PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Question............

[[[----]]]
09-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Sup guys. Here is pretty much what my daily diet looks like:

Breakfast: Packet of Quaker Oats
4 egg white omelet + 1 Yolk
Bananna

Pre-workout: 8oz. of yogurt
Post-workout: 2 scoops Designer Whey

Lunch: Tuna Sandwich on Wheat
some mixed veggies or something

Dinner: 8 oz. Chicken Breast or Salmon
Brown Rice
Steamed Broccoli or Squash

Bedtime:2 scoops protein

This is what my daily diet is. Im trying to bulk and still not gaining. Well a little
but not much. what else could i throw in between these meals to help me bulk? Appreciate the help [[[----]]]

Scorpion
09-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I've added a cup of Raisins into my diet to help me get some more calories.

1 Cup Of Raisins = 490calories.

Would it help to add that into your diet?

[[[----]]]
09-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Yeah, thats sounds good. Anything to get those extra clean calories ya know. thanks for the feedback. What about peanut Butter ?

Zearoth
09-19-2004, 05:59 PM
]]']Sup guys. Here is pretty much what my daily diet looks like:

Bananna

Brown Rice

This is what my daily diet is. Im trying to bulk and still not gaining. Well a little
but not much. what else could i throw in between these meals to help me bulk? Appreciate the help [[[----]]]

That looks good to me, just make sure if that contains adequete calories based on your measurements, etc...

As for Quaker Oats packages, I'd say either buy rolled oats or get another source of carbs in the morning. I also ate thos, but they are filled with unecessary sugars and are highly processed.

All in all, it looks good.

mattburns
09-19-2004, 06:00 PM
be careful not to eat too many raisins, otherwise you'll be paying an unexpected visit to the toilet :p

[[[----]]]
09-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Cool cool. sounds good guys thanks

Alke
09-19-2004, 11:47 PM
]]']Sup guys. Here is pretty much what my daily diet looks like:

Bananna

Brown Rice

that a bulk?

couple of questions..how long have you NOT been gaining?
how much do you weigh now?
how long you been lifting?
what does you routine look like roughly?
how much sleep you get?

do you do more than stuff in the gym ie: sports, military, ride your bike to and from school-work?

My off the cuff response is if you are not gaining then slowly increase calories by 200 every day till you gain 1 pound, then you know you dialed in.

eat that much every day till you stop gaining again, then increase by another 200, and weigh yourself in a week. keep doing this till you reach your target bulk weight. dont weight yourself every day, thats alosing battle.....eat your target calories and check it once a week.

everyone is different and needs a different amount of food to gain that pound a week and there is the other factors if you got a chance to answer those questions I am sure myself and others can give some more specific answers that might help.

[[[----]]]
09-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I have'nt been gaining for probably a month, i weigh about 170 even, I've been lifting consistently for probably about a year and a half, and here's my usual routine
Mon-Chest
Tues-Back
Wed-tris
Thur-bis
Fri-legs+abs
I usually get in about 7-8 hours a night of sleep.

I do have a problem of weighing myself everyday and kinda get discouraged. Ill stop that. Also the gym is really the only excercise i get throughout the day. I dont keep an exact count on my calories, but i roughly eat the same everyday. You think I should throw in some extra things in between Meals?? Maybe a few tbsp. of PB, etc??
thanks for the feedback....

Zearoth
09-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't think that your triceps and biceps should be given an entire day dedicated to training them.

[[[----]]]
09-20-2004, 02:40 PM
No? I like to just because i can get more reps and work'em kinda harder on separate days. Sometimes i'll even do tris on wed. and then legs and abs on thurs.. Its even cooler because i get even more strength out of them. i like to hurt them....:bash:

Canadian Crippler
09-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Let's consider the facts here. Your quads, hams, and calves combined are probably a good... 10 times bigger than your tris? So why would they get even workout time?

[[[----]]]
09-20-2004, 03:08 PM
I Dont know..hmmmm. That's just the routine I've started to do. Sometimes I'll throw in some legs on my bi or tri days.

Zearoth
09-20-2004, 06:21 PM
It's hard to believe a whole day goes to biceps. I only push myself to 4 sets, tops.

Don't get caught up thinking that working a muscle with lots of volume will make it stronger and larger.

I would suggest looking into the WBB Routine 1. IT's a great routine for starters.

Alke
09-20-2004, 07:43 PM
yeah I dont think you need a whole dar for biceps or triceps either...I think most here would agree that such a small muscle group can get worked in with the larger ones and this will give you more recovery time. Remmeber you grow outside the gym, gym is just the catalyst.

I didnt add it up but just looking at your first post I would guess you eating around 2400 caloires give or take. plus if your not writing it down, you could be a lot shorter than you think some days on caloires.

with you weighing 170, I would bump calories up to between 2600-3000 = pick your poison and stick with it. weigh yourself in a week and go from there.

with almost 2 years of training you reaching a turning point and will need to really focus on diet to keep making quality gains on a consistant basis.

I would make a quess that your not gaining cause the food you used to eat to gain is not enough anymore. As you get stronger you need more calories to maintain the muscle you build and it becomes more difficult to keep calories dialed in. This is why weekly weigh ins are important. By weighing yourself once a week you can be sure that you are eating properly for your specific goal whether it is losing weight or gaining weight.

I meet people in the gym constantly who say they are bulking and if I ask them what their goal is and how much they gaining each week, they answer I dont know, but two weeks ago I gained a pound and I feel heavier this week so it must be working. That is a hit or miss type of strategy......I am not saying that you need to be anal about things, just be consistant so you know where you stand with your short term goals...okay, I am getting off track and starting to ramble.

uhm, I would think if your getting stronger but not getting any size then really work on keeping calories consistant.

back to your routines, it sounds like you may have fallen into a pattern with it. Its hard but give serious thought to trying the WBBG routines here. I would think just switchng to a 3-day type split might help with the bulk due to recovery time alone. REALLY hit legs hard, they can take a lot more abuse than most people give them credit for = more overall growth.

I fell into that trap myself and havent worked legs like I should till the last 6 months. Let me tell you I have made more gains in the last 6 months bulking than in the last 2 years. I cant say it is from working legs twice a week with westside is the only factor to a succesful bulk, but that and a good eye on calories sure did help.

okay this is turing into a book....basically my advice is to up the calories, give yourself more recovery time, play with some different routines (sticking to each one for at least three months before changing to a differerent one), and weighing yourself each week to make sure your eating properly for a 1-2 pound gain.

if you wanna be really anal (like me) tape yourself and get measuerments each month to make sure the exercises and rep scheme your using are causing the muscles to grow properly. If there is no growth that month for a body part then I change something.

let me know how you do, maybe start a journal here...then everyone can give there .02 :)

[[[----]]]
09-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Cool, great advice Alke, I will definately bump the cals up a notch and the journal thing is a good idea too. So It is POSSIBLE to bulk and just gain muscle and no fat right? Just as long as your eating a little bit more than you burn right?

[[[----]]]
09-20-2004, 09:13 PM
oh, and I actually did start bumping the cals up today , so wish me some luck! :strong:

Alke
09-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Now isnt that what we all want? :D easier said than done my friend.

but I think it is possible, there are a few journals here of guys doing just that.....all depends how much effort you want to put into the gym equation.

RussianRocket
09-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Milk and Penut butter, that adds like a shi@t load of cal to my diet.

Alke
09-20-2004, 10:19 PM
milk...gawd I think I am drinking 2-3 gallons a week right now. I probably need to buy a cow when I get to 260lbs....I wonder how much a cow costs...nah, my landlord wouldnt go for it :)