PDA

View Full Version : Upper Body Only

BigNic
09-19-2004, 12:19 AM
I think we all realize this is not the optimal way to train, but with the recent threads on upper body routines i was curious if anyone knew of some famous lfters who only worked upper body. I have one in mind that i recently read about in the book "west coast bodybuilding scene" but i cannot remember his name. When i come up with it ill post it.

EviscerationX
09-19-2004, 12:43 AM
I think you'd only want to do this if your legs are way the heck ahead of your upper body...then I can understand. Wouldn't wanna turn into Tom Platz or anything...:D

J450n
09-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Johnny Bravo ;)

BigNic
09-19-2004, 10:50 AM
lol i would never wanna do it. It just seems like there is a lot of interest in upper only workouts recently.

SW
09-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Completely useless and detrimental to body symetry. No point in making upper body much stronger and heavier if your lower body can't take it.

I saw a bowflex info. yesterday and true to form his legs were tiny while his upper was pretty nice.

BigNic
09-19-2004, 11:26 AM
lol ok might at well delete this thread. I agree, it is ridiculous to want to build your upper body only. I wouldnt want to. However i merely asked out of curiosity because so many people have been talking about upper only routines.

orbital
09-19-2004, 11:57 AM
I think a lot of people who are new to BB'ing don't train the lower body thinking its a waste of time or something. Experienced lifters understand how foolish this line of thought is. So there probably are no famous BB'ers who only train upper body. There are probably tons of upper body only guys at your local gym. They generally like to curl a lot as well lol.

BigNic
09-19-2004, 12:41 PM
curl jockeys

Saint Patrick
09-19-2004, 03:51 PM
I'd do it if I was paralyzed from the waist down, or otherwise unable to use my legs (injury, etc.)

BigNic
09-19-2004, 05:26 PM
i used to know a dude that was paralyzed from his waist down, and he lifted. He was pretty big actually. I remember he used to have to have his boy help him when he did weighted chins, because other wise when he done he would fall down. He was a really cool guy.

MDN
09-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but i have a friend who is absoultely stubborn about only working uppperbody and refuses to work the lower body...

after lecturing time after time about the importance of legs it just goes out the other ear. What could I say to him to make him realise that his logic is off? I care so much because i reckon he's got potential to get big, but is restricted to this absurd belief

Cheers

MixmasterNash
09-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but i have a friend who is absoultely stubborn about only working uppperbody and refuses to work the lower body...

after lecturing time after time about the importance of legs it just goes out the other ear. What could I say to him to make him realise that his logic is off? I care so much because i reckon he's got potential to get big, but is restricted to this absurd belief

Easy. Pay some hot chicks to make fun of his legs.

BigNic
09-19-2004, 07:13 PM
hahahahhaha

Organichu
09-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Easy. Pay some hot chicks to make fun of his legs.

People like you make the internet worth browsing.

AzBboy
09-19-2004, 09:26 PM
what would everyone's views be if it was the other way around, trained legs only?

BigNic
09-19-2004, 09:27 PM
lol..platzzz. JK he still had a good upper, just not to par

PizDoff
09-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Pick him up and slam him on his head. :)

Praetorian
09-20-2004, 12:41 AM
ive been toying with the idea of changing to an only upperr-body routine. thing is that my legs are big-ass treetrunks, and my upper-body doesnt match up to them. if i just go and do a couple of sets of squats each month they still stay the same. even though i have a decent amount of bodyfat, theres very little on my legs. im afraid that i'll end up like platz if i train ledgs religiously. heh

EviscerationX
09-20-2004, 01:06 AM
^^^

I'll trade you legs ;)

And Tom Platz wasn't religious...he was far beyond that. He would stretch for 20 minutes and do endless squats...and when he was done he'd get on the cycle and do 20 miles...he was a crazy ass... :windup: