PDA

View Full Version : weighing food?

akomabutisakama
09-18-2004, 01:32 PM
i was wondering how to weigh a chicken breast do u weight it pre cooked or cooked.

ogarchamplin
09-18-2004, 02:17 PM
I always weigh cooked on a digtal scale. I have a nice one that you can zero out after you add your plate, and then each food.

Max-Mex
09-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Cooked.

Ironman_1964
09-19-2004, 03:23 AM
I weigh my food after I cook it.

Feminator
09-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Raw. The nutritional information you read for food is generally for food when it's raw unless stated otherwise. Also when food's cooked it's generally mixed in with other ingredients so the weight is meaningless.

ogarchamplin
09-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Raw. The nutritional information you read for food is generally for food when it's raw unless stated otherwise. Also when food's cooked it's generally mixed in with other ingredients so the weight is meaningless.

so if you want to eat 8oz of steak you are going to weigh it first? so in the end you only get 6oz..i disagree with you

AllUp
09-20-2004, 08:41 AM
so if you want to eat 8oz of steak you are going to weigh it first? so in the end you only get 6oz..i disagree with you
Not to mention less protein after cooking in most cases.

Personally, I weigh most items cooked.

scrutdada
09-20-2004, 08:52 AM
you should weigh food prior to cooking. go to www.food.com and find a recipe callling for chicken, any recipe will tell you how much raw chicken to cook, not how cooked chicken you will need. you can cook one piece of chicken a thousand different ways, the only way tyson chicken can give you proper nutritional info is the raw contents. cooking changes the nutrional value as well as the weight of the food.

ogarchamplin
09-20-2004, 09:16 AM
you should weigh food prior to cooking. go to www.food.com and find a recipe callling for chicken, any recipe will tell you how much raw chicken to cook, not how cooked chicken you will need. you can cook one piece of chicken a thousand different ways, the only way tyson chicken can give you proper nutritional info is the raw contents. cooking changes the nutrional value as well as the weight of the food.

listen when you see a commercial for a burger or whatever it always says pre cooked weight. Why? becuase you lose mass when cooking. If i baked Talipia fillets or boil a chicken breast and i am allowed 9oz i eat 9ozs of cooked food.

ogarchamplin
09-20-2004, 09:18 AM
http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/dh/Content.asp?ID=865

Weigh raw fruits and vegetables, but weigh meat, poultry, and fish after cooking. A serving size is three ounces. Be aware that restaurants give you the pre-cooked weight. Use these rules to convert raw weight into cooked weight:

ogarchamplin
09-20-2004, 09:21 AM
http://www.drugs.com/CG/PRE_COMPETITION_MEALS_FOR_ATHLETES.html

Non-Carbohydrate Food Servings

Meat / Meat Substitutes: Eat ____ servings per day from this group. The amounts below refer to cooked serving sizes.

1/4 cup canned tuna or salmon

1 ounce chicken without skin

1 large egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute (no more than 3 eggs each week)

1 ounce fish (not breaded or fried)

1 ounce lean beef or pork

1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese

1 inch cube or 1 ounce lowfat solid cheese

1/2 cup tofu

1 ounce turkey without skin

Fats: Eat ____ servings per day from this group.

6 almond or cashew nuts, 10 peanuts, or 4 pecan halves

1/8 of a medium avocado

1 tsp oil, such as safflower, canola, corn, or olive

2 tsp peanut butter

2 Tbsp low fat cream cheese

1 tsp regular margarine

1 tsp regular mayonnaise or 1 Tbsp low fat mayonnaise

1 Tbsp regular salad dressing or 2 Tbsp low fat salad dressing

8 ripe olives or 10 green stuffed olives