PDA

View Full Version : 100g Of Cheddar Cheese A Day ... Good Or Bad?

Scorpion
09-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Guys ...

I needed some extra bit of Protein in my diet and i was eating some Cheddar cheese today when i looked at the protein content.

Below is the nutritional content for a 500gram pack of Cheddar Cheese:

Nutrition PER 100G per serving
Energy (kJ) 1699.50kj 509.85kj
Energy (kcal) 410.00kcal 123.00kcal
Protein 25.00g 7.50g
Available Carbohydrate 0.10g 0.03g
of which - Sugars 0.10g 0.03g
Total Fat 34.40g 10.31g
of which - Saturates 21.70g 6.50g
of which - Mono-unsaturates 9.40g 2.82g
of which - Polyunsaturates 1.40g 0.41g
of which Trans Fatty Acids 2.30g 0.68g
Cholesterol (mg) 99.99mg 29.99mg
Sodium 0.67g 0.20g

If i was to have 100grams of Cheddar cheese per day so i can get a nice 25grams of Protein and 410 extra calories for my bulking, would that be good or bad?

By this i mean, it says it has 21grams of Saturated Fat per 100grams, that doesn't sound too healthy right?

I weigh 100pounds, i know thats disgusting, but im trying to bulk now with the right clean foods and lots of them and keep my diet high in protein etc. Could somebody advise me on this and if i should eat extra cheese in my diet for that little extra bit of protein?

Thanks in advance :)

Manveet
09-17-2004, 07:24 PM
A lot better choices out there for protein. Why not try some cottage cheese instead?

Brokensword
09-17-2004, 11:59 PM
bad.

Too much saturated fat in so much solid cheese.

If you really want that extra little bit of protein, get cozy with Tuna cans. A regular sized can has 30 grams of good clean protein and you get your fish oils that way too.

gmanea
09-18-2004, 02:29 AM
bad.
My GF warns me against it all the time, shes a naturopath so I listen to her and don't eat too much cheddar (or tasty) cheese.

Brewtality
09-18-2004, 02:33 AM
If I was going to eat cheese I would eat cottage cheese. It tastes like crap and looks disgusting but it's worth it.

gmanea
09-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Cottage cheese is most ideal if you are taking it late as night as it is slower digesting and will release the amino acids more slowly into your bloodstream throughout the night and minimise catabolic state compared to having a WPI shake or something before bed. I personally don't eat much cottage cheese, instead I have a good 35-40g shake of Calcium Caseinate (CC) last thing at night before bed... but there are a few tricks to drinking it if you are going to :)

TheGimp
09-18-2004, 03:54 AM
It's fine. You're 100 lbs and you need to eat calorie dense foods. Full fat cheese is one of these. Saturated fat is not as bad as people make out; the problem occurs when it replaces other sources of fat in the diet such as essential fatty acids.

Scorpion
09-18-2004, 05:10 AM
I do have all of my EFA's, i regularly have Olive Oil and Flax Seed Oil, not in capsule form either, in a teaspoon, morning and evening.

Brokensword: Im vegetarian :) Its tempting to eat meat at times to get extra protein, but i need to stick to my veggie stuff.

Calcium Casienate, that sounds interesting. Does it not have any side effects? I heard there was. Any more information on what this does for our body?

TheGimp: Im a lil confused wether i should eat it daily or not, i hope some more people can help out with their opinions.

gmanea
09-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Calcium Casienate, that sounds interesting. Does it not have any side effects? I heard there was. Any more information on what this does for our body?

Casein protein is the predominant component, approximately 75%, of cow's milk It has different bioactive peptides (α-, -, and κ- caseins) compared to whey protein. The major difference in amino acid profile compared to whey protein is the low levels (< 0.5%) of the amino acid cysteine.

Perhaps the most striking difference between whey and caseinates is the rate of digestion and absorption into the body. After consuming whey proteins there is a rapid rise in levels of blood amino acids which returns to baseline in approximately 2 hours. Casein, however, coagulates in the stomach, forming a curd, and is digested far more slowly, leading to a more moderate rise in blood amino acids that is sustained for up to 7 hours.

