beavereater
09-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the support. Nah...I am definitely not afraid of what people might say. I have to jog at night, around 11.30pm or 12.00am...and although its safe here in Japan (Especially since I outsize everyone) I have no worries about jogging. I just hate NOT being able to keep up with the run.

Second, if I had a DVD I would be able to do the cardio at work as well. Going for a run, I couldn't do because I can't LEAVE my office. SO...I figure I can get some cardio at work as well, in the morning, afternoon, evening...whenever. AND once the weight around my waiste is down a little and I can handle a jog more, I will go. Friends always ask to go with me, and I go when I can, but my work doesn't allow me to get outta the office until 9 or 10pm...then its off to the gym where I only have enough time for muscle training because I get there an hour or at most 2 hours before they close. SO, I figure, what I can do at the gym and not at home, I will do...the rest I can do at home.

So...Tae Bo...any other suggestions???

crazedwombat
09-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Tae bo is ok, there's lots of ways without a lot of room, get a jump rope, jump roping burns 600+ cal an hour unweighted. its cheap and the way to build up try it