In terms, of muscle hypertrophy, whey could be considered a 'fast protein' which promotes protein synthesis (ie. it's anabolic) whereas casein is a 'slow protein' which significantly slows protein breakdown (ie. it's anti-catabolic). The bio-active peptides in casein may also have anabolic and anti-catabolic effects.

In an interesting study by Demling and DeSanti (2000), over-weight untrained men were placed on a diet, given a resistance training program and took supplemental protein either as a hydrolysed casein protein blend or as a whey protein blend. The subjects who supplemented their diet with the hydrolysed casein protein blend lost 3kg more fat and gained 2kg more muscle than those supplementing with the whey protein blend. Unsurprisingly, increase in strength was 31% greater in the casein group.

Thus it appears calcium caseinate may be useful in promoting muscle gain and fat loss while dieting especially in untrained individuals

It is actually now my favourite protein supplement. Of course I take WPI/WPC post workout (as it is fast absorbing). I've heard a lot of people claim their fat loss claims mostly to thank CC for it. The CC I buy is over 90% protein. As far as side effects, I havn't experienced any.

Scorpion
09-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Thanks, im going to be buying some of this. I just read up here n there on the web about it, it seems like a brilliant supplement for some extra protein.

Thanks for your help :)

TheGimp
09-18-2004, 06:14 AM
A few points.

Olive oil is not a source of essential fatty acids. It is still a source of good fats.

I am also a vegetarian. I use Reflex brand Micellar Casein available from www.monstersupplements.com. If you want some ideas for sources of protein then please check out my journal (link available in my signature) where I regularly post my diet.

The points that others have made that saturated fat should be avoided are perfectly valid. It is best to limit oneself to no more than 20g of saturated fat a day. However as you noted, you are unhealthily underweight and need every help you can get to pack on the pounds. Cheese is calorie dense, and tastes good!

Aspect
09-19-2004, 02:47 AM
As Gimp says, in your particular case you need to focus more on weight gain than on the saturated fat issue, at least at the moment. Once you've put some weight on then you may need to look more closely, but in the short term (which could be for several months) if cheese is what puts weight on you, then eat cheese!

I'm sure you don't need to be told of the value of nuts and seeds as calorie-dense sources of protein, but I'll emphasise them again and remind you that they can be good sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Walnuts in particular are a good source of healthful oils, though other nuts and seeds are good choices too.

At your weight you don't actually need much protein in order to gain muscle - 80-100g per day will be plenty (though more won't do any harm). What you need are calories, and lots of them. So once you've got your protein intake sorted out, start hitting the calorie-dense foods - whether that's breads or dried fruits for carbs, nuts, seeds, oils or cheeses for fats or whatever. And of course, fruit juices and milk can be easy sources of calories.

Another piece of advice if you find it difficult to eat a lot is to simply bulid up gradually. Don't try to eat 1000 extra calories per day; your stomach won't like it. Add maybe 2-300 and stay with that for a week, then add another 2-300 and so on until you start to grow. You'll find it much easier as your body will be able to adapt to the increased intake over time.

Good luck!

Ironman_1964
09-19-2004, 03:33 AM
A few points.
Olive oil is not a source of essential fatty acids. It is still a source of good fats.

I was not aware of Olive Oil lack of EFAs however; I have made the switch to Flax Seed Oil.

Scorpion
09-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys. Thats some good advice there.

Im getting roughly 140grams of Protein through my day so i reckon thats good for now. Thanks for mentioning about the nuts, your right ... I have almonds ...

I make almond milk at home, grind 250grams of almonds into a paste and add water until it becomes like milk, 250grams makes roughly 1.1litres of almond milk, good in protein, and chuckloaded with calories. I have a 200ml glass of that a day too.

Thanks once again for the advice. I hope to post some good before and after pictures in a few months time.